DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Slowing down video in Premier Pro

MikeinMO

Reactions
Hello everyone.

I have the Air 2s and shoot in 4K 30 FPS. I use the Adobe Creative Cloud software and do my videos in Premier Pro. I use a MacBook Air with the new M1 chip.

Hardware out of the way, I’m having issues slowing down my footage in Premier. Sometimes the shot is just a touch too fast, so I’ll use the Speed adjustment and knock the speed down 5-10% with the hope of slowing it down a touch. However when I do this, the final rendered clip is choppy and unusable. It’s like the video skips ever so slightly.

I’m not sure how to remedy this issue. Should I shoot in 4K 60 FPS? Is there another method to slow down the clip in Premier? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reactions: MikeinMO
Hello everyone.

I have the Air 2s and shoot in 4K 30 FPS. I use the Adobe Creative Cloud software and do my videos in Premier Pro. I use a MacBook Air with the new M1 chip.

Hardware out of the way, I’m having issues slowing down my footage in Premier. Sometimes the shot is just a touch too fast, so I’ll use the Speed adjustment and knock the speed down 5-10% with the hope of slowing it down a touch. However when I do this, the final rendered clip is choppy and unusable. It’s like the video skips ever so slightly.

I’m not sure how to remedy this issue. Should I shoot in 4K 60 FPS? Is there another method to slow down the clip in Premier? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Here give this a try. It works for me.

Hello everyone.

I am not an expert in Premiere Pro but it sounds like you are mixing the various sequences. I learned to convert all of the sequences at the beginning. I found this tutorial very helpful.

I use the speed/duration option and can make speed changes in Premiere Pro and the video stays smooth. Going from 100 percent to 200 or 300 percent does however magnify the points where I was not very smooth in my flying such as quick turns.

I use the speed/duration option and can make speed changes in Premiere Pro and the video stays smooth. Going from 100 percent to 200 or 300 percent does however magnify the points where I was not very smooth in my flying such as quick turns.
For this very reason, I have found that it is better for me to fly very slowly, or in cinematic mode and speed up in Premiere rather than to fly fast and slow down in Premiere.

The best way to get smooth slow motion is to overcrank (shoot at a higher frame rate than you finish at, in this case, shooting 4K60 and ending at 4K30 or something similar), so to answer your question, yes, you should give 4K60 a try! In Premiere, in the project panel after you import your clip, right-click on the clip, then go to Modify>Interpret footage and set the frame rate to 30 (or whatever your target frame rate is). Premiere will read the file back as if it's in that target frame rate and you'll end up with a much smoother slow motion!

If you still want it slower at that point, that's when I'd use the speed/duration option and set interpolation to Optical Flow (just check for weird artifacts afterwards, it usually works pretty well but sometimes it can be a bit wonky).

Hello everyone.

Are you talking about choppy playback using the source monitor in Premiere or choppy playback in the rendered final product? If it's the former, try using proxy files, it will make editing of 4k material a lot easier.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98