DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Simply will NOT connect

CountryGuy

Reactions
Tried everything that I can think of to connect my LG V20 Android phone reliably, but after hours of attempts about ready to give up. Weird thing is that there were a couple of times it actually did connect and seemed to work fine, but subsequent attempts failed.

Initially the issue seemed to be-- and may well still be-- related to permissions. When first connecting the phone the "Allow access" screen popped up (as it does when I want to transfer files from the SD card on the phone to the computer it's connected to) however that "Allow access" screen just flashed on and off, on and off, on and off-- with no way to "Allow".

Went into app settings and "Allowed" every permission available and at one point that seemed to work a couple of times, but now when I connect the phone it just vibrates off/on, off/on as soon as it detects the controller is connected to.

Unfortunately I don't have another phone to test with at this time so not sure if the issue is with the Mavic or the phone itself. Seems most likely the problem is with the phone or some setting somewhere in the phone. Perhaps someone has had to deal with and solve a similar problem?

It's just weird that a few times it actually DID connect & work, but since them... :(

I have a LG V20 and it has the same problem. I use a procedure based on voodoo not science which results in a 25-50% chance of connection. If it does not work I just repeat the procedure. When it works the Fly App will display "rc controller connected"
above the "connect aircraft " box. If I do not get the "rc..." display nothing will make it work and I just repeat the procedure. The procedure is as follows:
1. turn off the LG and controller (all apps cleared on the LG before turn-off), aircraft off
2. connect the cable on both ends
3. turn-on the LG. wait for it to fully boot up. do nothing (do not swipe) and let the LG go to sleep ( about 15 seconds)
4.after sleeping (LG screen black), turn on the controller
5. the LG will wake up, then swipe, Fly App should automatically start.
6. With luck the rc will be connected. If not, do the procedure again.
7. turn -on the aircraft, everything should work
Good luck

I have a LG V20 with android 8. I use it with the mini and MA2. I have the same problem with both using different cables. Which LG /android version are you using? I would love to get a mobile device at a reasonable price that connects reliably. The LG V20 works well (no crashes) once connected.

I have a LG V20 with android 8. I use it with the mini and MA2. I have the same problem with both using different cables. Which LG /android version are you using? I would love to get a mobile device at a reasonable price that connects reliably. The LG V20 works well (no crashes) once connected.
I have a Stylo 5 with android 9 and i got it for free by switching to Metro! You can get a couple good phones for free with them

Thanks for the information, but I do not want to change my cell service. I purchased the LG V20 as a renewed device with no cell service solely for use with the mavic mini (and later the MA2).

Reactions: Jam0ne

Using Android 8.0.0

I echo your sentiments re. device that connects reliably! Is there any consensus here as to what device this might be-- of the Android flavor?

I have a LG V20 and it has the same problem. I use a procedure based on voodoo not science which results in a 25-50% chance of connection. If it does not work I just repeat the procedure. When it works the Fly App will display "rc controller connected"
above the "connect aircraft " box. If I do not get the "rc..." display nothing will make it work and I just repeat the procedure. The procedure is as follows:
1. turn off the LG and controller (all apps cleared on the LG before turn-off), aircraft off
3. turn-on the LG. wait for it to fully boot up. do nothing (do not swipe) and let the LG go to sleep ( about 15 seconds)
Good luck
Good luck

Ah, good to see (in a selfish way) that I"m not alone. ;)

After my original post I tried yet another technique-- turning off/on, checking different boxes, blah blah... Somewhat encouraged as it started to connect successfully but of course I couldn't recall exactly all the steps taken and soon I was back to the same problem-- no connection.

So I tried the steps you outlined and although I need to test further that might put me on the right path.

At one point I had cleared the "Open by default" settings:

Settings --> General --> Apps & notifications --> App Info --> DJI Fly --> Open by default

Then when the LG connects you have the option to make opening DJI Fly app the default again and I chose "Cancel" then opened the app manually. That seemed to work for awhile. Awhile.

But your suggestion to power off the LG so far at least, has greatly improved the odds of connecting. Doesn't seem to make any difference whether I let the phone go to sleep after restarting, or whether opening the Fly app by default is enabled. Powering off completely and restarting seems to have the most positive effect. I do sometimes get the message "Allow the app DJI Fly to access the USB Accessory" and of course I allow that.

I'll continue to test and in the meantime thank you very much for your input. At least now I think that while there's no guarantee there will be a successful connection 100% of the time, there's hope. Now I'm glad that after my initial frustration I didn't follow through on my plan to feed the controller to my dog. ?

Reactions: hiflyer201
Thanks for the information, but I do not want to change my cell service. I purchased the LG V20 as a renewed device with no cell service solely for use with the mavic mini (and later the MA2).

I didn't have my Mavic when I bought this refurbished V20 but the main appeal to me was the fact that this is one of the very few phones that have a replaceable battery. Something I can kid friends about when they're scrambling to find a power source to recharge and I just put in a new, fully charged battery. ?

Has anyone tried putting your phone in developer mode?
You can Google how to do that and if it’s permissions that might fix it.

Has anyone tried putting your phone in developer mode?
You can Google how to do that and if it’s permissions that might fix it.

Good thought, but my phone is and has been in developer mode from the beginning of the issue.

Good luck
Jiml Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! This TOTLLY worked for me after the second try. I was having EXACTLY THE VERY SAME ISSUES with my LG V20 that you were. Sometimes it would connect, sometimes it wouldn't. Just when I thought I had discovered a correct sequence, then this too would fail. Just for you information, I had re-uploaded all the latest firmware in both the Controller and the Drone. I had even replaced my LG Phone with a new one, as I had recently dropped it. I also tried a new controller cable . . . nothing seemed to work. I think the Mini just doesn't like to pair its' Controller with LG Phones, I'd bet good money there are no issues with Iphones, but perhaps I am wrong. I had tried every possible scenario and sequence, excepting fully powering off the phone as you suggested. And . . . even the screen where it tells you to screw on the sticks and power on the controller, tells you to leave the cable disconnected until you power on. I do know, if my phone makes a beep sound a few seconds after powering on the controller, then it is connected to the phone, no beep, no connection. Thanks so very much for this LG V20 Work around !!!!

I have a new Mini 2 and new Motorola G7 Power running Android 10, and I've had trouble connecting. I decided to risk a flight today but had so much trouble connecting, app off and on, Mini off and on, restart controller, unplug, plug phone, hold the Mini belly button until it beeps, that I chickened out. I lost my Spark in a flyaway less than an hour out of the box, and I'm gun shy. I've used the Mini 2 on a tripod for remote birdwatching so far only, had a few glitches then. Has the Mini 2 held its connection well once established? Any flyaways other than one I read about on a forum. Today I noted that, even though I was right beside the Mini 2, the app indicated I was 25 feet away. This was in an open field with good sat and gps indicators. Do you think this one is safe to fly?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
comoxvalleydroneservices