DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should I start With thé MM

Hi All
I am about to buy aMM, but seing all posts with issues due to piloting I start to question myself
As a background I have only used a cheap 50Usd drone with no gps no brushless motor. so it had bad stabilization and I had always to keep a eye on it
It means that I never pilot watching thru the app.
That Is why I wonder if I should first buy a cheaper drone (with GPS......) around 150Usd to practice more piloting with the app AND move to the Mini
Thanks for the advice as I get more and more stressed reading posts or lost drones by bad piloting
What do you want to do with the MM?
Do you just want to play around?
I felt I needed a drone to easily monitor the leaf and limb buildup on my sheds. I need to be able to fly 50' high and 100' away MINIMUM
The low end drones all had limitations-- quality, support, distance, flight time etc. I almost bought the Tello, but by the time I got prop guards & extra batteries I was at about $150 for something with little support.

I view the Mavic Mini as a "loss leader". With the support and community that DJI has for the Mavic Mini I bet LOTS of us will use them heavily and then maybe move up.

Now I find myself wanting a more powerful drone already. I have to make three passes on my LONG driveway to blow all the leaves off :)

Last edited:
What do you want to do with the MM?
Do you just want to play around?
I felt I needed a drone to easily monitor the leaf and limb buildup on my sheds. I need to be able to fly 50' high and 100' away MINIMUM
The low end drones all had limitations-- quality, support, distance, flight time etc. I almost bought the Tello, but by the time I got prop guards & extra batteries I was at about $150 for something with little support.

I view the Mavic Mini as a "loss leader". With the support and community that DJI has for the Mavic Mini I bet LOTS of us will use them heavily and then maybe move up.

Now I find myself wanting a more powerful drone already. I have to make three passes on my LONG driveway to blow all the leaves off :)

gemniii, are you saying you dual-purpose your drone as a leaf blower? Lol. I wouldn’t be surprised...even the MM has quite a significant downdraft. Ironically, today, My wife was using MM to cool off after doing some chores around the house.

Back on topic: today I flew the MM around the living room, which was really cool for the kids to see and wife, as previously mentioned. I was surprised by how stable it was considering the one time I flew the P3S inside, I crashed and broke all my props within 10 seconds. The MM only has a downward sensor, so I can imagine that, if you have the $$$, an MA2 or MP would be even more stable with the additional sensors.

Hi All
I am about to buy aMM, but seing all posts with issues due to piloting I start to question myself
As a background I have only used a cheap 50Usd drone with no gps no brushless motor. so it had bad stabilization and I had always to keep a eye on it
That Is why I wonder if I should first buy a cheaper drone (with GPS......) around 150Usd to practice more piloting with the app AND move to the Mini
Thanks for the advice as I get more and more stressed reading posts or lost drones by bad piloting

If you can start with the MM I would choose that less expensive then the other advanced drones but loaded with many of the same features. I like it because it's a good stable drone and it can be flown indoors without too many issues. I would use the prop guards when flying indoors to protect the drone and the home. The only real requirement to fly indoors is that the area(s) be well lighted. I have flown from well lit rooms to rooms with low light and I did get a warning appear on screen.
DJI: "The Downward Vision System and Infrared Sensing System help the aircraft maintain its current position, hover in place more precisely, and to fly indoors or in other environments where GPS is unavailable."

Reactions: dino9832
I come from an RC fixed wing and Helicopter background. The Mini was my first Quad, after much research. I was completely blown away by how stable it was, how easy to control and all of it's other features. An outstanding piece of technology to grow with.
It wasn't long before I bought the Mavic Air 2. Not to replace the mini but to give me another option, if the conditions get rough or I want the additional features of the Air 2. You won't regret buying either.
Plus you'll have a huge family of fellow Mavic pilots to chat with and share the ups and downs.

Last edited:
I bought the MM, and 6 months later the MA2. I kept both drones. The MM, particularly with prop guards, is great for indoor shots, whereas the MA2 has superior wind resistance. Like many have said before the MM is way ahead of slightly cheaper drones.

My first drone is a Mini (Flymore and Care Refresh) and I love it! Great drone to fly, nice pictures and video, stable,... I first was also considering buying a cheaper one, but to avoid having to buy a better one soon, I decided to go for the Mini and I have no regrets!

