DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should I buy the Pro 2 with or without the Smart Controller?

So decided to take advantage of the holiday sales and pick up a Mavic Pro 2. Going to be getting it from Best Buy so I can use the 18 month interest free financing but now wondering if I should get the smart controller package or not.

What are your thoughts?
I have all DJI products from Phantoms Mavics and Inspires..The best way to go is with the new ipad mini 5..You get a larger screen, good in sunlight and have all the flexibility of a tablet...Fits in the controller too..

I'm very happy with my decision to get a Smart Controller. Turn on the SC, turn on the AC, Go Fly. No worrying about connecting a device and the troubles that come along with that.
Well, yeah...that's once scenario. For me, it's..."turn on the SC, turn on the AC, log the SC onto my iPhone as a hot spot to download maps and/or Litchi mission, connect to the DJI RE goggles, go fly.

Fair enough, there's lots of variables to consider. I've been surprised that I haven't really needed to download maps all the often, and I don't do missions. VLOS only for the mavic, although I do enjoy my hobby FPV builds :)

Fair enough, there's lots of variables to consider. I've been surprised that I haven't really needed to download maps all the often, and I don't do missions. VLOS only for the mavic, although I do enjoy my hobby FPV builds :)
Just starting FPV quads. I have a Diatone 349HD v 2.0 right here on my desk, after many, many hours on Liftoff. Haven't flown it yet.....

Bought the smart controller and it it so great to unzip the case unfold the Mavic 2 and take off. I had a dedicated Samsung Tab on my old one and even dedicated with a sunscreen it was no where near as bright or convenient to use. My vote if you can bear the hefty price = Smart Controller.

Reactions: dorgs
So decided to take advantage of the holiday sales and pick up a Mavic Pro 2. Going to be getting it from Best Buy so I can use the 18 month interest free financing but now wondering if I should get the smart controller package or not.

What are your thoughts?
I have the Smart Controller, and for me, I find it worth the money, It's faster to set up, fits in the Fly more Bundle carrying Bag, and takes a lot less time to get up and flying when compared to having to fit your phone in the standard controller, and connecting the wires to it, with the smart controller, there have been many times where I have left my cell phone at home and used the smart controller only, for me, it's just easier to carry than the standard controller, and trust me, once you use the smart controller, you'll forget that you have the standard controller, my standard is now just a backup should anything happen to my smart controller

What are your thoughts?

I don’t see what is so inconvenient about using a phone. You need to be doing a few pre flight checks anyways so I don’t think anyone should be in a rush...

I use a Mavmount with my phone. The Mavmount is always connected to the FC. I just have to plug in the phone and open the app.

It's not worth the money. I CAn put my Samsung 10+ in my controller and have better portability and internet. It is very bright and always works. Saved me a ton of money and is lighter and smaller. I have always heard about issues with Smart Controller too. I don't have to download my maps ahead of time or have a Hotspot.
I just got my M2P and SC from Bestbuy... BEFORE YOU ACTIVATE IT, GET DJI CARE REFRESH from DJI

buying it BEFORE you activate it will save you time and effort... I'm glad I did it this way

The SC is much easier to get flying rather than using your phone... furthermore.. you can pick up a normal controller on ebay for $200 if you really want one.

If I need data on my SC... I just hotspot into my phone... it's that easy

Hello,
I am very satisfied with my Smart Controller because it is very quick to implement, very bright screen and I have never encountered a problem with it.
cordially
Eric

The SC is so much more convenient but the range is no where near that of my phone and standard controller.
Having said that it is still easily far enough.

Well, go for the SC. I love it.

However, be aware that the next Ocusync 3 is rumored to come out early 2020 which may limit the use of the SC to M2.

Well, go for the SC. I love it.

However, be aware that the next Ocusync 3 is rumored to come out early 2020 which may limit the use of the SC to M2.
How would it be limited? Unless they decided to start over, Ocusync is software based. DJI uses custom protocols over standard Wi-Fi chipsets for Ocusync. An Ocusync 3 device should fallback to Ocusync 2 capabilities when connected to older hardware.

How would it be limited? Unless they decided to start over, Ocusync is software based. DJI uses custom protocols over standard Wi-Fi chipsets for Ocusync. An Ocusync 3 device should fallback to Ocusync 2 capabilities when connected to older hardware.
If that were really true, then it should be OS1 compatible. I'm sure there's hardware dependencies.

If that were really true, then it should be OS1 compatible. I'm sure there's hardware dependencies.
It should be downwardly compatible with Ocusync 1. AFAIK, the hardware dependencies are on CPU processing end, not the radio end.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard