DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should I sell my Mavic 3 Classic for the Mavic 3 Pro?

AroundTheWorld

Reactions
Hello,

As always with my luck, when I decide to buy a tech product and especially a drone, you can be sure that a new model will come out in the following weeks if not days and that's what happened to me once again, thank you DJI!

I was looking for a drone to replace my Mavic 2 Pro and I was hesitating between waiting for an hypothetical Air 3 or buying a Regular Mavic 3 / Mavic 3 Classic until I came across a bundle with the Mavic 3 Classic, the DJI RC, the Fly More Combo and the DJI Care Refresh for 1790 euros which is normally the retail price of the Drone + Controller here.

I knew at that time that a Mavic 3 Pro could come but I decided to go with the Classic cause I thought that the Pro model would be an expensive addition in the Mavic line and I never thought that DJI was going to replace the regular Mavic 3 by the Pro and sell it at the same price. If I knew that, I would have bought it at the first place!!

To be honest, I don't think that I really needed the fly more combo considering the already huge fly time you can get with one battery but I went with the bundle cause it was more interesting than buying the drone and the RC alone.

Now I'm torn, should I keep everything or sell it to buy the Mavic 3 Pro with the DJI RC and the DJI Care Refresh that I could get for free? (I'm confident I will be able to sell my bundle for the same price as the Mavic 3 Pro + DJI RC if not more considering that it's still brand new, has been activated a few days ago but has never flown).

What would you consider more?
The extended flight time with the fly more on the Classic or the ability to shoot at different level with the 3 lenses on the Pro model?

By the way, those who recently bought the regular Mavic 3 must feel screwed!

Thanks in advance

Reactions: Gipper
All about what you will use and how you will use it. I bought the Mavic 3 Classic specifically for the MFT sensor. I kept my Mavic 2P for a backup as I can tolerate the 1" sensor should I have down time on the M3. I can't tolerate the 1/2" sensor on the 7x. 1/1.3 should be pretty close to the 1" but two grand for the one camera is probably not something I will do. I'll download some raw footage as it becomes available from the 3X and see how it cuts.

Reactions: Skyscope
Hello,

As always with my luck, when I decide to buy a tech product and especially a drone, you can be sure that a new model will come out in the following weeks if not days and that's what happened to me once again, thank you DJI!

I was looking for a drone to replace my Mavic 2 Pro and I was hesitating between waiting for an hypothetical Air 3 or buying a Regular Mavic 3 / Mavic 3 Classic until I came across a bundle with the Mavic 3 Classic, the DJI RC, the Fly More Combo and the DJI Care Refresh for 1790 euros which is normally the retail price of the Drone + Controller here.

I knew at that time that a Mavic 3 Pro could come but I decided to go with the Classic cause I thought that the Pro model would be an expensive addition in the Mavic line and I never thought that DJI was going to replace the regular Mavic 3 by the Pro and sell it at the same price. If I knew that, I would have bought it at the first place!!

To be honest, I don't think that I really needed the fly more combo considering the already huge fly time you can get with one battery but I went with the bundle cause it was more interesting than buying the drone and the RC alone.

Now I'm torn, should I keep everything or sell it to buy the Mavic 3 Pro with the DJI RC and the DJI Care Refresh that I could get for free? (I'm confident I will be able to sell my bundle for the same price as the Mavic 3 Pro + DJI RC if not more considering that it's still brand new, has been activated a few days ago but has never flown).

What would you consider more?
The extended flight time with the fly more on the Classic or the ability to shoot at different level with the 3 lenses on the Pro model?

By the way, those who recently bought the regular Mavic 3 must feel screwed!

Thanks in advance
Where did you buy it? Maybe you have the option to return it since you haven't flown it and you have only had it for weeks.

There will always be something just around the next bend.
Personally I don't understand this compulsion to have the latest product, especially as soon as it comes off the production line.
Let others test is and sort out the teething troubles then, perhaps, buy.