Wow ... I am at lost for words... THANK you to ALL of you for your feedback/insights. It is so helpful to get guidelines and food for thoughts.
As I mentioned I was thinking of learning piloting with cheaper drones (like the ZLRC 906 PRO,. or maybe the to-come Xiaomi Diva), but you guys out-there convince me to go for the Mini.
As my goal is mainly to take the surrounding landscape of where me and my family will stand, I will stay with the Mini,... the Mavic Air 2 is too high-end and pricy (even if detecting obstaces is re-assuring).
I have a last question : Combo or not combo as it is an additional 100€. I do not plan to fly in-door, so I might use the propeler-protection.
So there is the extra batteries,.. and the case. Is-it worth.. ?
I mean .. in real use will I have to buy extra batteries any way...
What is your experience ?

But most of all : THANKS to ALL .. it is great not to feel ALONE Thumbswayup

Hi All
Save up and get a Mavic 2 Pro, a real drone with a real 4K camera. You will never be sorry. So many sensors you almost have to try to crash it. I was flying within a few hours, have never come close to crashing and the ability to program missions on computer (Ipad mini using the Litchi app) with no connections makes the whole drone experience much more fun. Contact me if you want more information glad to help. [email protected] BTW Mini is fun but only has 720P camera so way outdated and little programming capability .

Wow ... I am at lost for words... THANK you to ALL of you for your feedback/insights. It is so helpful to get guidelines and food for thoughts.
As I mentioned I was thinking of learning piloting with cheaper drones (like the ZLRC 906 PRO,. or maybe the to-come Xiaomi Diva), but you guys out-there convince me to go for the Mini.
As my goal is mainly to take the surrounding landscape of where me and my family will stand, I will stay with the Mini,... the Mavic Air 2 is too high-end and pricy (even if detecting obstaces is re-assuring).
I have a last question : Combo or not combo as it is an additional 100€. I do not plan to fly in-door, so I might use the propeler-protection.

Go with the combo you get the three batterry charger as well as the three batteries a nice little case (but be careful how you store the MM in it or you'll warp your props and the MM doesn't like that) and you get the prop guards which are very useful when flying indoors.
I was doing laps around my first floor just yesterday and numerious times I drifted into a wall. But if you are going to do any close flying outdoors they are very useful there as well. Flying close to trees for a particular shot or any object for that matter.

Reactions: Ramjam61
Save up and get a Mavic 2 Pro, a real drone with a real 4K camera. You will never be sorry. So many sensors you almost have to try to crash it. I was flying within a few hours, have never come close to crashing and the ability to program missions on computer (Ipad mini using the Litchi app) with no connections makes the whole drone experience much more fun. Contact me if you want more information glad to help. [email protected] BTW Mini is fun but only has 720P camera so way outdated and little programming capability .
My mini has 1080p or 2.7k. He only wants something to fly casually and has already said the Air 2 is too pricey. The only time I think he will find the mini lacking is when it's blowing a gale.

Definitely go for the combo. As above advice regarding props. There is a sticker in the combo bag, under the mini, that shows how they should be folded. You get spare props but they are very cheap to buy. £11.00 for a full set here in the UK.
For what you want to do I doubt you will find it lacking for the price.

Coming from owning a couple of cheaper drones, the MM (Mavic Mini) blew my mind. The mini will actually hover with no input from the joysticks! It will also tolerate winds that seem impossible to fly in. The camera is amazingly stable with it's 3-axis movement. You can shake it around and yet the video remains smooth.

I would strongly advise getting the DJI Care Refresh warranty. That way you have two "Oops." that are covered. It's not that the mini is prone to accidents. It just inspires the confidence to push it further than you would inexpensive drones.

I would echo every single thing stated in this post. I had a $50 "toy" drone with no GPS, a crappy fixed position camera, etc. The Mini is SO unbelievably more capable and advanced, it will absolutely delight and thrill you to no end, and amaze you with its abilities!

Reactions: dino9832
<snip>

I went with the Costco Combo = $390US for mini plus an extra battery and "specimen case display" charging stand, basically for the cost of the mini alone most other places.
Then went to DJI and bought the prop guards.
I'm in deep deciduous woods and it's a challenge to keep clear of branches. I keep them on.
I've probably "crashed" a half dozen times, no problem.
Flying with prop guards reduces battery time to about 18 minutes of air time.
So I'd advise getting at least an extra battery and prop guards.
/edit - and it's been a relief watching it crash and survive. Most of the crashes have been due to unexpected gusts of wind blowing it into trees.

Attachments

• driveway.jpg
    driveway.jpg
    329.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Go with the combo you get the three batterry charger as well as the three batteries a nice little case (but be careful how you store the MM in it or you'll warp your props and the MM doesn't like that) and you get the prop guards which are very useful when flying indoors.
One more vote for that comment ;) If you buy the two extra batteries separately (there is of course one in the Mini), you will already saved the extra price for the combo. And you will have very intelligent charger, the prop guards, extra props etc as a surplus.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98