DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should I return my new drone?

• Thread starter Deleted member 125445
  • Start date
I guess I interpret the VLOS differently. Yes I'm very new, (2 weeks), into my drone but I thought the rule meant you had to have an unobstructed view of WHERE the drone is even if you can't see it. But you can't be in say the front yard with the drone in the back and the house in-between. Because you can't see what may me coming up from behind the drone. Where as even if the drone is out of visual sight you can still see something going at it in the VLOS.
A newbies 2 cents
That’s not a correct Interpertation.

That’s not a correct Interpertation.

Thank you, yes I'm understanding that. Which in turn make the MM a 500 yards drone. For me anyway. I'm waiting on strobe lights. Hopefully that will increase my range.

I am also a new pilot and one of the first things I did in this forum was to ask what Line of Sight meant - particularly in light of all of the videos I have seen of people flying their drones far past the line of sight. My take away from the responses I recieved has helped me form the foundation of how I want to try to approach this wonderful hobby/sport.

The main rule I try to live by is: Be responsible and considerate of others - one of the reasons for the Line of Sight rule as I see it is safety - this is particularly important in how it relates to how my use of my drone might effect other people. Flying in a way to avoid causing problems for my neighbors and or others in the area I am flying. So using line of sight and or the view I see on my mobile phone while flying will help me to try to maintain control of my drone while avoiding potential situations that could hurt someone - cause an accident and so on. I do fly beyond my Line of Sight at times, but I always know the orientation of my drone, (either thru sight or by my controllers Map and camera view from the Drone)

Bottom line, I am respectful of others and I never fly in places where an unforeseen crash or loss of control might cause hurt or mayhem.

I really enjoy flying and even with those kinds of restrictions I can still get a thrill from seeing our world from a whole different perspective. I hope you find your answers and wish you lots of luck and enjoyment of your new Drone.

This is part of the FAA defin
Thank you, yes I'm understanding that. Which in turn make the MM a 500 yards drone. For me anyway. I'm waiting on strobe lights. Hopefully that will increase my range.
FWIW Part of the FAA's definition of VLOS is:
Determine the unmanned aircraft’s attitude, altitude, and direction of flight;
Attitude = a position of the body proper.
So just seeing a blinking light is really not VLOS.
Just so you know.

• Love
Reactions: dirkclod
I really hate to use this phrase, but, Individual Responsablilty.

I would like to add one more comment to my above comment with respect to insecurity in flying the drone. If you look at my last video of Miami Bayfront Park (I will not post it here so as to not disrupt the thread) you will see you really don't have to fly very far to get good footage. In fact, flying over 15-20 seconds to a minute should get you all of the footage you should need after editing out bad stuff. All you really need is 3-5 seconds of good footage of video. Lots of 3-6 second clips put together is better than one long and meandering roaming around the scenery. Here is a link to my site to look up that 2 1/2 minute film. Dale Davis

I returned one without cause. Big Mistake, huge restocking fee I did not know about until I got the refund. If you go that route, find Something wrong with it.
VLOS does not have to be you, can be anyone along the route that can be in contact.
Trying to see my Mini? That’s a trip, Huh where’d it go? Can see my colorful wetsuited Phantoms a long ways.

Keep it

Nearly half of my flights are for fun and it's on those that I fly 1-2 mi out. LOS is ok for when I'm filming or staging shots but it's ridiculous to think you always need to keep the drone visible no matter what the FAA says. Just don't fly stupid, over cars, people, etc and have fun.
And that’s why We will be getting remote ID.

[
This is part of the FAA defin

FWIW Part of the FAA's definition of VLOS is:
Determine the unmanned aircraft’s attitude, altitude, and direction of flight;
Attitude = a position of the body proper.
So just seeing a blinking light is really not VLOS.
Just so you know.
Thank you. Been waiting on that. Guess that shot post#5
down huh.?
Yep ! First your problem would most likely be solved with two nice Fire House lights, you dont need to see the details of the drone in the sky just a light is fine.

Judgement call :)
I flew mine today and the wind took it about two miles away..( Mod Removed Language) wind...hehehe

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a set of DJI Goggles. I received the goggles last winter and am now just getting around to learning how to operate them. What is everyone’s thoughts about VLOS when you are virtually in the drone when it’s flying? I know there are limitations to this and seeing everything as if your looking at your drone from the ground can’t compete with the vision you’ll have from the goggles, but assuming you have a spotter and open airspace, flying with goggles on may not be a bad way to go.

I am a brand new pilot and I love my new Mavic Air 2. I have had no problems flying it, but I do have problems meeting the FAA Visual Line of Sight rule. I have decent vision, but I can't legally fly very far because I can't see the aircraft after a few hundred feet. I assume most pilots just ignore this rule, but I don't want to feel like a criminal every time I fly. A hobby is supposed to be fun, but this restriction takes away the fun. At this point, I think the best thing for me to do is to return the drone and get my money back. Does anyone want to talk me out of this?
[/QUOTE]

I'm not aiming this at anyone or trying to be a drone police but I think it is a fair question and is the type of scenario that VLOS is in place to avoid.

So if you're flying so far away that you can't see your UA, and all you know of it's surroundings, is what you can see on your screen, how would you avoid (for instance) a general aviation aircraft; that for whatever reason, was at your altitude? I suspect many that do fly out like this spend most of their time starring at the screen and while they have an idea as to where their UA is, they have little situational awareness of that airspace. Even if you were lucky enough to have the camera pointed in the direction of an oncoming aircraft you likely would not see it on a tiny 6" screen until it could be too late.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phoenix_00002