All about what you will use and how you will use it. I bought the Mavic 3 Classic specifically for the MFT sensor. I kept my Mavic 2P for a backup as I can tolerate the 1" sensor should I have down time on the M3. I can't tolerate the 1/2" sensor on the 7x. 1/1.3 should be pretty close to the 1" but two grand for the one camera is probably not something I will do. I'll download some raw footage as it becomes available from the 3X and see how it cuts.

I was interested by the regular Mavic 3 but the quality of the telephoto lense was a concern for me. I saw that it got better after a few updates but I didn't want to pay more for something that was still far to be on par with the main lense. But, if the image quality has been improved on the Mavic 3 Pro, that will be another story and I will be glad to give DJI my cash. Do we have more information about it?

The good thing is that if I decide to sell my bundle, I will probably be able to sell it for more than I paid and hopefully around the price of the Mavic 3 Pro.

Reactions: Skyscope
Where did you buy it? Maybe you have the option to return it since you haven't flown it and you have only had it for weeks.
I bought it in a European store chain similar as best buy in the US but I don't think that they will accept a return considering that I already activated the drone and linked it with the DJI Care Refresh. I will still ask them.

Reactions: maggior
Personally I don't understand this compulsion to have the latest product, especially as soon as it comes off the production line.

I guess I won't buy it until people extensively test it and confirm that there are no trouble.

I'm not a compulsory buyer but when you spend around 2 grands on a tech product, you don't wanna see something new coming out less than a month after.

I'm not a compulsory buyer but when you spend around 2 grands on a tech product, you don't wanna see something new coming out less than a month after.

If you look at the Mavic 3's predecessors, you can kinda see a pattern to their arrival on the market - keeping in mind what happened in 2020, the release of the next generation or (evolution) happens about every two years.

Its pretty simple, buy early and get the privilege's of having the latest and greatest for the longest period, and be a beta tester to boot or; Buy a year or two into the production and get a bug free drone, but you should expect the next model to come sooner. I always choose the latter and have no problem watching the rollout of the next model with all it's teething problems.

Mavic Pro - September 2016
Mavic 2 Pro - August 2018
Mavic 3 - November 2021
Mavic 3 Pro - May 2023

I hear what you are saying, but this drone seems to be more evolutionary rather than revolutionary since it's building on an existing platform. I would hope this M3P is more stable than the M3 when it first came out. That was a disaster! The M3 Classic seemed to do well when it came out.

Reactions: SmilingOgre
The Mavic 3 Classic has been solid , and I think they took a few parts from there other Elite Line of Drone to make this Camera so I think it will be well tested already.

Phanmtomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water, and Collect lots of Controllers.

Reactions: SmilingOgre
If you look at the Mavic 3's predecessors, you can kinda see a pattern to their arrival on the market - keeping in mind what happened in 2020, the release of the next generation or (evolution) happens about every two years.

Its pretty simple, buy early and get the privilege's of having the latest and greatest for the longest period, and be a beta tester to boot or; Buy a year or two into the production and get a bug free drone, but you should expect the next model to come sooner. I always choose the latter and have no problem watching the rollout of the next model with all it's teething problems.

Mavic Pro - September 2016
Mavic 2 Pro - August 2018
Mavic 3 - November 2021
Mavic 3 Pro - May 2023
Selling a Mavic 4 and an updated Mavic 3 are two different things for me.

As Maggior said it, the Mavic 3 Pro is an evolution of the Mavic 3 but not a completely new drone, which is something that didn't exist in the Mavic 2 line. If the Mavic 4 was going to be released next month I would not complain cause I could probably not afford it but the Mavic 3 Pro seems to adress all the flaws the regular Mavic 3 had for the same price tag and not that much more than what I paid for the Classic.

It's a pity that DJI didn't communicate more about the Pro model at the time the classic was released, it would have prevented people from buying the wrong drone.

I can't even imagine how very recent buyers of the regular Mavic 3 must feel right now knowing that an updated version of their drone came out for the same price.

As Maggior said it, the Mavic 3 Pro is an evolution of the Mavic 3 but not a completely new drone, which is something that didn't exist in the Mavic 2 line.

