DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Size of still photos for real estate Mavik Pro 2

skyimage

Reactions
Hi- having feedback from my realtor clients that it's taking forever for them to download the pics that I send via ShareFile. Very basic questions, but what size should they be when I'm shooting? I edit in PhotoShop, what size should I save them in after editing to send? Thank you in advance for any help. I send all in JPEG format.

Hi- having feedback from my realtor clients that it's taking forever for them to download the pics that I send via ShareFile. Very basic questions, but what size should they be when I'm shooting? I edit in PhotoShop, what size should I save them in after editing to send? Thank you in advance for any help. I send all in JPEG format.
Have you asked your clients what size photos they normally use in their listings ? If they are doing MLS listings ask them to get the photo size that the MLS wants/requires. That way you can format the photos to what is needed taking the guess work out of it.

Have you asked your clients what size photos they normally use in their listings ? If they are doing MLS listings ask them to get the photo size that the MLS wants/requires. That way you can format the photos to what is needed taking the guess work out of it.

Thank you, I have done that, I guess my question is more along the lines of why it takes so long to download even if they are the correct size.

How big are the ones you have? What are their download and upload speeds? I included upload because data going one way has to be acknowledged the other way or it gets resent. Similar to one saying "copy" that they understood what the other said on a two way radio. That's the problem these days with cable. Upload/download speeds are asymmetrical and they only advertise the awesome download speed with upload 1/10 or less of the download.

How big are the ones you have? What are their download and upload speeds? I included upload because data going one way has to be acknowledged the other way or it gets resent. Similar to one saying "copy" that they understood what the other said on a two way radio. That's the problem these days with cable. Upload/download speeds are asymmetrical and they only advertise the awesome download speed with upload 1/10 or less of the download.
Thank you. They are under 10MB which I thought was the recommended size. My upload and download speed is good. It's the realtors who are saying it is taking a long time to download/upload.

Sharefile is a file cloud storage much like Onedrive, Dropbox or Google Drive. Once the file is up there, it's just a file and 10MB isn't very big. Sounds like a problem with how they are connecting to your account or accessing the file. Perhaps you can have a friend test accessing the files with you the way you have the realtors get them.

Sharefile is a file cloud storage much like Onedrive, Dropbox or Google Drive. Once the file is up there, it's just a file and 10MB isn't very big. Sounds like a problem with how they are connecting to your account or accessing the file. Perhaps you can have a friend test accessing the files with you the way you have the realtors get them.
Thank you

As a Realtor and drone pilot, I have the answer. The best resolution for MLS on the web are photos in 72 DPI.

Hi I’ve been doing real estate photography for a while now. I always send the realtor 2 versions of my photos, one HIRES (300 whatever it is per inch), and LOWRES (70 whatever it is per inch). The HIRES is only for printing, for brochures. If they’re not doing a brochure, they don’t need HIRES. LOWRES is for absolutely everything else.

I never understood DPI for electronic media. Inch all depends on what the media is printed/displayed on.
I can display a 1920x1080 on a 10" diagonal screen or a 65" diagonal. The latter will have a smaller DPI for the same image since you're spreading the same number of dots across more inches.
Same with printing. It would depend on the print size.

In either case, the download speed should remain the same. I could see the application ultimately using the file having a problem due to incompatibility, but a 10MB file, whatever it is (picture, word document, text file, executable, etc) should take roughly 10 seconds across a 10Mb download link. A 1Mb link would take under 2 minutes, but I doubt anyone has a 1Mb download anymore. Well, maybe DSL might be that low.

Reactions: Kilrah
10MB is fine, the question is more like what service are you using to send, or whether they have a trash internet connection.

As a Realtor and drone pilot, I have the answer. The best resolution for MLS on the web are photos in 72 DPI.
Either you switched ultra-pedantic mode on or you have no idea what you're talking about - hard to guess which.

DPI indeed means nothing at all for a digital image file unless that's used to tell a printing company at what resolution to print.

Try checking download speed to someone else’s computer account on a different computer. Your provider may not be giving everybody the same download speeds.

The additional thing you can do is to use less than 100% jpeg quality. 75% works ok, and creates much smaller files. You should really understand how the agency will use the files and size and encode for that.

Yes, this is the best workflow. Note that you can reduce the pixel dimensions also, which you should do to map to the real estate’s intended use. Shoot max image size raw to preserve the highest quality original, reduce both pixel dimensions and convert to Reduced quality jpg for highest speed download delivery. Note hat this all sacrifices the quality of the end delivery in all cases.

“There is no free lunch”

I second Dave's last post, pixel dimensions and jpg compression will affect file size, not DPI.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet