DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should i sell my Pro and buy an Air?

Never understood the loudness thing ...it's like if someone likes the big loud bikes should they drive scooter just so people around aren't " annoyed "

People who hate drones will hate any drone doesn't matter the loudness really.

I personally did not care for loudness when buying MA because I wanted best picture / video quality for the buck ... + portability + ease of use with ND filters ...should I suffer because someone might not like the sound of it ...

It's same as if I didn't like the tree in that "hater" yard ...should he cut it to make me happy? ;)

If he has a car colour that I don't like should he sell it ?

Of course not people buy what they like I don't see how it's any different with the drones in general.

I have one experience with the neighbour who approached to me and asked me can I "volume down " the drone ...the answer to that was can you " volume " down your daughters when they scream all day long?, or maybe your barking dog at everything he sees ? All he did is walked away with no comment.

We are flying for minutes some people do annoying stuff for hours it's just we're used to them, it'll be the same with the drones once they become more common.

I've flown the Air beside the Pro many times. The Pro is slightly quieter than the Air (mostly in how the pitch is perceived) but is by no means a quiet drone. It is definitely loud enough such that if you take off / land near people, they are going to notice and it is going to get the exact same attention as the Air in pretty much every case. If you are flying near people, they are still going to notice. Once you're a little ways out, you can't hear either drone unless it's dead silent. In practice, I have found the noise difference to be a complete non-issue, but I can only speak from my experience.

I was in Hawaii recently near a crowded waterfall lookout and some guy launched his Pro, it immediately got the attention of everyone near by and some people came over to talk to him about it. It's not like it's silent and you can sneak around with it - it still makes a loud, unnatural noise that is very easily noticed by anyone nearby. If I had to pick what drone I wanted hovering 2 feet above my head for an hour, sure, I'd pick the Pro, but in most normal flying scenarios there is virtually no difference that I have seen/heard. They both get the same attention during take off / land, you can hear them both from about the same distance away when it's quiet, and if there is any background noise, you can't hear either them after they are a little ways away. If someone is annoyed by your drone, they will be equally annoyed whether it's an Air or a Pro in my opinion. YMMV.

Reactions: shane8289
Some great replies on here, thanks.

But i'm still torn [emoji17]

Any idea when the new Pro will be released?
DJI has been offering price breaks on their current models with "summer" sales, etc. That fuels the rumor mill that they are clearing inventory for new stuff. But if you are going to wait, you will never purchase, pull the string, purchase and have fun, sooner.

Anybody done the same?

The main reason i'm considering this is because of its size, i like how compact it looks.

My main worry is i've heard stories about the poor wi-fi on the Air.

Thoughts?
no! I actually did the opposite. Sold my air for a pro. My friend did the same after seeing my pro. The air is much louder, shorter flights, and the signal is unreliable. It is not worth getting rid of a pro for.

Reactions: Stevezphoto
no! I actually did the opposite. Sold my air for a pro. My friend did the same after seeing my pro. The air is much louder, shorter flights, and the signal is unreliable. It is not worth getting rid of a pro for.

I bought the air as my first drone. I am a full time traveler so it seemed like a no brainer. I wish I bought the pro because of the unreliable WiFi signal. When its fine its fine. When it's bad its quite nerve wracking.

Some people say "my Air connection is solid". I am willing to wager these people only fly in one area, near their home. I'm always moving around and always trying new areas, and I can attest that the results very wildly. Over open water I can go 2000ft+. Near civilization sometimes less than 500ft. So it depends on how far you want to go, and how much the portability really matters.

Reactions: JonnyBenson
Anybody done the same?

The main reason i'm considering this is because of its size, i like how compact it looks.

My main worry is i've heard stories about the poor wi-fi on the Air.

Thoughts?
Hell no! The mavic 2 and evo are on the horizon.

Said who?

July 18th is the Mavic Pro 2 announcement, almost for sure. Timeline makes perfect sense as well, and the Pro's have been discounted heavily since the Air announcement. Also reliable 'leakers' in the past seem to be confirming this as well. Nothing is for sure, but it's highly probable.

I have both the MA and MP. I feel more confident flying the MP because of the OccuSync and longer battery life. It's also way quiter than the MA, especially if you get the platinum props. The MP's controller is more customizable and that telemetry display is really nice and allows the screen to be used just for framing your shots.

Having said that, the MA is a well designed drone that impressively improves upon the compact design of the MP, not just the drone itself - the controller and battery hub are all more compact than what you get with the MP. However, I'm living in Europe and the wifi power restrictions here really cut down on the range and signal reliability - I was in Positano, Italy and all the WiFi from the hotels caused a loss of signal and RtH when the drone was maybe 200 meters away in my line of sight. There are workarounds to get you FCC transmission power levels... It's much noisier, has that bee swarm sound. I would say it's more beginner friendly with the rear collision avoidance. Also the new quickshots on the MA are really cool - especially asteroid for video intros or transitions.

To sum up...if I'm travelling and can only bring 1 drone, I'm reaching for the MP for the battery life, signal reliability, and quiter flying.

Don't sell your Pro for the Air.
You heard of wind.
The Air is so light [half the weight of the Pro].
The wind can easily blow your Air away.
I had a Standard 3 and I sold it away for the Pro. A little bit of regret as the S3 is double the weight of the Pro though it is not so portable.

Don't sell your Pro for the Air.
You heard of wind.
The Air is so light [half the weight of the Pro].
The wind can easily blow your Air away.
I had a Standard 3 and I sold it away for the Pro. A little bit of regret as the S3 is double the weight of the Pro though it is not so portable.
Actually the mavic pro surprisingly can outstand strong winds. I have flying in winds of 15 mph and the pro flew without issues.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom