DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

SKYREAT ND filters and more

It might be important to remind members as to what a polarizing filter does, namely increases saturation and reduce reflections from non metallic sources. One reason you need to be able to adjust the orientation of a polarizing filter is so the filter does not interfere with the camera being able to determine the correct exposure (polarizing filters also can interfere with autofocus systems) Circular polarizing filters solve this problem by having a standard linear filter which does the job by only allowing light rays vibrating in the correct ordination to transverse the filter, a second filter called a "retarder" scrambles the light so it now vibrates in all planes. You need to be able to rotate the filter to maximize the effect, a filter that does not rotate has limited value.

The Skyreat filters are not circular polarized although I have yet to have issues with the auto focus. I don’t use auto exposure so I can not comment. I thought I read somewhere online that they have no ill-affect on small cameras such as these but it’s the Internet so I take that into consideration.

As for the limited value of nonrotating filters, the mileage on that is going to vary from person to person But in general, I would agree. For someone such as myself however, the CPLs I do have are set at vertical and I don’t touch them.

The rotatable PL filters will be release at next week ,And also fit with the gimbal cover. Moreover, we mark the best point of polarization on the frame, which is more convenient for multi-angle requirements when shooting.
I believe that this updated filters will be the best mavic 2 pro filters on the market.I will post the photos here next Tuesday.

Any update on the rotatable polarized filters? Looking forward to trying these out. -RJ

Reactions: FiShBuRn
The notion that oversizing the filters so they didn't fit the gimbal cover is a benefit to me makes no sense. Why on earth would I want something that makes changing filters marginally easier when it FORCES me to change the filter at the end of a session.

The video posted showing that the stock gimbal cover can by used by prying the camera away from the drone so it can fit around the Skyreat filter. This, IMO, should give one pause. I'm not willing to put stress and strain on the most important part of the drone so that I can use a cheaper filter.

I am glad to hear that Skyreat is re-designing these filters and the only people effected should be those of use with the first gen filters. That was the right call. I do hope the re-design also fits more snugly as my set all rattle loosely on the camera.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the PolarPro's fit in comparison whenever they arrive. I thought Skyreat had mentioned them being made at the same facility.

As for how they function as filters... they work great so far, I am looking forward to filming with them more.

I will add to an earlier comment that ND16 is not enough in full sun. I'm willing to bet 64 is the sweet spot.

Last edited:
I have the skyreat filters (first Gen) and can attest to how good they are. Very impressed, but the fit is definitely an issue.

Skyreat has acknowledged this and offered to send the second Gen ones when they come into stock. I for one am very happy to see this. Seems a pleasure to deal with when contacted directly!

I have the skyreat filters (first Gen) and can attest to how good they are. Very impressed, but the fit is definitely an issue.

Skyreat has acknowledged this and offered to send the second Gen ones when they come into stock. I for one am very happy to see this. Seems a pleasure to deal with when contacted directly!
Please just contact with me by email or amazon message.
My email address: [email protected]

The notion that oversizing the filters so they didn't fit the gimbal cover is a benefit to me makes no sense. Why on earth would I want something that makes changing filters marginally easier when it FORCES me to change the filter at the end of a session.

I agree that it does’t make sense, but I have the original Skyreat filters and find it quite easy to put the gimbal cover on and off with the filter mounted on the camera, once you take to time to learn the simple procedure. And in my opinion, the tiny overhang on the sides makes it easier to grab and remove the filter with a finger nail.

But having said all that, it’s good to know that Skyreat is coming out with a second generation of filters that will clear the gimbal cover just like the original DJI lens. (And if they want to replace my originals, I won’t resist. But I can work with the ones I have.) Now, looking forward to the rotating polarized filters.

Ray Jay

Reactions: Skyreat
I don't mean to disparage Skyreat at all, they've been great to deal with, and I do think it says a lot that they're just changing the design, there are a lot of companies that like to just double down in that scenario.

Full disclosure, I did receive a set of filters to test, which I've only recently received. So far I'm quite pleased with them and the results I'm seeing. I've done some quick and dirty testing for color casting with the ND16 and ND16PL, and things are looking great so far. I see far more switching between $1000 lenses on my DSLR, to a degree it could just be my method.

When I'm posting about issues I see with things, it's because I'm not going to not mention something, no matter how much I paid for something. So far, I really like these filters, even with what I view as a couple of flaws that were being addressed before I ever even got the product. IMO, that speaks to a well run company anyway.

I'm looking forward to doing more testing and posting a more in-depth honest review.

The video posted showing that the stock gimbal cover can by used by prying the camera away from the drone so it can fit around the Skyreat filter. This, IMO, should give one pause. I'm not willing to put stress and strain on the most important part of the drone so that I can use a cheaper filter.

I am glad to hear that Skyreat is re-designing these filters and the only people effected should be those of use with the first gen filters. That was the right call. I do hope the re-design also fits more snugly as my set all rattle loosely on the camera.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the PolarPro's fit in comparison whenever they arrive. I thought Skyreat had mentioned them being made at the same facility.

As for how they function as filters... they work great so far, I am looking forward to filming with them more.

I will add to an earlier comment that ND16 is not enough in full sun. I'm willing to bet 64 is the sweet spot.

If you are referring to my video, I was not prying the camera forward. The gimbal cover in itself is clumsy and most people will bounce the camera around trying to put it on regardless. The video was a PSA, nothing more and nothing less. YMMV.

The important thing to take away here is that I notified @Skyreat immediately and they were swift with a resolution.

It's coming..

I just went to your website and cannot find the link to see the new filters or any filter for the DJI Mavic 2 Pro.

Can you please share a link to see the products and place an order?

Is this shipping all the way from China? So does that mean a super long wait of like a month or more to get the filters?

If anybody can shed some light on this I would appreciate it. Since I do not know if Skyreat may provide all answers. But I seem to be leaning towards maybe buying from this company. Would love to see these your new filters that is ND and PL combined together.

When would we see them? Please, do not rush to release this thing and get a bunch of customers complaining nonstop about how flawed it ends up being. I just know it is kind of common when a new product is released, it can meet some serious criticism if it has some flaws when it was rushed through production.

I just went to your website and cannot find the link to see the new filters or any filter for the DJI Mavic 2 Pro.

Can you please share a link to see the products and place an order?

Is this shipping all the way from China? So does that mean a super long wait of like a month or more to get the filters?

If anybody can shed some light on this I would appreciate it. Since I do not know if Skyreat may provide all answers. But I seem to be leaning towards maybe buying from this company. Would love to see these your new filters that is ND and PL combined together.

When would we see them? Please, do not rush to release this thing and get a bunch of customers complaining nonstop about how flawed it ends up being. I just know it is kind of common when a new product is released, it can meet some serious criticism if it has some flaws when it was rushed through production.

My order did come direct from China. I ordered 9/5/18 and recieved them 9/24/18.

As far as performance, I'd rate these as pretty darn good personally. They are the only filters I've been able to get in had just yet.

I'd expect the second version to be nice as well.

Personally, I'd like to test the adhesives and coating durability before I go saying anything like "XXXX is the best". Right now, there aren't many people that have enough filter samples on hand to even begin that kind of comparison.

My order did come direct from China. I ordered 9/5/18 and recieved them 9/24/18.

As far as performance, I'd rate these as pretty darn good personally. They are the only filters I've been able to get in had just yet.

I'd expect the second version to be nice as well.

Personally, I'd like to test the adhesives and coating durability before I go saying anything like "XXXX is the best". Right now, there aren't many people that have enough filter samples on hand to even begin that kind of comparison.

So our orders do come directly from China? Cool.

Can you share the link to where you placed your order? I cannot find it. What filters did you buy?

Their website is confusing and does not have Mavic 2 Pro on it. So, cannot find the filters on their website.

Here is a link to their website that I found...

Skyreat.com website, but cannot find the filters for M2Pro...

I just know it is kind of common when a new product is released, it can meet some serious criticism if it has some flaws when it was rushed through production.

You mean like our beloved Mavic 2's :D:D:D

Reactions: Trees138
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lab916