DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should I buy the Pro 2 with or without the Smart Controller?

Get Plus within 6 months of your M2 purchase, as it extends the warranty until the Plus term ends, which typically would be 2 years. Several components only have 6mo warranty.
Didn't know that...thanks for sharing Dan!

6 words: WITH WITH WITH WITH WITH WITH!

Haha to clarify; until I got the smart controller, I didn't really realize it, but getting your Mavic ready for flight is quote an involving process:
1. Switch on Mavic
2. Switch on controller
3. Fire up the app on your control device
4. Put control device in controller and connect it
5. Pray the connection between app and controller is successful
6. Fly.

Now, all this is not rocket science, but when you want to fly, you want to be able to take your time to do all the IMPORTANT checks, like removing gimball clamp, battery check, etc. I found that the above mentioned proces takes away your focus from the important things. Now, with the SC, the process is hugely simplified to 2/3 steps:
1. Switch on Mavic
2. Switch on Controller
3. Click "Go Fly" and you're set...

I found that this makes me much more relaxed to fly and much more focussed on the pre-flight checks. Im addition, it save me from having to carry an extra device and extra cables, etc... I would never want anything else anymore.
That supposed SC convenience is easily recreated with a dedicated iPad, left permanently attached to and mounted onto the RC. That's what I use. Screen size is almost twice as large as the SC, and you aren't stuck with the crappy, custom Android version of GO 4 on the SC. iOS for the win, when it comes to DJI! Has been since day 1.

Reactions: zeusfl
That supposed SC convenience is easily recreated with a dedicated iPad, left permanently attached to and mounted onto the RC. That's what I use. Screen size is almost twice as large as the SC, and you aren't stuck with the crappy, custom Android version of GO 4 on the SC. iOS for the win, when it comes to DJI! Has been since day 1.
Yeah, me too. For my Phantom 4 Pro, I picked up an iPad Mini 4 with GPS/cell from Apple through their refurb store. That works great. Almost as bright as my Smart Controller, not as convenient, but larger screen and a lot cheaper.

I would recommend starting RC first before AC, so that AC can link in the quickest time. Definitely turn AC off first.

I've just purchased one with the Smart Controller, hoping I see the befit over the standard controller. I guess I'll find out when I get around to flying the machine :)

I've just purchased one with the Smart Controller, hoping I see the befit over the standard controller. I guess I'll find out when I get around to flying the machine :)
You can also pick up a stock regular M2 controller on the cheap, to use with iOS for a larger screen. Lots for sale used, from those that crashed their M2 aircraft and didn't have Refresh, and just want to sell off the remaining accessories.

You can also pick up a stock regular M2 controller on the cheap, to use with iOS for a larger screen. Lots for sale used, from those that crashed their M2 aircraft and didn't have Refresh, and just want to sell off the remaining accessories.
I was cruising ebay for an M2 controller. There are a few, in the $300 -$350 range. I didn’t want one that bad. Where are you finding all these controllers “on the cheap”?

Reactions: jumblemon
I was cruising ebay for an M2 controller. There are a few, in the $300 -$350 range. I didn’t want one that bad. Where are you finding all these controllers “on the cheap”?
They are $500 new from DJI. However, those used ones for sale are highly negotiable. If they are selling them because the crashed their M2 drone, they have no need for it any more. On the other hand, if they upgraded to the SC after buying the M2, they need to recoup money already paid for the SC. The latter won't be very flexible. The former will. First question to ask the seller is why they are selling it! ;)

They are $500 new from DJI. However, those used ones for sale are highly negotiable. If they are selling them because the crashed their M2 drone, they have no need for it any more. On the other hand, if they upgraded to the SC after buying the M2, they need to recoup money already paid for the SC. The latter won't be very flexible. The former will. First question to ask the seller is why they are selling it! ;)
Seems to me the first question is where to find where all these used M2 controllers are. As to negotiating...I've not found ebay transactions to be very negotiable, so....back to question 1....

I bought my Mavic last year, before the Smart Controller was released. I'm seriously considering buying the SC as a Christmas present to myself, as the iPad I use for a device can be hard to read in bright sunlight. (The ability to record images to an SD card on the SC is another advantage — even if the drone is lost the pictures aren't!)

Check the classifieds forum on this site. That's where I got my 2nd one for $200.

If you ever plan on using the remote with a BT-300, be sure the remote is version RC1A and not RC1B.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Just get a good Samsung Smartphone and never have issues. If not that Crystal Sky. iPhone is last thing I would use. I bought new iPad 1 month ago and it's useless. My Samsung Note 8 is bright and always just works.
You made a really smart choice buy purchasing at Best Buy not so much because of the financing but because if its not perfect you can take it back.

Couple things that we check for when purchasing for our clients , straight out of the box .
It has to have the ability to hover in the house somewhere near a window and that horizon has to be perfect .

If it needs anything more that a compass spin than it goes back to the store and the reason for this is the best ones always come perfect out of the box and everything just works. Something to consider since you made the wise choice of a non DJI purchase.

When it comes to the Smart Controller , its simple if your going to fly in adverse weather conditions , wet or extreme cold you should get the Smart Controller because Iphones and Ipads do not negotiate extreme colds or rain as well as the Smart Controller. .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your drone in and out of the storm.
Coal

I just got my M2P and SC from Bestbuy... BEFORE YOU ACTIVATE IT, GET DJI CARE REFRESH from DJI

buying it BEFORE you activate it will save you time and effort... I'm glad I did it this way

The SC is much easier to get flying rather than using your phone... furthermore.. you can pick up a normal controller on ebay for $200 if you really want one.

If I need data on my SC... I just hotspot into my phone... it's that easy

Reactions: Skyflyer129
If youre a photographer or into photography the smart Controller is sweet. Much faster setup for those quickly changing light conditions. Really enjoying mine. Plus still pretty portable to throw in the pack. I prefer the radar map over preloaded maps which works without cellular

That's an interesting view as I found the small screen frustrating for photography, the DJI Go interface has a lot of information on it making it more difficult to see what the drone is seeing especially in poor light whereas I find the larger 10in screen makes it easier to get the photos as I want first time.

I had the M2P then bought the M2Z with the SC. I was using the iPad mini 4 with the M2P and liked it. I just took advantage of the bundle with the Zoom and SC. Honestly after using both, I tend to prefer the iPad mini 4. I use a shade with it so the screen is fine and I am just used to the bigger screen. I will use the SC once in awhile but it is not my first choice.

I'm guessing the Mavic 3 will launch this year. Will the SC be compatible? I'm thinking the MP3 will have Ocsynch 3 or something similar.

I got my M2P with the SC and don’t regret it. Like anything else, there are trade offs. For me, the convenience factor of just taking it out of the bag & flying is a winner. With less fiddling with devices, I’m able to focus on flying and making photos & video clips.

I'm guessing the Mavic 3 will launch this year. Will the SC be compatible? I'm thinking the MP3 will have Ocsynch 3 or something similar.
Ocusync is basically a custom set of protocols that run over standard Wi-Fi hardware. Unless DJI deliberately wants to kill the sales of the SC and the Goggles, new versions of Ocusync should be downwardly compatible with older controllers. They may need a firmware upgrade, but the hardware should work.

Reactions: Greenflash
I own the mavic 2 pro and smart controller and I absolutely love just turning on the remote and the drone and being able to fly within seconds. Have not had an issue with it so far. Screen is pretty bright, even in direct sunlight. I have had the screen blank out once or twice but still had full control of the drone, and if you are within VLOS like you should be, you have no problem. Then i just powered the controller off and on and it was fixed.

Reactions: Skyflyer129

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaleUt.