DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should the Mavic Pro be flown with Gimbal Cover on?

arcxplorer_93

Reactions
Hey there folks, flying my Mavic Pro in India.
A general problem of the Mavic pro lens fogging from the inside keeps coming. I did try all the solutions in the market, but none of them worked.
I just tried flying with the Gimbal Cover on (the spherical one and not the lock) and found the fogging has stopped. This is probably because the cold air that the machine is sucking in from just behind the lens isn't hitting the lens directly and through the gap in the gimbal cover, so the condensation isn't forming. Well, this ain't any solution, but somehow, get to fly without lens fogging!
My question is:
1. Is it advisable to fly the aircraft with the gimbal cover on? (You know, heating issues and all is what I am concerned about)
2. If I am using a filter, will that stop the lens from fogging inside? (Since the cold air isnt hitting the lens directly.)
Thanks in advance.

The gimbal cover is there for protection in storage and transit as well as for training. But for quality video you must remove it. I never fly with it on

The gimbal cover is there for protection in storage and transit as well as for training. But for quality video you must remove it. I never fly with it on
Hi MavicVA.
Thank you for your reply.
POint is without this cover, I am almost never getting any footage at all, and repairing the thing might not be possibleas it will burn a hole in my already empty pockets. As such, is it advisable? Maybe for the next couple of months?
I am more of a newbie, and at this point, learning how to fly is my priority, it will take me some time to get to quality footage.

Try allowing the drone to adjust to the outside temperature before takeoff. Condensation usually occurs because of the difference of temperatures.

Reactions: SXB1 and pablotwa
For all the reasons already mentioned, don't leave the gimbal cover on. To help with lens fogging issues, pick up some lens fog wipes from a photography store or online. Or allow time for the temp change before flying

I was always wondering what the black rubber part of the mavic Pro gimbal cover was supposed to do. Someone told me that the mavic Pro was supposed to fly with the transparent cover on to protect the fragile gimbal. Because of reflections of the light on the cover most people removed the cover when flying. I'm not sure if this story is true, but it explains the black rubber thing that you are supposed to put on during travel.

I was always wondering what the black rubber part of the mavic Pro gimbal cover was supposed to do. Someone told me that the mavic Pro was supposed to fly with the transparent cover on to protect the fragile gimbal. Because of reflections of the light on the cover most people removed the cover when flying. I'm not sure if this story is true, but it explains the black rubber thing that you are supposed to put on during travel.
The black rubber thing is protective packaging to protect the gimbal cover from the time it’s put in the box at the factory until you take it out of the original package.

I’ve never had good results shooting photos/video with the clear cover on and neither has anyone else I’ve encountered. Although I’ve never seen anything to the contrary, it’s not mentioned in any DJI literature I’ve read that the clear gimbal cover is to be left on while flying. In fact, as others have mentioned, there is the potential for cooling issues when the cover is left on, due to the location of the air intake.

Reactions: Deleted member 3792
I suggest anti fog lens wipes and let the temperature stabilize before you fly. Usually fog comes by going from a high humidity warm area to a cooler atmosphere. Are you using filters and if so use the wipes on the inside of those as well.

NEVER, ever fly with the gimbal cover on. Remove the gimbal cover and the cover condom before starting up your drone. They are there to protect the camera when not flying. It is YOUR job to protect the camera WHILE you are flying, not the covers job.

I butchered (modified ;)) my clear gimbal cover by using a Dremel tool to basically create an opening in front of the camera tall and wide enough to allow the camera to do its thing without being too visible in the video. This allows airflow for cooling but still provides protection for the camera/gimbal by the sides of the cover. Only rarely and only during extreme maneuvers will I see a tiny bit of the cover in the video. The opening goes way down to allow for full downward view.. IMHO, this is a win-win-win solution. You still get most of the gimbal/camera protection,the cooling for the elctronics and the camera is NOT shooting thru the plastic, so full quality video.
20191026_084610.jpg

Last edited:
Why though, you should not fly with it fitted, it is not designed to be used fitted, while flying? It is a protective cover while in transit or storage. That would be the same as having a clear lens cover on your still camera and shooting through that, instead of removing it. It is a silly idea to keep it fitted while flying.

A friend of mine always flies with his on, why ... because he tried 'follow me' while below tree level. It went to get to height, and ran into a tree, breaking a leg & gimble cable. So, now he will fly in fear, with clear transport protection cover on it until he overheats it, or loses it. I've tried to educate him, but his head is thick.
So, anyone that flies with it on, it's their safety blanket and helps their knees get a little less weak at take-off. (until they post 'why am I overheating' ... will they see the light)

Always wondered about flying with the cover on. If it was made only for protection in storage why make it crystal clear and protect it with a pad. My camera lenses have covers. Nice and black. Popular opinion is to fly with it off. That's how I fly.

Hey there folks, flying my Mavic Pro in India.
A general problem of the Mavic pro lens fogging from the inside keeps coming. I did try all the solutions in the market, but none of them worked.
I just tried flying with the Gimbal Cover on (the spherical one and not the lock) and found the fogging has stopped. This is probably because the cold air that the machine is sucking in from just behind the lens isn't hitting the lens directly and through the gap in the gimbal cover, so the condensation isn't forming. Well, this ain't any solution, but somehow, get to fly without lens fogging!
My question is:
1. Is it advisable to fly the aircraft with the gimbal cover on? (You know, heating issues and all is what I am concerned about)
2. If I am using a filter, will that stop the lens from fogging inside? (Since the cold air isnt hitting the lens directly.)
Thanks in advance.
Never fly with the cover on. Ever. It’s just a bad idea

The air intake for the cooling fans is behind the gimbal so it’s not advised to fly with the bubble protection cover on, if you don’t want to burn that?
The bubble has a vent...At least mine does from DJI new MP pro

Always wondered about flying with the cover on. If it was made only for protection in storage why make it crystal clear and protect it with a pad. My camera lenses have covers. Nice and black. Popular opinion is to fly with it off. That's how I fly.
It is not popular opinion at all, it is simply the correct way to fly, without the cover on the gimbal/camera. Why is it clear you ask? Because it is cheaper to produce that way, rather than having to pay to add a pigment to colour the plastic. All gimbal covers have to be removed before turning the drone on. Some drone gimbal covers grip the camera, to protect it during transit, so that it does not flop around and damage the delicate mount. If you were to turn those type of drones on, with the gimbal cover still fitted, you would probably damage one of the motors on the gimbal, because it would not allow the camera to move around when setting itself up for flight.

Therefore, just get out of the remotest habit of leaving it on, even before you switch on your drone because if you don't and get yourself a Mavic Pro which has the clamp under the protective bubble, you are going to fry your gimbal electronics when you turn on the drone, without removing the cover/clamp. Just like it is easy to drive with your foot resting on the brake pedal and after all, they place that pedal right next to the throttle pedal so why should it not be meant to rest your foot on while driving? Same stupid argument, it is not meant to be driven that way, despite it being so convenient to rest your left foot on.

With your drone, you are not supposed to leave the camera cover on, it is as simple as that, and nothing to do with "popular opinion". If you don't believe that, why not just call DJI and ask them?

Last edited:
It is not popular opinion at all, it is simply the correct way to fly, without the cover on the gimbal/camera. Why is it clear you ask? Because it is cheaper to produce that way, rather than having to pay to add a pigment to colour the plastic. All gimbal covers have to be removed before turning the drone on. Some drone gimbal covers grip the camera, to protect it during transit, so that it does not flop around and damage the delicate mount. If you were to turn those type of drones on, with the gimbal cover still fitted, you would probably damage one of the motors on the gimbal, because it would not allow the camera to move around when setting itself up for flight.

Therefore, just get out of the remotest habit of leaving it on, even before you switch on your drone because if you don't and get yourself a Mavic Pro which has the clamp under the protective bubble, you are going to fry your gimbal electronics when you turn on the drone, without removing the cover/clamp. Just like it is easy to drive with your foot resting on the brake pedal and after all, they place that pedal right next to the throttle pedal so why should it not be meant to rest your foot on while driving? Same stupid argument, it is not meant to be driven that way, despite it being so convenient to rest your left foot on.

With your drone, you are not supposed to leave the camera cover on, it is a simple as that, and nothing to do with "popular opinion". If you don't believe that, why not just call DJI and ask them?
So, what you’re saying is you are squarely in the “fly with the gimbal cover off” corner?

Reactions: Chip and Cymruflyer
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54