DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should I try to recover small RC plane with Mavic Pro

Chirp

Reactions
Today I lost a small styrofoam RC plane to a high flat rooftop that is not accessible directly from the ground. The top of the roof is not visible from the ground below but I can hear the plane's motor when I throttle it up from the RC from the ground below.

The plane is worth about $150 so I would like to recover it if it's possible to do so safely and without damage to my Mavic Pro or the airplane.

I was thinking of extending some very thin wire down from my MP that is bent into hooks to try to snag it and carry it to safety. I think string or similar might blow all over the place.

I'm going to guess the plane weighs about 8oz. It's small and not very heavy.

My idea is to first locate the plane on the roof and then with the camera pointing straight down try to maneuver around it and get it hooked.

Has anyone ever tried something like this? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

DO IT! people have in fact rescued things with their Mavics and Phantoms. Just like you describe, make a wire hook and go get it!

Reactions: LaaLaa
Today I lost a small styrofoam RC plane to a high flat rooftop that is not accessible directly from the ground. The top of the roof is not visible from the ground below but I can hear the plane's motor when I throttle it up from the RC from the ground below.

The plane is worth about $150 so I would like to recover it if it's possible to do so safely and without damage to my Mavic Pro or the airplane.

I was thinking of extending some very thin wire down from my MP that is bent into hooks to try to snag it and carry it to safety. I think string or similar might blow all over the place.

My idea is to first locate the plane on the roof and then with the camera pointing straight down try to maneuver around it and get it hooked.

Thanks!

Do it. You'll need some kind of fishing lead weight at the end of your string though, because your hook will be blown by the wind.

There are a few ways to do it. If I were you, I'd try a hook on a long string. Attach a foam block with a slit, tied behind the downward sensors. Put the string in the slit to hold it while you maneuver the hook around the RC plane. Then lift the MP until the string slips off the slit. Then just pull the string yourself, so you don't risk tangling your MP. But that means dragging it across the roof and let it fall off the ledge.
Alternatively, search "Mantis Claw" on this forum.

shouldnt he turn off his downward sensors?

Great Idea but, What about putting a tracking device so that you can rescue your drone easily and immediately?

Simmo this is cool very nice concept.Thumbswayup
Haha! I was just mucking about mate!! When you watch the vid, have a look at the trees in the backgroung!! Boy it was windy! And the little mavic was solid as a rock!

that would be awesome! tie some fishing line to it with a hook and weight, and get video!

If your RC plane only weighs 8oz, isn’t there a danger that the down wash from the Mavic will blow it around? Make sure that your hook device is a decent length so they don’t have a coming together!

Thanks!
Sure, the Mavic Pro can left up to two pounds. Have tried lifting other things just for fun. Now looking to buy special
griping claw for future emergency's.

Reactions: Chirp
The most common rescue mistakes I have seen in videos are:
  1. The line fouls the props. Even if you have a weight on the line to prevent this the line can go slack if the weight rests on something.
  2. The hook or line fouls on something solid.
  3. The change in aerodynamics after a successful capture causes erratic control.
I would suggest adding a clothes pin or other weak link in the chain that would allow your Mavic to break free if it needed to. Turn off downward sensors and fly in tripod mode.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BLEKOK