DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 Sideways into the trees

Geofff

Reactions
I was flying sideways along a river filming progress in a riverside park rehabilitation post flood and got caught in trees on the opposite bank of the river.
Amazingly it righted itself and was hovering inside the trees. What do I do now!
I slowly spun it around to see if there was a clear exit and decided to raise it up slowly to a clear exit and was able to fly it out. Very relieved. How good is the MA2!!
I rarely fly sideways for this very reason but couldn't resist on this occasion thinking I would be safe over the water but ....

@Geoff Wow, super lucky! Is the camera ok? I ask because a landing foot becomes visible immediately after the event, as though the gimbal has been pulled out, even though the gimbal seems to be functioning.

Just curious. Thanks
I was worried about that too but couldn't see anything broken. Restarted and the gimbal did the dance and was ok. Flew it after with no problems 😄

@Geofff great tree close up ,i hope you went out and got a lottery ticket afterwards
tree (0) drone (1)
that doesn't happen very often

Well that's a clencher Goefff. I thought you might have had to swim to retrieve it there for a while.
Good recovery by the MA2.

Reactions: Geofff
I was flying sideways along a river filming progress in a riverside park rehabilitation post flood and got caught in trees on the opposite bank of the river.
Amazingly it righted itself and was hovering inside the trees. What do I do now!
I slowly spun it around to see if there was a clear exit and decided to raise it up slowly to a clear exit and was able to fly it out. Very relieved. How good is the MA2!!
I rarely fly sideways for this very reason but couldn't resist on this occasion thinking I would be safe over the water but ....

Whoa! Nicely done!! Congrats on some good post-tragedy flying.

A great relief for you-and us although we knew the outcome due to spoiler alert! Well done.

I was worried about that too but couldn't see anything broken. Restarted and the gimbal did the dance and was ok. Flew it after with no problems 😄
Why is it everyone who crashes can just fly away while
I crash and end up picking up the pieces :rolleyes:

Great Geoff, and its a good live example of auto-leveling (Horizon) while looking at the legs during side moves (last 30s.).

Thanks everyone for your comments and encouragement.
This was the most serious situation in 6 years of drone experience. I have done a little "hedge trimming" in the past but never over water.
When it first happened, I thought it would tumble into the river but was super surprised it didn't get hooked up and stayed upright. Heart in mouth stuff😁
Very lucky that I was able to retrieve it so easily and no damage, not even the props. It lives to fly another day.

Bravo! Hats off to the cool reaction. And it came to pass that Johana was delivered from the belly of the whale.

Most of my crashes were the result of flying sideways… into trees. POIs forward/backward with elevation change makes for cool shots, but when you’re in the middle of the maneuver, you can’t look sideways, up or down. Recovery is key. I had one crash on an island on the opposite side of a river hundreds of yards away that required driving, dropping off a bike downstream, kayaking across and downriver, hunting for 45 minutes, ferrying (paddling) back across the river, dropping the kayaking, biking back to the car, driving back to pick up the kayak. When watching footage of the crash and tumble down through the trees, it helps to be able to identify trees by their leaves.

Most of my crashes were the result of flying sideways… into trees. POIs forward/backward with elevation change makes for cool shots, but when you’re in the middle of the maneuver, you can’t look sideways, up or down. Recovery is key. I had one crash on an island on the opposite side of a river hundreds of yards away that required driving, dropping off a bike downstream, kayaking across and downriver, hunting for 45 minutes, ferrying (paddling) back across the river, dropping the kayaking, biking back to the car, driving back to pick up the kayak. When watching footage of the crash and tumble down through the trees, it helps to be able to identify trees by their leaves.
That 'adventure' would certainly take the shine off what was meant to be a relaxing flight 😁
As you say, recovery is key and hope not too much damage.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UR7CR