DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Show Telemetry on Cached Video?

PBDawg

Reactions
When I view YouTube videos posted by Mavic Mini pilots, they often include inset video of the actual feed to the controller including the telemetry (height, distance, speed, battery, etc.). Is there a way that this view can be saved to the cached video, or are these YouTubers running some kind of separate screen capture app? If the latter, can anyone recommend such an app?

There's several ways to do it but i just do screen recordings.Can't think at the moment what the other ways to do it are called but sure someone will post with them.

When I view YouTube videos posted by Mavic Mini pilots, they often include inset video of the actual feed to the controller including the telemetry (height, distance, speed, battery, etc.). Is there a way that this view can be saved to the cached video, or are these YouTubers running some kind of separate screen capture app? If the latter, can anyone recommend such an app?
I use the default screen capture app with an iPhone 7 with the mic turned on. Not sure if Android has a default app but think you have to get one from the store. I try to record on most flights as they can easily be deleted. It's amazing when playing it back and seeing all the info that I missed during the flight! Wind warnings, video transmission drop outs, altitude area warnings and a bunch more that aren't coming to mind right now.

I use the default screen capture app with an iPhone 7 with the mic turned on. Not sure if Android has a default app but think you have to get one from the store. I try to record on most flights as they can easily be deleted. It's amazing when playing it back and seeing all the info that I missed during the flight! Wind warnings, video transmission drop outs, altitude area warnings and a bunch more that aren't coming to mind right now.
Thank you. That's exactly what I wanted to know!

Are you iOS or Android and do you use a phone or tablet PBDawg ?

I'm using a Google Pixel 2XL Android phone.
Ok can’t help ya there then .Just looked in YT and there are
several ways so will just let you look cause I’m not really
sure which one you need.

Reactions: PBDawg
I'm on a Samsung Android phone using "AZ Screen Recorder" from the app store.. Works great.

The only trick in doing the video editing is in trying to get the screen recording synchronized to match up with the Mini's video recording. Just stand in view of the Mini's camera, and give one clap of your hands. Then you can spot that moment on both the screen recording and Mini's recording to align your two video clips when editing them together.

Awesome info, thanks! I didn't even know my iPhone had that.

For those like me that weren't aware of this iphone feature, if you swipe down on the screen and don't see the screen recording option, go to Settings > Control Center > Customize Control and then add it by selecting it from the list at the bottom.

I don't think I will fly again without this running.

Reactions: ff22
Awesome info, thanks! I didn't even know my iPhone had that.

For those like me that weren't aware of this iphone feature, if you swipe down on the screen and don't see the screen recording option, go to Settings > Control Center > Customize Control and then add it by selecting it from the list at the bottom.

I don't think I will fly again without this running.
With the lastest version it’s there by default .On phone you swipe up. iPad down . Looks like this,hit button counts down from three. I do about all my flights also as I’m over water
and if something goes south I have it. Then just delete it if all goes well. You do have to swipe back to stop it and click it.
012B314E-0FD5-4386-BD88-3915628AEA98.png

Reactions: EyesWideShut
With the lastest version it’s there by default .On phone you swipe up. iPad down . Looks like this,hit button counts down from three. I do about all my flights also as I’m over water
and if something goes south I have it. Then just delete it if all goes well. You do have to swipe back to stop it and click it.
View attachment 100614

As @dirkclod says the recording starts the three second countdown when the round start button is tapped. If you also want to record audio if you press/hold the start button the next screen shows up allowing you the option to turn on the mic to capture all the lady's voice warnings and your own choice comments as the mini gets blown away....

I like to talk and have my comments recorded as I go thru my startup routine (checking wind, tree height, RTH parameters etc) and also ask myself any questions during the flight about the mini's behavior or what's going on. Think it builds a solid routine and later I can see if I missed any steps and what I can learn from the flight.

Also when at the screen that @dirkclod shows, it's a good time to make sure your audio volume (for warnings) and screen brightness is turned up and maybe turn off WiFi and the Flight Mode on.

Reactions: PBDawg and dirkclod
I like to talk and have my comments recorded as I go thru my startup routine (checking wind, tree height, RTH parameters etc) and also ask myself any questions during the flight ...
That way, if someone comes up to harass you while you're busy trying to concentrate on your flying, you'll already have the audio recording running in case you later need evidence of exactly what was said by who. ;)

Another way than screen capture : use your flight log telemetry text files, recorded in your phone. Fly App cache folder.
You can even upload it to some phantom support site, and visualize everything: position, stick input, error message, battery status, signal strength...
Some may concern it as subtitles for their video.

I'm on a Samsung Android phone using "AZ Screen Recorder" from the app store.. Works great.

The only trick in doing the video editing is in trying to get the screen recording synchronized to match up with the Mini's video recording. Just stand in view of the Mini's camera, and give one clap of your hands. Then you can spot that moment on both the screen recording and Mini's recording to align your two video clips when editing them together.
Thanks so much for the suggested app - I remember having it on a previous phone and liking it a lot. I will download and install it. Thanks also for the great tip on synchronizing the videos. Much appreciated.

Reactions: Zbip57

Good to know. The current update is available on my phone, I just haven't installed it yet so I had to manually add it. I'm planning on updating my iPhone today along with my iPad.

Reactions: dirkclod
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jw312569