DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Skin's to prevent bird attacks?

I've not tried it with a drone, but as a fruit grower I've found some of the most effective bird scarers are marked with large eyeballs. The background colour doesn't seem to matter as long as it has strong contrast.
E.G.
17.jpg
Nice skin with that face ;)

Attachments

• Mav.png
    Mav.png
    184.6 KB · Views: 228
Same here... they (segulls again) were not buzzing me, but the swarm I cam upon near the river was pretty dense and my obstacle avoidance kicked in a couple times! Scary watching the video just how close they do come.... seemingly without concern. I was flying a fair amount slower than they were...

Yup me too seagulls are very territorial. They gather numbers and then they will fly towards the craft. As other pointed out dont dive just increase your altitude and when they are far enoguh plan your scape :)

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I wonder the same thing. Do birds avoid certain colored drones? Do different designs prevent bird attacks? You have to keep your finger ready for sport mode to evade aggressive birds. Lol

G'day,
On this site I have seen many different methods of avoiding bird attacks but I'm curious to know if a brightly coloured or even a camo skin would scare the birds away, Thanks.

A Hillary skin would surely work wouldn't it? Seriously though I have heard that brightly colored objects are more apt to scare away our feathered friends. I am trying the lime green lighting bolt skin from decalgirl. Funny thing is Bird-X is a bird deterrent company and they have bird-x drones to repel birds. I say put her in sport mode and run for the hills...

Reactions: lotpb
I'm going to try a bright yellow skin on my Mavic. We have no birds of that colour here in Vancouver and I am hoping, at the very least, flocks of birds will be able to notice the Mavic and therefore not run into it accidentally.

Ok here was my idea but I am defiantly not a bird expert but we have bald eagles here in Washington along with various hawks that can cause serious damage to a drone. I believe birds like to swoop in from above or the side and they judge distances and shapes, I assume like we do from contrast of light, so I put camo on mine so they would hopefully have a harder time judging the drones size and distance while looking down on it if it's blending in with the ground.
No idea if it actually works.

Eagles learn very quickly, just because it stops an attack one day doesn't mean it will another day

Flip into Sport mode and you can get the heck outta Dodge very quickly . Obstacle avoidance is disabled so you won't have to worry about it just stopping midair to give the attacking bird a tempting sitting duck target .

Just a report here from Texas, more on birds that have zero aggression: There is a large migration of robins that are going through our neighborhood. Every evening as we approach sundown, thousands of robins cross my neighborhood, groups of 20-100 or more streaming for a good 45 minutes. I've flown up into their path and they avoid the drone, quite fearful of it.

This is in sharp contrast to other small birds in my town (not sure of the species) who seem to flock together and rush at the drone and swarm in circles around it (but never hit it). Looks like they are defending territory and gang up to scare a "predator" away. Maybe it's their territory and they are defensive, while the robins are just passing through and wish to escape (nothing to defend).

great ideas...i might even try to wrap mine in orange when i get it (still in order).
but arent birds color-blind?

G'day,
On this site I have seen many different methods of avoiding bird attacks but I'm curious to know if a brightly coloured or even a camo skin would scare the birds away, Thanks.

I have recently by attacked by a gooes

I think I will try some light reflector on the Mavic's arms, then if does not work I will attach a spear to the Mavic :)

I have recently by attacked by a gooes

I think I will try some light reflector on the Mavic's arms, then if does not work I will attach a spear to the Mavic :)

Have you tried any light reflector tape? - Has it made any difference?

Bright blue LED's are said to repel birds. Not sure how well they can see those in the daylight, but there's a study out there.

The seagulls at my local beaches and cliffs are a real pain when flying my Mavic Pro, they arrive and get quite close to it within a few minutes wanting to chase it away.

I flew my white Mavic Air there and it was only after about 30 minutes - so into the 2nd battery - that one seagull decided to investigate and get annoyed.

Not sure if it is the fact that it is white from above, smaller or the different pitch noise it makes but the Air does seem to allow me to fly for longer without worrying about seagull attack.

Rumor has it that the orange, carbon fiber print skin is best, for keeping birds off your drone. Not sure if there is any science behind this, but it does kinda make sense. There is no known prey for a bird that is bright orange, unless you count Nutria, with their orange teeth, but I doubt those things taste good enough to eat. :)

My skin is orange. Hawks have circled and watched my drone on 3 occasions, but did not attack. Can't verify if it was because of the color.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1