DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should I return my new drone?

• Thread starter Deleted member 125445
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 125445

I am a brand new pilot and I love my new Mavic Air 2. I have had no problems flying it, but I do have problems meeting the FAA Visual Line of Sight rule. I have decent vision, but I can't legally fly very far because I can't see the aircraft after a few hundred feet. I assume most pilots just ignore this rule, but I don't want to feel like a criminal every time I fly. A hobby is supposed to be fun, but this restriction takes away the fun. At this point, I think the best thing for me to do is to return the drone and get my money back. Does anyone want to talk me out of this?

Reactions: Hauptmann
I am a brand new pilot and I love my new Mavic Air 2. I have had no problems flying it, but I do have problems meeting the FAA Visual Line of Sight rule. I have decent vision, but I can't legally fly very far because I can't see the aircraft after a few hundred feet. I assume most pilots just ignore this rule, but I don't want to feel like a criminal every time I fly. A hobby is supposed to be fun, but this restriction takes away the fun. At this point, I think the best thing for me to do is to return the drone and get my money back. Does anyone want to talk me out of this?
Nope!

Do you ever drive 2-3 mph over the speed limit? If you do......you should be a-shame of yourself!;)

Last edited:

Yep ! First your problem would most likely be solved with two nice Fire House lights, you dont need to see the details of the drone in the sky just a light is fine.
You really only need to fly 500 ft to enjoy the Drone and its ability to Record what you think is pleasing to the Eye.

Those flashing lights are really bright, I would try that first , and if you cannot see them , than consider your options.
As long as you can see the screen , your most likely to be one of the safer pilots out there.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your mavic in the Rain.
Coal

Yep ! First your problem would most likely be solved with two nice Fire House lights, you dont need to see the details of the drone in the sky just a light is fine.
You really only need to fly 500 ft to enjoy the Drone and its ability to Record what you think is pleasing to the Eye.

Those flashing lights are really bright, I would try that first , and if you cannot see them , than consider your options.
As long as you can see the screen , your most likely to be one of the safer pilots out there.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your mavic in the Rain.
Coal
That is one of the things that annoys me most about that VLOS rule. Watching my screen is far safer than trying to fly by looking at the sky.

As some of the others said there's a lot of good video and photos to be had when your drone is in LOS. I don't worry to much about being beyond LOS as long as I can seen the screen and know where I'm going. I ordered some of the strobes and I plan on using those because even though the drone can be within LOS it can get lost against certain backdrops.

Find subjects to focus on and film, circle etc that don’t need to be too far away. Other than that set your distance to where comfortable with (200m -300m as an example ). To return home with low battery etc . Use the map in the bottom corner to track even when your loosing sight. That way you know where you are and can return it easy to where your comfortable with. Most important relax and enjoy the awesome piece of kit!

I’m new to this too. When I started I was flying high and far, still VLOS but it would be a speck in the sky. Fun, can get good video and photos...

But lately I’ve been flying much lower and closer to me just because that has been more fun for some reason. I like being within 500’ but maybe only 5’ to 20’ off the ground and testing my flying skills..Lots of fun to be had even well within VLOS.

I had to share this, , this guy is one of my Favorite Drone Pilots and he keeps his shoots so simple, and i enjoy all his videos,.

Phantomrain.org
Coal

@Jim Mavic Pilot VLOS is a relative term,and every ones VLOS will be different,depending on their vision
another factor to consider is the conditions being flown in at the time ie bright sunlight or an overcast dull day
this will have a profound effect on your ability to see your drone,so VLOS will be different on different days
all of us me included, struggle to see our drones at distance, after we have looked down at the screen to compose a shot or look at the screen data
i wear bifocals and have coloured skins and strobes on my drones to aid VLOS, you dont have to fly far and wide to enjoy the pastime, and some of the most fun i have ,is with my MM flying through trees some 20ft in front of me

I guess I interpret the VLOS differently. Yes I'm very new, (2 weeks), into my drone but I thought the rule meant you had to have an unobstructed view of WHERE the drone is even if you can't see it. But you can't be in say the front yard with the drone in the back and the house in-between. Because you can't see what may me coming up from behind the drone. Where as even if the drone is out of visual sight you can still see something going at it in the VLOS.
A newbies 2 cents

I have the same problem, Old Man Mavic, what type/brand of strobes would you recommend for my MA2?

Reactions: old man mavic

I am now three years into this, with Mavic Air 1 for 2 years and two crashes, then replaced with Mavic 2 Pro. With each new drone I would only go straight up no more than 200 feet, shoot some stills and video and come straight down. As I got more and more comfortable,I searched out open areas where I could fly a bit away, and gradually, gained more and more confidence. As I learned to fly, I also learned something new each and every time I flew, whether on the drone settings, or processing. Like everything in life, if you stick to it (persistence) you will conquer it.

I fly by the map and fpv. I usually know the areas over which I fly, so I am very familiar with the features on the ground. I always stay aware of where it is in the sky and stay focused on where I figure it to be. I pay attention to the air around that area and the bird's height, and any obstacles around it. if I should happen to lose sight of it, I feel secure it and other aircraft are safe until I can catch sight of it again. I have a firehouse white strobe which helps. This way I can fly right at my limit of sight and occasionally just beyond, by accident of course.

You better NOT send it back! Haah

Sorry, but I don't believe most responsible pilots, particularly those with an FAA license, violate this rule because it could be dangerous to others.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky