DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should I upgrade my MA1 to a MA2... Or keep the MA1 and purchase a M2P to compliment it?

westozmavicpilot

Reactions
Im having a bit of a dilemma, I have the ability to purchase a newly refreshed M2P, which is unused for the price of a MP2.

I like to use my drones for both photo and video purposes, however sometimes I'm flying from the car, and sometimes I'm hiking long distances.

My question is... Should I replace my MA1 with a MA2 and retire the MA1, or should I purchase the M2Pro to compliment what I have and keep the MA1 for my longer distance hiking and the M2Pro for everything else?

You certainly are not alone there with that dilemma; I bet every owner of the MA1 is asking that same question - I certainly am. If 4k @60 FPS is not important to you, I would say go for the M2P. An MA1 plus an M2P would make more sense than an MA1 plus an MA2. At least that is what I am considering myself. However, there is also the possibility of an M3 coming whenever DJI get around to it - may be in the next 6 months to a year? I don't personally need another drone ASAP and am quite happy to wait it out (at least for another 6 months) and see what may come. If I am going to invest that much in a drone, I want one that will stay at the top end for the next 2 - 3 years and I don't know if the M2P would be that good down the line.

You certainly are not alone there with that dilemma; I bet every owner of the MA1 is asking that same question - I certainly am. If 4k @60 FPS is not important to you, I would say go for the M2P. An MA1 plus an M2P would make more sense than an MA1 plus an MA2. At least that is what I am considering myself. However, there is also the possibility of an M3 coming whenever DJI get around to it - may be in the next 6 months to a year? I don't personally need another drone ASAP and am quite happy to wait it out (at least for another 6 months) and see what may come. If I am going to invest that much in a drone, I want one that will stay at the top end for the next 2 - 3 years and I don't know if the M2P would be that good down the line.

It's more that I have the ability to pick up a (NEW, refreshed from DJI) M2P at the same price as the MA2...
I'm thinking if I purchased the MA2 I would try and sell my MA1.

The cost of the M2P at retail is still too expensive and the M3(p) would be a much higher purchase.

It's also the fact that there's no 4k recording in the QuickShots and the lack of Camera parameter adjustments that is making me lean towards a two drone setup, rather than one that does (almost) everything that the larger M2p would do.

It's more that I have the ability to pick up a (NEW, refreshed from DJI) M2P at the same price as the MA2...
I'm thinking if I purchased the MA2 I would try and sell my MA1.
In that case, why not try and see how much you can get for the MA1 first? If you can get about $500 for it, that would certainly make buying the MA2 an easier decision. As for the lack of control over camera settings in the MA2, that is a major deal breaker. The expectation seems to be DJI will fix this in an app update soon, and they certainly should. But until they do, I wouldn't even consider buying the MA2.

I've put it up for sale but haven't had much interest in it. Even less since the MA2 was released.

It is a dealbreaker and it isn't... I primarily shoot images with my MA1 and have some pretty good results from it.

There's just too many factors that are making this a hard decision! haha

I have the 2 drone set up ( MA and M2P ) and have been debating upgrading the MA. I pretty much use it only for travelling so the MA2’s larger size has put me off. Instead I have just ordered an MM aswell, this will either allow me to upgrade the MA one day or get rid of it depending on how well the MM does. 3 drone set up it is!

Reactions: pelagic_one
I see it like this:

1) There’s nothing really spectacular the MA2 does the MA can’t do.

2) I don’t need to fly out 10 Km out. Heck even more than 500 m isn’t needed as I want to shoot the surrounding where I am at that moment. And after that I can’t see my drone and that’s what the law says.

3) I have barely scratched the surface of what my MA can. It has all I need to make memorable videos and pictures.

By the time I’ve mastered the MA the MA 9 is out :)

4) I really love the small form factor of the MA drone and controller.

If you're processing the raw files from the drone and finding the 1/2.3in sensor in the Mavic Air limiting especially in dynamic range then the Mavic 2 Pro is definitely worth considering. On the other hand if you're using jpegs without processing yourself then the Mavic 2 Pro may be disappointing based on the reactions I've seen in this forum.

I went from air 1 to air 2. Loved the air except for the flight time and distance. The air 2 was a no brainer for me. Sold the air one for $200 less than I paid for it. Had it for 2 years.

Reactions: westozmavicpilot
I went from air 1 to air 2. Loved the air except for the flight time and distance. The air 2 was a no brainer for me. Sold the air one for $200 less than I paid for it. Had it for 2 years.
That is an incredible return on the MA1. I would have done the same if I were in your shoes (Unfortunately for me, there aren't many avenues for selling my MA here). Let's say the MA2 costs you $200 - $300 on top of what you sold the MA1 for. You get double the flight time of the old MA, OccuSync 2.0, a slightly better camera, and a much quieter drone. Now that is indeed a no brainer.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greg190