DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

shut down the drone to save battery?

Yeah sorry, I realized that after posting and corrected my response.

Thumbswayup
Sorry but the power consumption during free fall will, I think, be minimal.
Basically pretty close to that when the drone is sitting powered up on a table etc..
There may be some additional power usage as it will be trying to keep the gimbal 'true' but I would suspect that that doesn't use much.
Someone with a mini 3 pro could test this by switching everthing, drone, controller, phone, on and have the drone sit on a table for 30 sec or so, then pick the drone up and wobble a fair bit for 30 seconds or so, then post the .DAT flight log.
We could then compare the power consumption during the two phases of the experiment.
I do not know in the mini 3 creates a readable .DAT.

Last edited:
Tumble may have been a bit overkill. It will TRY to tumble is probably more accurate.
I think it would be like flying in acro without googles: You may have an idea of the direction the drone will go once the motors start back up BUT I don't think so and probability suggest it will not be level and the drone wouldn't go straight up.
If you have my luck when the drone recovers it will be in a perfect line with your nose.
Don't get me wrong, doing this intentionally is dumb as s*&t and if anyone flying in such a manner that they need to do this to save battery and save their drone is also dumb as s*&t.

Reactions: SWTSU and Yogi053
Iwill have a look and see if I can dig a suitable mini 3 pro Dat out of my 'library'.
Oooooh, that would be super interesting to see actual data. I've also been thinking about variable-pitch props and how those might affect battery, since a drone with them could theoretically autorotate and you might be able to get closer to a "controlled freefall" type of descent.

I will have a look and see if I can dig a suitable mini 3 pro Dat out of my 'library'.
Drat the best I can come up with are the following plots.
The first one shows amps, volts, height, throttle, elevator and aileron during a descent. Unfortunatley its not a vertical descent.
The second attachment shows I & V when the motors are off (at the start ) and during the whole flight but the intention was /is to show the power consumption with the motors off.
NOTE the current is negative, so the lower the plot the greater the current.
At a guess the units are mA.
The .txt. flight log does not record battery current :-(

Attachments

• I & V in descent but with elevator.png
    I & V in descent but with elevator.png
    60.9 KB · Views: 7
  • I & V motors off.png
    I & V motors off.png
    64.7 KB · Views: 7
Perhaps just monitor your battery more often and don't get into this situation. Have fun.

Reactions: MS Coast

Attachments

• power during vert descent.png
    power during vert descent.png
    54.6 KB · Views: 4
  • power start of flight.png
    power start of flight.png
    50.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Reactions: BudWalker
I am just a bit curious why one channel regards the current as negative and the other channel regards it as positive. One for @msinger perhaps?
For me the question is why are there 2 battery current fields. And why are the magnitudes slightly different. My best guess is that they reflect current measurements in different places. One could be current on the connection between the battery and the drone. The second could be current inside the battery.

That one is the negative of the other isn't particularly concerning, to me at least.

For me the question is why are there 2 battery current fields. And why are the magnitudes slightly different. My best guess is that they reflect current measurements in different places. One could be current on the connection between the battery and the drone. The second could be current inside the battery.

That one is the negative of the other isn't particularly concerning, to me at least.
It seems to me that in the .txt at least there are quite a few duplications, especially with regards to the serial numbers.
With the P3 .txt's I quite often find one column is populated and the other not.
Go4 and Fly don't seem as suseptable to that problem

Technically if the drone in the fall is completely flat or at least in an angle of acceptance tolerance will turn on. If the drone is in a certain angle that the compass does not like it will refuse to turn on.

Where is the fun in that ? :)
We need to maintain "safety" over the "fun" factor. A free falling drone can cause serious damage to property or injure somebody. You have no control on the descent or crashing spot because the wind factor.
I am may talking like an "old" guy but we have a responsibility. I learn from my mistakes.

You can change the descent speed in the parameters for for example s mode and get close to the same result with staying in control. Did something like that with the og mini once.

You can change the descent speed in the parameters for for example s mode and get close to the same result with staying in control. Did something like that with the og mini once.
Are you talking about setting very high descent rates via hacking the firmware?

Are you talking about setting very high descent rates via hacking the firmware?
You are not really hacking the firmware. You keep the firmware, but yes you set a higher descent speed in the variables. After buying the mini 3 I experimented with my mini 1 with it. It went very well up to 12m/s. Never went to a higher values becouse I didn't see why you would.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1