DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should I be having second thoughts?

It is said that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. So how dangerous is a lot?

I am hoping to buy a Mavic Pro in the very near future and, like any new pilot-in-waiting, am vociferously absorbing every scrap of knowledge I can find online, from this excellent forum to YouTube and beyond. Problem is, the more I read/see/hear the more concerned I become about the validity of my decision.

Whether it's fly-aways, NFZs, bird attacks, hostile locals, LOS or just plain drones falling out of the sky I worry about sending a £1,000+ piece of gear off into the unknown with no guarantee of its return. Am I alone in this feeling?

Can any experienced MP pilot offer reassurances that I'm doing the right thing? It's an exciting hobby I'd like to be part of but not if I'll just be pouring money down a black hole.

Appreciate your help.
If this helps, I have been flying these machines for around 6 years now, every one of they've been DJI. I've never had a fly away, bird strike, crash, or motor failure of any kind. Dji are as good as it gets and they are good and there's no doubt about it. Yes we all have our concerns from time to time, but as long as you set your aircraft up properly then you'll be absolutely fine. Of course things can go wrong, but it's pretty rare on the grand scheme of things.
The Mavic is an extremely intelligent machine. As long as you take your time you'll be fine.

Hope this give you some extra confidence.

I'm in the same boat! Would like to hear from fellow Londoners of their experiences flying in London.

@Londroner haven't you ever flown a drone at all?

If this helps, I have been flying these machines for around 6 years now, every one of they've been DJI. I've never had a fly away, bird strike, crash, or motor failure of any kind. Dji are as good as it gets and they are good and there's no doubt about it. Yes we all have our concerns from time to time, but as long as you set your aircraft up properly then you'll be absolutely fine. Of course things can go wrong, but it's pretty rare on the grand scheme of things.
The Mavic is an extremely intelligent machine. As long as you take your time you'll be fine.

Hope this give you some extra confidence.
Thanks, it does. I guess this situation reminds me of the old computer acronym GIGO - garbage in, garbage out. :)

I'm in the same boat! Would like to hear from fellow Londoners of their experiences flying in London.

@Londroner haven't you ever flown a drone at all?
Hi @Youser. Currently flying a Hover Camera Passport, a £500 'selfie drone' that is controlled by wifi only and has a very limited range. It OK but has given me a taste for 'bigger things', like the Mavic Pro.

From what I've learned so far flying in any major city, especially London, is limited if not impossible for recreational drone pilots. I live out to the west and the best hope so far is Richmond Park, which has a dedicated model RC planes flying area. Haven't been there yet but it is clearly marked on Google Maps.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacjes