DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should the Mavic Pro be flown with Gimbal Cover on?

Hey there folks, flying my Mavic Pro in India.
A general problem of the Mavic pro lens fogging from the inside keeps coming. I did try all the solutions in the market, but none of them worked.
I just tried flying with the Gimbal Cover on (the spherical one and not the lock) and found the fogging has stopped. This is probably because the cold air that the machine is sucking in from just behind the lens isn't hitting the lens directly and through the gap in the gimbal cover, so the condensation isn't forming. Well, this ain't any solution, but somehow, get to fly without lens fogging!
My question is:
1. Is it advisable to fly the aircraft with the gimbal cover on? (You know, heating issues and all is what I am concerned about)
2. If I am using a filter, will that stop the lens from fogging inside? (Since the cold air isnt hitting the lens directly.)
Thanks in advance.
AS posted in the past here(forum member did some testing), there should be no issues with overheating due to the cover. I do not have an answer for the fogging.

i always fly with the gimble cover on heating has never been an issue and in an accident it will save the camera and gimble . i have tested this lol.

Are you people insane or what? The gimbal cover is meant for storage only. if you are in some extreme situation you might want to use it and I would not worry about the ventilation issue as they say because there is a slit on the side which will provide air. In my experience over the years I would never fly with it on!

Reactions: Cymruflyer
(Deleted by moderator)!Although it does reflect some light and video without it is better, it is optically correct and clear so it can be used in flight, not to save money on pigment! I say (Deleted by moderator)because i love the word, and because dji clearly state in the pro's instructions to "use it when necessary". The air is full of insects, as the marks on the drone under the props show. The expensive gimbal has a fragile ribbon exposed, which the cover protects. Also, if you have the dji goggles, there is a demo clip on them which shows 2 friends flying together. If you look closely, you can see they are both using the clear cover during the flight, on their mavic pros. Lastly, there are many YouTube clips where tests have been done specifically to see the amount of heating they cause, and it was only found try be a degree or 2 in a 20 minute flight.
So, slightly off video and pics, but gimbal protected, or clear view, and at the mercy of insects strikes and no gimbal protection for rough area landings.
The Mavic 2s have a protected gimbal design, and are never to be left on, as they restrict the range of movement and are unnecessary.
(Dji are vague about "use when necessary," to cover up for their (Deleted by moderator) design of exposed fragile gimbal wires and motors on the mavic pro)

In a Phoenix summer where ambient temp may not often get below 104 F by dusk that 1 or 2 degrees is a big deal though.

Reactions: Redleg
I butchered (modified ;)) my clear gimbal cover by using a Dremel tool to basically create an opening in front of the camera tall and wide enough to allow the camera to do its thing without being too visible in the video. This allows airflow for cooling but still provides protection for the camera/gimbal by the sides of the cover. Only rarely and only during extreme maneuvers will I see a tiny bit of the cover in the video. The opening goes way down to allow for full downward view.. IMHO, this is a win-win-win solution. You still get most of the gimbal/camera protection,the cooling for the elctronics and the camera is NOT shooting thru the plastic, so full quality video.
View attachment 84200

smart, I use camera sun shade for that, no need for the dremel tool

And just as an fyi, it's more expensive to produce a crystal clear cover than an opaque or simple colored cover.

This is stupid!
Never fly with cover on!
Heat is the killer for anything electronic.
Circuitry needs to be cooled that is why they had to put a fan inside the unit.
The fan also keeps the battery cool by removing the heat under the battery that will negatively effect the battery life.
Also never mount anything that will obstruct air flow over the finned heat sink on the bottom of the drone.
Several after market devices have mounting devices that obstruct airflow over these fins...beware.
These drones deplete a 4 Amp hour battery in 20-25 min, the amount of heat generated is very high and must be removed.

You’ll overload the gimble motors if you fly w/it on not to mention restricting air flow for cooling. It’s just for protection when not flying. Thx

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan