DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should I use ND filters on a cloudy day?

TrayBoz

Reactions
I just got my first set of ND filters and have watched many videos on how to set the video settings (manually) to get the best pictures. I'm ready to start experimenting with various video settings now.

My question is, should I ALWAYS use an ND filter? Even in low light? Or on a really cloudy day?

Thanks in advance - my apologies if this topic was covered in a previous post... I couldn't find anything specific.

I think the common train of thought is you want to keep your shutter speed around 1/60 if you're shooting at 30fps. So whatever it takes to get that, be it a 4 or 8 or whatever.

Reactions: Garuda
As above comment, to keep shutter speed at bay. Test out your diffrent filters for diffrent light conditions and see if you can get close to 1/60 in 30fps or 1/120 in 60. I am new to this also, and right now testing out my diffrent filters (ND4/PL, ND8/PL and ND16/PL). I dont rush this, take my time film abit, take notes of what filters and settings. Then analyze the footage at home and try to judge for myself what is the best choice.

Shutter speed should be double your frame rate as JJM mentioned. You will probably find that even on a cloudy day, that means a 4.

I just got my first set of ND filters and have watched many videos on how to set the video settings (manually) to get the best pictures. I'm ready to start experimenting with various video settings now.

My question is, should I ALWAYS use an ND filter? Even in low light? Or on a really cloudy day?

Thanks in advance - my apologies if this topic was covered in a previous post... I couldn't find anything specific.

All ND filters do is reduce the available light and in many cases shift the colors. I ONLY use ND filters in photography when the light is too great for a slow shutter. I only want a slow shutter to smooth out motion, such as a silky smooth waterfall. You also want to have as little grain as possible, so try to use 100ISO wherever possible. If you are at 100 ISO and the shutter is running very high, add your ND filters. You won't see that in low light and probably not on really cloudy days.

Unless you intend to create motion blur effects during the middle of the day, you probably don’t need a ND filter.
It’s easy enough to turn down the intensity of the light by simply switch to a faster shutter speed or a lower ISO (and a smaller aperture), you are effectively blocking out more of the sun’s light.
The standard ND filter helps only when you can’t do one of the settings mentioned because you are going after a certain photographic effect.

Reactions: dmyers7
Agree with the above.. other than aperture changes, wish that was possible with the mavic but appreciate the size compromise. I think the OP however is asking with regards to video. In that case, use them to get your shutter speed double your fps to help get that smooth cinematic footage.

Reactions: ed1nh0
I think the OP however is asking with regards to video. In that case, use them to get your shutter speed double your fps to help get that smooth cinematic footage.
You're absolutely right!

[Edited]
I almost forgot. Polar Pro created a calculator app just to help users do that.

Last edited:
Reactions: sosmaverick
Use whatever is needed to get to the reciprocal rule :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erroos