DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Slo-mo footage - done in post?

Dakrisht

Reactions
1:38 in this video:

Was this done in post or was he shooting 60 or 120fps? Looks like a P4P from the propellers but curious how to achieve this effect in the M2P?

I’m usually shooting 4K/30 HQ as we don’t get the option to shoot 60 or 120fps in 4K :(

Reactions: Bobvt
Thats shot at 1080 60FPS and slow down in post.

FCPX allows you to slow down 30 or ever 24 FPS 4K. As long as there's not A LOT of movement in the frame it actually works very well.

Reactions: Bryce steiner

Was this done in post or was he shooting 60 or 120fps? Looks like a P4P from the propellers but curious how to achieve this effect in the M2P?

I’m usually shooting 4K/30 HQ as we don’t get the option to shoot 60 or 120fps in 4K :(

I think he is actually speeding up the footage before and after that part to make it look like it’s slow motion when it’s actually just real time or only slightly slowed down. It’s a trick of the mind

I think he is actually speeding up the footage before and after that part to make it look like it’s slow motion when it’s actually just real time. It’s a trick of the mind

So your implying that he recorded 9 minutes in slow mo and then sped the entire video up besides the scene we’re discussing?

I could be wrong but that’s my guess. Also you don’t record in slo-mo you record the frames and then play back the frames.

Playing the frames at a lower frame rate then recorded is how you get slow-motion.

Why ANYONE would do that is besides me but hey to each your own. It’s clearly recorded at 1080 which you can record at 60FPS so why you would go with your theory is hard to believe

And if he recorded in regular speed and sped it up the waves and people would be moving fast

Why ANYONE would do that is besides me but hey to each your own. It’s clearly recorded at 1080 which you can record at 60FPS so why you would go with your theory is hard to believe

First of all these things aren't mutually exclusive. He could have recorded at 1080p 60FPS and then doubled the playback speed everywhere but the "slow-mo" bits. I think most of the video is faster than real time though.

But I'm not sure how you can be so confident that it was recorded in 1080p 60FPS? This video is 30 FPS so to get the "normal speed" at 30 FPS he would have had to speed up the footage. You are actually arguing my point. A 60FPS clip played back at 30 FPS would be very slow which we don't see here. A 9 min clip recorded at 60 FPS played back at 30FPS(like we see here) would be 18 mins long.

One of the dead give aways for sped up video when there are changes in exposure value. We see this happen a few time a its very abrupt and sudden. When I automatic mode this is done very gradually and in manual mode most people try to do it gradually. We see that the changes happen very quickly, faster than automatic forsure and faster than somebody who clearly has experience and talent operating would do manually

And yes I think the water and the people are moving too quickly about 2x fast.

Reactions: Dakrisht

So that was some of the best footage I have ever seen shot with the P4P and I also saw the Inspire flying out also.

The slow motion was most likely in 60 frames a second and there was a good chance that it was edited with a special slow motion program called TWIXTOR which allows you to really focus on the slow motion quality, works with Final Cut X .

I am also basing this on how little slow motion there was in the video as getting it smooth takes some good editing skills also.

Here is a screen shot of Twitor and the slow mo settings , this can really dial in your slow motion frame by frame.
Its a few steps beyond optical flow.

Either way it was exceptional flying skills and the slow motion was fantastic to watch, thanks for sharing

Phantomrain.org
Approved Vendor
Gear to fly your Mavic 2 in and out of the storm.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DanManNYC