DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sidewards facing Hyperlapse possible?

Alexander Of Oz

Reactions
Hey folks, I am wondering if there is a way to achieve a Hyperlapse where the MA2 is facing 90 degrees to the travel direction whilst in a straight line. I do not want the bird to be locked on to a target, I want it to for example face South the whole travel of it moving East to West. Is this actually possible at all? I can't seem to work out how. I can get course lock where it travels in a straight line, which is half of what I need, but the drone faces forwards and not sidewards.

Would I need to do this as a Waypoint Hyperlapse with the start and end points programmed in, both facing the same direction and at whatever distance apart I needed, also taking in to account any altitude differences?

That would mean a manually created (by me using RAW photo's) 12 second length (for a 25fps film) clip at 2 second captures would need 300 frames total, taking 10 minutes to completely capture. If I wanted to cover a short distance of say 200 metres, I would need to cover about 0.667 metres/second. If my maths is correct? ?

Thanks in advance for any assistance offered, this is all new to me on a drone; three metres along a slider over four hours with pan and tilt motions is the most complex I have toyed with previously!

I think I got my answer, in the Course Lock mode, there is an option to fly without a subject! I'll try that to see and if that doesn't work, I'll try the option of a Waypoint Timelapse with both start and end points facing the same direction.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Yes you can record 90 degrees to course by either course lock or waypoints. Here's one using 6 waypoints for a sideways flight, elevation change and a brief POI (done manually by rotating for each waypoint).

I can see where this operation may be of great value. My interest it would be search and rescue. A 10 acre ground patch surveilled along a flight path first 90 degrees right then 90 degrees right on a return trajectory. The MA2 cannot aim the gimbal 90 degrees but close enough. Yes, Id like to see it possible.

Commanding the drone to retrace the same flight path looking the opposite direction as fast as possible??

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigbrute