DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Situational Awareness

kyle76joslin

Reactions
Hello fellow operators, for the past two months ive been reviewing drones and different companies. Sorta new to the civilian drone world. So far, Mavic seems the best rout to go as far as capabilities. The only issue I'm concerned about is all the firmware updates and reports of DJI grounding drones by updates in software. I've been waiting to pull the trigger on purchasing the Mavic..even have everything saved in one shopping list on Amazon. Sorta one click buy everything I need in one shot.

My question is this, with all this hacking and DJI threatening to turn em all into bricks...from those that have real world dealings with the Mavic...anyone with regrets?

You're looking at an amplified minority of users.. the issues are real but their impact on your average user is minimal. Check the location where you live for NFZ zones, if you see enough space for you to fly in then go ahead an get the Mavic, you won't regret it (unless you refuse to read the manual and crash on your first flight ;)

I've have 150+ flights on my Mavic and I have yet to hit an issue where a NFZ would keep me from shooting what I wanted to shoot.. but granted, I'm usually somewhere in the AZ desert.

Last edited:
Thank you for the heads up. Yes, I'm one of those who actually read the instructions...as well as YouTube. I located a newly opened location for drone sales here in Colorado Springs, called Dronenerds. They carry mostly DJI products and a few from other companies. While I was on location and discussing NFZ and regulations, he introduced me to a different app. Hover. Almost half of the yellow zones that were overlapping and creating red zones disappeared. So what do I go off of for knowing where the zones are if getting different results?

Bought it a month ago, its update 1 firmware update in that time (to .900 the week after i bought it) and 1 DJI Go update. Both worked without issue. Ive done 50 flights, about 10.5 hours in the air and it just works. No grounding, no restrictions. When ive wanted it to fly, its flown.

Sounds good to me. Soon as the price drops a bit ill get one. That, and I'm wating to see how far DJI is going to go with this Fw stuff. Don't wanna buy one and a week later it won't work due to DJI enforcing something...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661