DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Slight swelling of my Mavic 2 battery

DJI DelBoy

Reactions
So I was going through my 4 batteries and I noticed one of them has swelled slightly - the bottom where the black DJI label is has risen a fraction of a millimetre. It’s barely noticeable but it’s clear upon closer inspection that the base of the battery isn’t completely flat any more.

It still fits in my Mavic 2 and both clips still engage...but one end is only just slightly raised and not completely flush with the rest of the Mavic 2’s body. When I push the top end down it’s flush but then the bottom end is a fraction of a millimetre higher than the body and vice verse.

Is it safe to continue using it?? There’s no sign of heat, cracks or anything else.

As long as it locks in securely, it should be okay. The real test is to check it after a flight. Bulging is more noticeable right after using.

You could wrap a Velcro strap around it while in use if you are worried about more swelling.

Reactions: DJI DelBoy
As long as it locks in securely, it should be okay. The real test is to check it after a flight. Bulging is more noticeable right after using.

You could wrap a Velcro strap around it while in use if you are worried about more swelling.

Thanks! I haven’t done that many flights so I don’t want to dispose of it because of a tiny bit of swelling...but like you said the real test is after a flight. I think I won’t do any serious flying with the slightly swollen battery but having to fork out over £100 for new battery - especially so close to Christmas ?

We recommend disposing of it (properly of course) and getting a new one. Better safe than sorry. This can cause your drone to lose power mid flight if it happens to disconnect. You also could be causing damage to your drone by forcing it down for the clips to fully engage.

You also run the risk of the batteries exploding or leaking, which will cause even more damage if inside your drone, and possibly to household items if it happens at home.

We recommend disposing of it (properly of course) and getting a new one. Better safe than sorry. This can cause your drone to lose power mid flight if it happens to disconnect. You also could be causing damage to your drone by forcing it down for the clips to fully engage.

You also run the risk of the batteries exploding or leaking, which will cause even more damage if inside your drone, and possibly to household items if it happens at home.
This is the best advice posted. Retire the battery from flight. They are cheap compared to drones.

Bad advice, the battery can swell and pop out during flight. If you have to put a Velcro strap you know you have a disaster waiting to happen. Just not worth the risk.

So I was going through my 4 batteries and I noticed one of them has swelled slightly - the bottom where the black DJI label is has risen a fraction of a millimetre. It’s barely noticeable but it’s clear upon closer inspection that the base of the battery isn’t completely flat any more.

It still fits in my Mavic 2 and both clips still engage...but one end is only just slightly raised and not completely flush with the rest of the Mavic 2’s body. When I push the top end down it’s flush but then the bottom end is a fraction of a millimetre higher than the body and vice verse.

Is it safe to continue using it?? There’s no sign of heat, cracks or anything else.
I posted a similar thread recently and those in the know recommended disposal.I know it's hard to swallow ditching a $140 almost fine battery but I did it and I'm a cheapskate!

Bad advice, the battery can swell and pop out during flight. If you have to put a Velcro strap you know you have a disaster waiting to happen. Just not worth the risk.
Your opinion. My opinion was based on the OP's description of the swelling; "the black DJI label has risen a fraction of a millimeter. It’s barely noticeable but it’s clear upon closer inspection that the base of the battery isn’t completely flat any more. " I have a two year old battery in similar condition that locks securely in the MP, does not swell more when used, and does not show any reduced performance or flying time. That is why I suggested to check it again after use to see if the swelling is more pronounced.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots