DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Signal strength through glass

cirrusly

Reactions
How well does the RC signal pass through glass? My house is on the side of a mountain and from my great room window I have a clear view of the valley below because the trees have been topped for our view. To either side trees block the view.

I'm wondering if the signal strength will be strong if I use the controller from inside the house looking out the window.

It should do pretty well but you'll have to do a test.

How well does the RC signal pass through glass? My house is on the side of a mountain and from my great room window I have a clear view of the valley below because the trees have been topped for our view. To either side trees block the view.

I'm wondering if the signal strength will be strong if I use the controller from inside the house looking out the window.

The signal will pass perfectly through glass. I've flown this way as well from inside my living room. It's nice flying from inside as the screen will be so vivid without all the bright sunlight behind you.

Seems to pass right through my sunbrella boat bimini fabric.. (the boat sun shade)

I've flown 2 miles out sitting in my vehicle in desert terrain and had no issues.

it depends on the thickness and the refractive index of the glass and its purity. on average 2.4Ghz signals loose a very negligible amount of energy through household windows and glass doors around 1 to 3db.

I have seen a YOUTube vid of a guy sitting inside sliding glass doors fly his mavic, but it would depend on the window efficiency, if it is coated it may block more signal.
Personally, I would be concerned about being able to keep an eye on it.

The signal will not penetrate perfect through glass, there is a loss depending on the composition of glass itself. I've noticed additional brake up when flying in a vehicle. You should be very alart of your antenna positioning when flying in a vehicle.

Regards - Mike

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DvrkDrone