DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Size Needed for Active Track to work

LaaLaa

Reactions
Hi

I have a Mavic Pro (Mavic Mini on order) and was wondering if anyone has any experience of the object size needed to successfully execute Active Track? Could my MP track my MM in the air or my RC boat?

I've done some GoPro footage from my RC boat in the past and thought that rear facing footage with my MP in shot (from the boat) could be pretty cool as well as in air MM from MP?

Hi

I have a Mavic Pro (Mavic Mini on order) and was wondering if anyone has any experience of the object size needed to successfully execute Active Track? Could my MP track my MM in the air or my RC boat?

I've done some GoPro footage from my RC boat in the past and thought that rear facing footage with my MP in shot (from the boat) could be pretty cool as well as in air MM from MP?
you could give it a go but i think it would be quite difficult ,if you do try it come back and let us know how you got on

Hi

I don't think this would be possible using Active Track. I have used Active Track on my Spark, tracking me and although it works especially in wide open spaces, it will often loose track. Being that the MM is so tiny, I can't see it holding a lock on it for very long.

One app that might do what you want is AutoPilot (iOS only). It has a feature called 'Airspace'. Airspace is like an advanced form of Tracking. Although I have never used it for this purpose its seems like it could work. It would use the GPS of each aircraft to track each other. I have used AutoPilot extensively for tracking myself while doing numerous activities (walking, biking, kayaking, snowmobiling, etc) and it has worked great. In this case it tracks my transmitter, not me so as long as there is a signal between the AC and transmitter, it tracks.

If you are using an iOS device, it might be something to look into.

Chris

Reactions: LaaLaa
I had trouble getting Active Track 2 on my M2Z to track a kite I had flying, even zoomed in. Kite is about 2 feet wide. Problem was it swayed way too much and I had to keep the Mavic at a safe distance. The two didn't mix to keep a lock. I'll soon post a video once I have the good parts edited.

Reactions: LaaLaa

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer