DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should I fly at the Sunshine Skyway?

-MavicMiniPilot

Reactions
Hello, I am trying to plan out a flight to get some photos of the sunshine skyway. Wondering if anyone has any advice for flying there. I am planning on using a Mavic mini. I’ve looked at launching from the fishing pier but I don’t want to risk getting tangled on lines. Im not sure we’re to launch from because I don’t want to fly that far to get to the bridge because I’m assuming since it’s along the water it will be windy. Merry Christmas!

Pick a spot on the pier where people aren't casting off or time it properly and you should be good.

I drove the skyway two weeks ago. It was the first time in many years and it is a Beautiful bridge.

Off topic but aren’t Notams notice to airmen? Regarding manned aircraft?
NOTAMS are indeed for airmen or anyone operating a manned aircraft or a UAV in National Airspace.

They provide information regarding a certain area with a brief description of where and when a manned aircraft or other UAV operations are happening.

As a UAV operator I have issued many NOTAM's for planned flights where I knew there could be manned aircraft or UAV operations. As a UAV operator, everyone should be checking NOTAM's that may be in the area you may be operating in.

NOTAMS are indeed for airmen or anyone operating a manned aircraft or a UAV in National Airspace.

They provide information regarding a certain area with a brief description of where and when a manned aircraft or other UAV operations are happening.

As a UAV operator I have issued many NOTAM's for planned flights where I knew there could be manned aircraft or UAV operations. As a UAV operator, everyone should be checking NOTAM's that may be in the area you may be operating in.
Thanks for clarifying

Reactions: sancap
Looks like someone is flying their drone illegally -- without having taken and "passed" the online TRUST test...

The Recreational UAS Safety Test (TRUST)

Note that this is a legal requirement that you must complete BEFORE you fly a drone. You can't just open the box, fire up your drone, and go fly it without knowing the regulations (and passing this test) -- that's illegal (and dangerous, for you, for other drone pilots who want to keep enjoying the priveledges of flying their drones, and for innocent bystanders).

Please please please learn the safety rules BEFORE you fly your drone.
This is not "optional". Follow the link above to get started.

Last edited:
Reactions: -MavicMiniPilot
Looks like someone is flying their drone illegally -- without having taken and "passed" the online TRUST test...

The Recreational UAS Safety Test (TRUST)

Note that this is a legal requirement that you must complete BEFORE you fly a drone. You can't just open the box, fire up your drone, and go fly it without knowing the regulations (and passing this test) -- that's illegal (and dangerous, for you, for other drone pilots who want to keep enjoying the priveledges of flying their drones, and for innocent bystanders).

Please please please learn the safety rules BEFORE you fly your drone.
This is not "optional". Follow the link above to get started.
I have already passed the trust test.

Reactions: Aerophile
I have already passed the trust test.
Great - and thank you.

There was probably something on there about NOTAMs; OK, our memories are not always perfect, but NOTAMs are a pretty major thing. If you get a TFR for a VIP visiting town, the consequences for busting the closed airspace may be non-trivial.

Bottom line: Yep, NOTAMs apply to us drone pilots, too.

I am registered and
Great - and thank you.

There was probably something on there about NOTAMs; OK, our memories are not always perfect, but NOTAMs are a pretty major thing. If you get a TFR for a VIP visiting town, the consequences for busting the closed airspace may be non-trivial.

Everyone is still learning :) I always check if there are any tfr’s or if I’m in controlled airspace on aloft. I appreciate the clarification.

I am registered and

Everyone is still learning :) I always check if there are any tfr’s or if I’m in controlled airspace on aloft. I appreciate the clarification.
Yes, we all are (well, hopefully!) :cool: . And we're all human, so not always perfect.

Thank you for doing the right things -- when people don't, things get worse for everyone.

Great - and thank you.

Those aren't mentioned in the TRUST test, at most it may refer to LAANC or just "controlled airspace" via apps like B4UFly/dronezone/etc You definitely learn about NOTAM for your part 107 tho.

Go to airvuz.com and search for previous videos that have been shot there....there are LOTS of previous flyers and you can learn from their flight paths

Here is one of the many photos I got of it today, I will be posting a video soon. The flight went well but it was a little bit gusty.

Attachments

• 4EDD404E-1D9F-49C9-A875-C55968060DD8.jpeg
    4EDD404E-1D9F-49C9-A875-C55968060DD8.jpeg
    6.1 MB · Views: 36
There's an accessible beach on the NW side. Perfectly clear for a take off.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J