DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Side Obstacle Avoidance on M2P

baddog

Reactions
Site
www.drone-scapes.com
Does anyone know why DJI would make full 360° obstacle avoidance, only functional when using an intelligent flight mode. Does anyone know how to manually turn the side obstacle avoidance sensors on manually during normal flight mode? This has only been tested on my Android devices, I am unsure if this is the case with Apple devices.

Obstacle-Side-Sensoe-off.jpg

To my knowledge, the all sensor work in tripod mode, in normal flight just the front and rear sensors are working. that information is stated in the manual

Reactions: WDKZoom
To my knowledge, the all sensor work in tripod mode, in normal flight just the front and rear sensors are working. that information is stated in the manual
Yes, I know that, I was just curious why DJI would limit these side sensors to Tripod and other intelligent flight modes? I mean, the hardware is there, why not let the owner use it?

Yes, I know that, I was just curious why DJI would limit these side sensors to Tripod and other intelligent flight modes? I mean, the hardware is there, why not let the owner use it?

The reason being is that , the sensors offer some assistance but if we had full access to them, many would rely on them in sport mode or go over the speed that they can comfortably work with.

If you search the forum you will find a boat load of accidents that happened with Active Track an sensor to know that even at controlled speeds that sensors = Traumatic flights.

Until the sensors are truly reaching there potential , they will be limited to controlled flights .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain.

Reactions: Capt KO
Based on some very crude testing I have done it seems like the response time of the side sensors Is quite slow compared to the front and back. I suspect they might not be able to react in time in normal P mode, hence only in Tripod mode.

Based on some very crude testing I have done it seems like the response time of the side sensors Is quite slow compared to the front and back. I suspect they might not be able to react in time in normal P mode, hence only in Tripod mode.
Good investigating, thanks for the heads up. That is a good point.

The reason being is that , the sensors offer some assistance but if we had full access to them, many would rely on them in sport mode or go over the speed that they can comfortably work with.

If you search the forum you will find a boat load of accidents that happened with Active Track an sensor to know that even at controlled speeds that sensors = Traumatic flights.

Until the sensors are truly reaching there potential , they will be limited to controlled flights .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain.
That decision, I feel, should still be up to the owner. But if it is DJI's care refresh, that is the reason...well...then that's they're bad.

If that were the case, then make the side sensors available in Tripod & P mode at least and make all the avoidance obstacle sensor unavailable in sports mode.

You really don't want to do that -- this is a by-design issue for a good reason. They purposefully disable the side sensors in modes they aren't appropriate for because they know that they lack the sensitivity to work effectively at higher speeds.

It should not be up to the owner. They know that if you turn them on in P or S mode, that you will assume they are giving you some measure of obstacle avoidance when they actually aren't.

This would be lawsuit territory. Why would they allow you to have such false assurances of sensors that cannot possibly stop in time to save your craft from flying sideways at full speed? I can hear the court arguments now: "You knew that they would not help me avoid side collisions, but you let me turn them on anyway, giving me false confidence!!".

Chris

You really don't want to do that -- this is a by-design issue for a good reason. They purposefully disable the side sensors in modes they aren't appropriate for because they know that they lack the sensitivity to work effectively at higher speeds.

It should not be up to the owner. They know that if you turn them on in P or S mode, that you will assume they are giving you some measure of obstacle avoidance when they actually aren't.

This would be lawsuit territory. Why would they allow you to have such false assurances of sensors that cannot possibly stop in time to save your craft from flying sideways at full speed? I can hear the court arguments now: "You knew that they would not help me avoid side collisions, but you let me turn them on anyway, giving me false confidence!!".

Chris

;) For once we agree on something , ?

The real problem is a lack of compute power it takes quite a bit of computation to detect obstacles. They don’t have fast enough processors to do it at high speeds
High end drones have companion processors to do this.
As in nvida jetson sort of board

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deltabird