DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Shows antenna not pointing

4score

Reactions
Had my first flight. When I went out a little ways the indicator on the bottom of the screen showed the drone way off the direction of the antenna. No matter which way I pointed, it still never came into the space that shows its correctly pointing. Thoughts?

My experience with the "Aircraft Orientation" (AO) display has shown it is unusable when the MA2 is within 15 m horizontally from the RC. Usually shows the aircraft behind the RC when it's right in front of it. As the MA2 flies further away (>50 m) the AO reports the current orientation more accurately. The other issue I had with the AO is it would indicate the aircraft was just to the left of the "beam" emanating from the center, even though the antena was pointing straight at the aircraft.
. Similar to this.1592186822289.png.

After calibrating the compass on the phone and validating with a magnetic compass (only 1 degree off), the aircraft pointer was within the "Beam" spread when, again, the RC antenna is pointing directly at the aircraft . 1592187241652.png

The moral of the story is don't expect the AO to function properly within a 15 m radius of the remote controller.

Thanks all. I think I have my iPhone compass "on" and calibrated now. I tried using the "Compass" app on the phone and it was unresponsive. I went into Settings - Privacy - Location Services and changed the Compass App to "While using". Still it was not responsive. Then at the bottom of Location Services is "System Services". I went there and switched on "Compass Calibration" and now at least my phone's compass seems to be working. I also recalibrated the compass on the drone. I'll find out today when I fly (winds permitting) if all that helped at all.

Thanks all. I think I have my iPhone compass "on" and calibrated now. I tried using the "Compass" app on the phone and it was unresponsive. I went into Settings - Privacy - Location Services and changed the Compass App to "While using". Still it was not responsive. Then at the bottom of Location Services is "System Services". I went there and switched on "Compass Calibration" and now at least my phone's compass seems to be working. I also recalibrated the compass on the drone. I'll find out today when I fly (winds permitting) if all that helped at all.
Good news....it seems to be working now! Thanks for the help here.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmilonas