DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Signal Interruption

You mean this sort of restriction?
9/9535 NOTAM Details. Yes I know the restrictions, thats my point again. Those circles can be made any size that they decide and DJI drones obey.
If you look at the North portion of the restricted zone around Palm Beach airport, you can see how they made an indentation for the Stuart airport to be able to take flights North
away from the NFZ. I live just West of that indentation. Now the planes leaving the Stuart airport can certainly turn and fly south but better be prepared to get shot down if they continue
into the NFZ when the president is there. Nothing shuts off their engines from takeoff, But my less than 1 pound drone with limited distance and altitude can not leave the ground.
in my yard. Thats what I mean by overkill. I am a follower of rules and regulations in all aspects of life, (maybe 5 miles an hour over the speed limit), but see no need to restrict us
under these circumstances, thats all I'm saying.

Can I ask a technical question? How does DJI geofence a temporary NFZ for the President or whatever? I thought this was done with a software update that DJI does on occasion. If I haven't done an update for a few weeks because I haven't flown in a while - then my system would not have this temporary NFZ - correct? There was a comment about a signal that shuts down DJI drones within 30+ miles - that does not exist does it? I know the military has systems that block drone communications, etc - but this seemed to imply DJI sends out a control signal to prevent flying - does DJI really do that?

Can I ask a technical question? How does DJI geofence a temporary NFZ for the President or whatever? I thought this was done with a software update that DJI does on occasion. If I haven't done an update for a few weeks because I haven't flown in a while - then my system would not have this temporary NFZ - correct?
Your DJI app can check for updates to NFZs just as it checks for firmware updates etc, and then download an NFZ update that includes temporary NFZs like this one:
There was a comment about a signal that shuts down DJI drones within 30+ miles - that does not exist does it? I know the military has systems that block drone communications, etc - but this seemed to imply DJI sends out a control signal to prevent flying - does DJI really do that?
No DJI couldn't and doesn't do that.

You know, as I've been reading these posts, it would seem to me that the only way DJI could accomplish this is if my Samsung Tab A (what I use with the RC) were to connect at startup, connect to DJI and download any NFZ info. If that's true, then I'm thinking that, if you took something like my Samsung out to the field, where it couldn't find any internet (no wifi) before starting everything up (including the tablet), you probably wouldn't have this problem. Of course, permanent NFZ's, like airports, etc. would certainly already be stored, but it probably wouldn't be aware of temporary NFZ's just released.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vanillasky