DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should i sell my Pro and buy an Air?

Lol I don't think they cheat on flight times. It just has to do with a significant amount of variables. How fast you are flying, humidity, wind conditions, altitude, disabling vision sensors etc etc etc. The list goes on and on.
My last flight was 24 minutes and I had 27% battery left when landed. Most of the flight was without video so that seemed to make a big difference.

Thanks for all the great replies guys!

However, i'm still confused as hell.

So many of you are happy with the Air, happy that you swapped etc, but also lots of you say stick with the Pro.

I might just toss a coin [emoji23]

I live in a country that generally frowns on drone use. I'm currently considering pro and air. In my situation, the noise issue is the most important thing so I'm leaning towards the platinum pro as all the videos I've seen have it much quieter than the air. But for that one issue, I'd be on the air in a heartbeat. Unless someone knows of any mods or anything that can bring that "swarm of bees" sound down a bit?

Unless someone knows of any mods or anything that can bring that "swarm of bees" sound down a bit?
No, the Air already has 'silent' propellors like the Platinum. The Pro is just as quiet as the Platinum using the plat. propellers. So you might consider the Pro as well since it's priced quite a bit lower now.

thanks for the suggestion. I had thought the platinum had a different engine that was quieter, in addition to the props. I guess I need to do some more research on youtube. thanks again.

thanks for the suggestion. I had thought the platinum had a different engine that was quieter, in addition to the props. I guess I need to do some more research on youtube. thanks again.
The engines are slightly different to go with the new ESC's which seem to be slightly more efficient according to DJI. Personally I think DJI just had a component refresh because they had a chance to cut costs using different components, maybe even from an alternative subcontractor. It's happening all over the tech industry constantly. They keep cutting costs during the product life cycle and advertise them as upgrades to the original. In this case the MP to MPP upgrade is really minimal and doesn't make up for the price difference at all. Marketing strategy is all what it is.

I live in a country that generally frowns on drone use. I'm currently considering pro and air. In my situation, the noise issue is the most important thing so I'm leaning towards the platinum pro as all the videos I've seen have it much quieter than the air. But for that one issue, I'd be on the air in a heartbeat. Unless someone knows of any mods or anything that can bring that "swarm of bees" sound down a bit?

I’ve watched a YouTube video that compared the Pro & Air for their sound and it seemed to me that there wasn’t much difference other than a different pitch. To me it didn’t seem like one was more quiet than the other.

Thanks for all the great replies guys!

However, i'm still confused as ****.

So many of you are happy with the Air, happy that you swapped etc, but also lots of you say stick with the Pro.

I might just toss a coin [emoji23]

Sell it. It's already been pretty much superceded by the Air and its price has crashed, so sell it while you can still get a decent price for it. If and when the Pro II arrives the price will tank even more. It's a no-brainer.

Reactions: JonnyBenson
Anybody done the same?

The main reason i'm considering this is because of its size, i like how compact it looks.

My main worry is i've heard stories about the poor wi-fi on the Air.

Thoughts?
I have both on vacation now in Philippines. I quit using the Air coz picture to picture the Pro is much better. Also I’m on islands not major WiFi clutter & still can’t get no where near the range the Pro gets. The Pro by far is the better. In a few days when I get to Manila I’m selling my brand new flymore combo 700. I’ll get P4P v2. Definite keeping the Mav Pro. She’s a beauty

I love my Air, but it occasionally has control glitches that I believe wouldn't happen with a Pro. FYI, I opted for the Air since it was cheaper than the Pro and fit my budget, and am happy with it. But if they were the same price (which they are on ebay...) I would have opted for the Pro.

I have both on vacation now in Philippines. I quit using the Air coz picture to picture the Pro is much better. Also I’m on islands not major WiFi clutter & still can’t get no where near the range the Pro gets. The Pro by far is the better. In a few days when I get to Manila I’m selling my brand new flymore combo 700. I’ll get P4P v2. Definite keeping the Mav Pro. She’s a beauty
Could you please elaborate how it is " much " better ? Maybe some picture comparison showing us" much" better results ?

P.s. I tested both and went for the AIR only coz of the camera overall + ease of use with ND filters ;)

Could you please elaborate how it is " much " better ? Maybe some picture comparison showing us" much" better results ?

P.s. I tested both and went for the AIR only coz of the camera overall + ease of use with ND filters ;)

I too would like to see how it's "much" better. After months of research and side by side testing, I came to a different conclusion. The Air has a much higher bitrate for starters, and you can actually screw on filters which is nice. Maybe he just means that you can control the aperture on the Pro.

I did sell my Mavic Pro and replaced it with an air. I feel the pictures are better on the air. The size was the main reason for me and on that point I have absolutely no regret at all. The air is flying great in windy condition too, where in similar situation the pro would perform not as good. But that’s only my personal opinion. The pro is a fantastic drone but since switching to the air I do fly more often and the drone is always with me. On the range point, it is undeniable that the air will not go as far as the pro, the range vary a lot depending the area you are flying. In the city, the range might be really poor due to the WiFi congestion... now for me, it is not an issue as I am very uncomfortable flying the drone miles away from me.

Anybody done the same?

The main reason i'm considering this is because of its size, i like how compact it looks.

My main worry is i've heard stories about the poor wi-fi on the Air.

Thoughts?

I haven’t had any issues at all with the WiFi on my Mavic Air. It’s always rock solid and never any disconnects at all. Solid fpv. My max distance I’ve flown is 3.3km with no problems but I live in an area with no interference.

I haven’t had any issues at all with the WiFi on my Mavic Air. It’s always rock solid and never any disconnects at all. Solid fpv. My max distance I’ve flown is 3.3km with no problems but I live in an area with no interference.

Same here, zero problems. Even in the city and urban areas I have gone out between 1 and 2 km, haven't tested further, but I have never seen anything other than full signal bars.

I've mentioned this in quite afew threads before, but I bought an Air at launch, then returned it for a Pro Platinum, which I'm very happy with. However, the image quality was significantly better on the Air. In saying that, since I'm just a hobbyist and the videos only go on youtube, the quality on the Pro Platinum does the job. Main benefits of the MP or MPP:

Noise - There is a HUGE different in noise levels between the Air and the Pro, not just how loud it is but the pitch, the MPP is much more pleasing and when using in touristy areas it is barely noticeable once at a certain distance/height. I found taking off and landing with the Air was very noisy and drew alot of unwanted attention.

Range - Occusync is significantly better in Urban areas (UK). If you plan to use the drone in wide open spaces, the Wifi on the Air will be fine
Battery - After being spoiled by 30 mins of flight time with the MPP, going back to 21 mins would be tough.

I think it all depends on how you want to use it - if you're planning to use it in areas where there might be alot of people & you don't want to draw as much attention or be worried about limited range should you be in city, but you don't mind sacrificing abit of image quality - get the MPP

If you are using it in wide open spaces with no worry about range, you don't care about noise level since there will be no one around, or if there is, you just don't care about drawing attention, and you want the very best image quality possible (from the mavic line that is) - get the Air

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31