Much like a Mavic Pro Platinum was a slight evolution of the original Mavic Pro perhaps. But the point remains, we don't know for sure how these things will play out whether it is a new release or an evolution of an existing drone but for sure DJI is making a living by encouraging turn-over and repeat buying from customers. We can either hop on that train or not.

You asked for our thoughts as to whether or not you should sell your 3 and buy a 3 Pro, and it has even started shipping yet, what's the rush? It'll still be there in a few months. Personally I would keep the 3 Classic and wait and see how the 3 Pro unfolds, but if you have to have the latest version go for it.

Much like a Mavic Pro Platinum was a slight evolution of the original Mavic Pro perhaps. But the point remains, we don't know for sure how these things will play out whether it is a new release or an evolution of an existing drone but for sure DJI is making a living by encouraging turn-over and repeat buying from customers. We can either hop on that train or not.

You asked for our thoughts as to whether or not you should sell your 3 and buy a 3 Pro, and it has even started shipping yet, what's the rush? It'll still be there in a few months. Personally I would keep the 3 Classic and wait and see how the 3 Pro unfolds, but if you have to have the latest version go for it.

I'm not in a rush but I guess that my classic will keep a higher resale value if I don't fly it, that's why I asked the question and started that thread now.

I was interested by the regular Mavic 3 but the quality of the telephoto lense was a concern for me. I saw that it got better after a few updates but I didn't want to pay more for something that was still far to be on par with the main lense. But, if the image quality has been improved on the Mavic 3 Pro, that will be another story and I will be glad to give DJI my cash. Do we have more information about it?

The good thing is that if I decide to sell my bundle, I will probably be able to sell it for more than I paid and hopefully around the price of the Mavic 3 Pro.
I don't have more on it. I'll poke around more later after some chatter about it hits the web more.

I guess that my classic will keep a higher resale value if I don't fly it,
All but one of my drones are second hand and, and meaning no offence, how would your perspective buyer know that it was unflown?
From my usage of the App the totals in the app are 'unreliable'. With my drones deleting flight logs from the screen device changes the totals shown in the profile section of the app, similarly using two or more phone/screen-device produces separate totals on each screen device..... unless both screen-devices are set to auto sync.

I want to stress that I am in no way suggesting that you are dishonest etc. I am merely pointing out the reality of the situation.

Even using DAT name and photo/video name numbers may be unreliable, photo/video numbering can be reset and with Fly most Fly app using drones reset the DAT number to 0 at 99 + 1. It was good to see that DJI changed this with the Mini 3 so that we can now see which hundred the DATs are in but I don't know which DAT naming scheme the Mavic 3 classic uses.

I bought two 'new' second hand drones, they were care refresh replacement drones that had not been activated, I activated them. IMO that is the only guaranteed way to know a drone has not been flown.

All but one of my drones are second hand and, and meaning no offence, how would your perspective buyer know that it was unflown?
From my usage of the App the totals in the app are 'unreliable'. With my drones deleting flight logs from the screen device changes the totals shown in the profile section of the app, similarly using two or more phone/screen-device produces separate totals on each screen device..... unless both screen-devices are set to auto sync.

I want to stress that I am in no way suggesting that you are dishonest etc. I am merely pointing out the reality of the situation.

Even using DAT name and photo/video name numbers may be unreliable, photo/video numbering can be reset and with Fly most Fly app using drones reset the DAT number to 0 at 99 + 1. It was good to see that DJI changed this with the Mini 3 so that we can now see which hundred the DATs are in but I don't know which DAT naming scheme the Mavic 3 classic uses.

I bought two 'new' second hand drones, they were care refresh replacement drones that had not been activated, I activated them. IMO that is the only guaranteed way to know a drone has not been flown.
Thank you for the clarification. I was just planning on showing the app to prove that the Mavic 3 Classic didn't fly at all but I didn't know it was unreliable and could be faked. I don't know any other way to prove it then.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krasto