DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Small point about the Air2s vs Mavic 2 Pro...

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
I have nothing bad to say about the Air2s and I think many of the new features are incredible for this new model. But if you're on the fence regarding the Air2s vs the Mavic 2 pro, there is one big advantage that I think the Mavic 2 Pro and zoom have over the other DJI models: The controller.

The shape of the controllers aside, It has recently come to my attention that the Mavic 2 controller has many more useful buttons to access feathers lacking on the controllers that is part of the Mavic Air 2, Mini 2 and Air2s package. For starters, the Mavic 2 controller has separate controls for starting and stopping video or photos. No need to switch modes and have to monitor your screen for which mode your in. The left button is for video only and the right for photos only. The you have the C1 and C2 switches and the 5D switch. And then there is the LCD display. If your phone goes dead with the Mavic 2 you can still pilot your drone with the controller only and know how high it is, distance, how much battery life it has and other bits of information that we don't use- until we need it. I had a circumstance just tonight where I didn't have access to my phone while flying but didn't feel blind as I was able to use my controller without stress or worry.

The one thing I never looked into was the Smart Controller. Other than the build in viewing screen, what other features does it have that the M2 or Air2/Mini2 controller lacks?

Reactions: FASTFJR
I used to agree with you, but after using the newer style controller on the mini 2, Air 2, and now Air 2S for over a year; I don’t ever wanna go back. I do miss the telemetry though.

Reactions: maggior
You can switch between video and camera mode with the video and camera buttons. For instance, on my MA2 (smart controller) if I am in video mode and I want to take a picture, I first press the video button to stop video. Next I press the photo button which takes me to photo mode. Next press of the photo button takes a picture.

Maybe this is a difference with the Smart Controller...not sure what buttons are on the standard controller since I've never had one.

Very much understood regarding having basic telemetry on the controller. If the app crashes, phone shuts down, etc, you at least have some data to work with. If anything, seeing those distance numbers go down as you bring the drone back in is comforting.

Reactions: Greenflash
I prefer the ergonomics of the Mini 2 controller but agree the lack of dedicated buttons is a disappointment.
I have both controller types. And to me the ergonomics is about equal. The newer controller style is heavier so can support a phone being on top. But the M2 controller, with the phone installed is equally well balances, lighter, and has many more features. The only advantage to the Mini2/Air2 controller is that it has a larger battery. Why is that even needed? I've always had more than enough battery power on my M2 controller to handle multiple flights, even while charging my phone. Additionally the lighter weight of the M2 controller allows me to more comfortably use a lanyard when I need to go hands free so I don't have to set my controller down in the snow or mud. How many hands does it take to put down a landing pad, set your drone on it and hold the controller? If need by the Mavic 2 controller, folded, can fit in my jacket pocket. Can't say the same for the Mini 2 controller. Just sayin'.

Reactions: projectarjun
I have nothing bad to say about the Air2s and I think many of the new features are incredible for this new model. But if you're on the fence regarding the Air2s vs the Mavic 2 pro, there is one big advantage that I think the Mavic 2 Pro and zoom have over the other DJI models: The controller.

The shape of the controllers aside, It has recently come to my attention that the Mavic 2 controller has many more useful buttons to access feathers lacking on the controllers that is part of the Mavic Air 2, Mini 2 and Air2s package. For starters, the Mavic 2 controller has separate controls for starting and stopping video or photos. No need to switch modes and have to monitor your screen for which mode your in. The left button is for video only and the right for photos only. The you have the C1 and C2 switches and the 5D switch. And then there is the LCD display. If your phone goes dead with the Mavic 2 you can still pilot your drone with the controller only and know how high it is, distance, how much battery life it has and other bits of information that we don't use- until we need it. I had a circumstance just tonight where I didn't have access to my phone while flying but didn't feel blind as I was able to use my controller without stress or worry.

The one thing I never looked into was the Smart Controller. Other than the build in viewing screen, what other features does it have that the M2 or Air2/Mini2 controller lacks?
I've been using the SC on my M2P since day one and still love it. I really hate using a smart phone, in my case an iPhone or an iPad to to fly. With the SC I never have to worry about how bright the sun is. Some people don't like it and would rather use a smart phone

I've been using the SC on my M2P since day one and still love it. I really hate using a smart phone, in my case an iPhone or an iPad to to fly. With the SC I never have to worry about how bright the sun is. Some people don't like it and would rather use a smart phone
Or a CS

What perplexes me about DJI is that a lot of their accessory hardware, Smart Controller, goggles, etc don't accomodate enough models. I'd spend the money for a Smart Controller if it could accommodate my Mavic 2, and Mini 2 and count on it being compatible with future models. Perhaps that's what they're going after with the MA2, Mini 2 and the Air2s using the same controller? Instead of using such a large battery in the MA2 controller, perhaps they might have installed programmable electronics for cross model compatibility? I still think that DJI should have stuck with the smaller, lighter controllers and that the SC should have been made to be universal with DJI products. By now most of you should know how I feel about Chinese corporate culture. JMO

Reactions: Thomas B
I have both controller types. And to me the ergonomics is about equal. The newer controller style is heavier so can support a phone being on top. But the M2 controller, with the phone installed is equally well balances, lighter, and has many more features. The only advantage to the Mini2/Air2 controller is that it has a larger battery. Why is that even needed? I've always had more than enough battery power on my M2 controller to handle multiple flights, even while charging my phone. Additionally the lighter weight of the M2 controller allows me to more comfortably use a lanyard when I need to go hands free so I don't have to set my controller down in the snow or mud. How many hands does it take to put down a landing pad, set your drone on it and hold the controller? If need by the Mavic 2 controller, folded, can fit in my jacket pocket. Can't say the same for the Mini 2 controller. Just sayin'.
How do you hook a lanyard to the controller? An integrate ring behind the antenna would be nice.

I was always a fan of the M1 and M2 controller. I hated the controller for the Air 2, I hated it with the Mini 2 and I still hate it with the Air 2S.
I would buy the Smart Controller without a second thought if it supported all 3 of my DJI models but it doesn't.

How do you hook a lanyard to the controller? An integrate ring behind the antenna would be nice.

There are many ways if you're creative. What I'm doing at this time is using a simple woman's thick elastic hair band, attaching the lanyard directly to it and then stretching it over the face of the controller. It doesn't really block any information there. Sometimes I'll hook it onto one of the arms instead. On my Mini 2 controller, I hook it over both bars that hold the phone. There are so many ways that it can be done, but the elastic band seems to be the easiest and most flexible way. When I get the motivation I'll go search my drawers and find a thicker lanyard. The one pictured is fine when you put it over a jacket collar, but with the warmer weather coming I'll want something wider for contact directly on my skin.

I find in some situations the lanyard essential because it frees up a hand when you need two hands to do stuff without setting the controller down. I suppose I could have a camera bag hanging on my side to park the controller, but the lanyard is more fast and convenient. I sometimes store the controller with the lanyard attached when I know I'll need to be fast getting out of the case and into the air.

1620410567734.png

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929