DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sink holes

Wersh

Reactions
Has anyone been able to be lucky enough to travel or in this case not as lucky.. to have a sink hole next to them? Russia is getting a bunch of them and I’m hearing some are “bottomless”. So has anyone seen or flown their mavic down a sink hole ?

Has anyone been able to be lucky enough to travel or in this case not as lucky.. to have a sink hole next to them? Russia is getting a bunch of them and I’m hearing some are “bottomless”. So has anyone seen or flown their mavic down a sink hole ?
Never tried anything like that, but I'd keep a close eye on the GPS satellite count if doing so - you'll start to see them dwindling and at some point there won't be enough to be stable, I would guess.

Reactions: Wersh
U don't have to descend, check out to posts on flashlights

Where are they / where are you
They are in the same place they've always been, and I have, on occasion, been so close I was inside them. ;)

This park is just a handful of miles away and has a bunch of fantastic examples of various sinks all in one area:
Leon Sinks Geological Area - Wikipedia

My area of Florida is pretty well known for sinks. There are thousands all over....ranging from kitchen table sized dry depressions all the way up to couple hundred feet deep and a couple hundred across with another hundred or so feet of water down from there.

I guess to clarify...if you're thinking of a random hole opening up and swallowing things leaving a huge cave to fly into...that's not quite how the common sinkhole works. The ones that are open, usually are full of groundwater to near the ground surface. The ones closed, aren't deep enough to be worthwhile to fly into.

Here's a now famous one that recently opened in the central part of the state:
USF researchers using drones to understand massive Land O’ Lakes sinkhole

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poppy52