DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart Controller and Airmap?

I do not have the Smart Controller but I believe that AirMap is not yet easily installed on it. The SDK for the Smart Controller was just released last week so 3rd party apps should become available for it soon.

Either way, AirMap would not perform a zone unlock. In AirMap you can apply for LAANC clearance to fly in restricted airspace, but that has nothing to do with the DJI Geo fencing. You still need to do that either through the DJI website in advance and download the unlock file to your craft, or on-site with self unlock (if available).

Reactions: msinger
Reactions: PhantomFandom
I use AirMap for clearance, most recently yesterday late afternoon. I fly with my CS and controller, but I request LAANC clearance on my phone. Works fine in my most commonly used practice area where I take off a few feet (maybe 50’-100’) inside the NFZs for 2 airports. Never had DJI software stop me from flying my M2P, Spark, or MPP.

I am Part 107 certified. I've not seen an answer to this question, does Airmap work with the Smart Controller? If not, can you get an unlock code from Airmap and apply it to the DJI Go app?

AirMap is s LAANC provider so you can use it to get authorization from the FAA to fly. Once you have the correct “legal” authorization you now have to ask DJI to unlock your drone so that you can use it.

Seems crazy I know but AirMap cannot unlock your drone and DJI cannot provide FAA authorization so this will be a two step process anyway you look at it.

For many sites in the US all that is needed is a self-unlock meaning that DJI isn’t going to be checking your authorization to make sure you have it but they will make note of the time and location of your flight and will verify your identity so that in the case of an incident they will be able to provide your information to the authorities.

Self unlocking can be done on site as long as the SC has internet access. This type of self-unlock will continue for 24 hours at which time the process will need to be repeated.

Alternatively, self unlocking can also be done from a computer through DJI’s flysafe website. (Please note they block mobile platforms from accessing this site so it really must be done from a laptop or desktop computer.) You can unlock a specified area ahead of time so internet access is not required at the time of flight with this method though you must download the self-unlock token to the SC and then to the aircraft within internet access but can be done before hand. This type of self-unlock is good for three days from activation.

More sensitive areas (red zones on the DJI map) May be unlocked but require a “custom unlock”. You’ll need to apply for the custom unlock with DJI and present them with all the proof of authorization for the area. This can take time to implement so plan accordingly well in advance.

You might be able to sideload AirMap but it might not be able to use the location data from the SC I’m not really sure.
All above said by brett8883 is true. I am on the very fringe of 2 NFZs (last 100’ or so). AirMap granted permission to fly for the 90 min I requested via my iPhone at 200’ and below. My M2P, running most current software, just flew as I asked it to. I use a CS controller. NP. Depending on programming you may not need AirMap, or other approval app on your SC. I don’t own the SC, so you’ll just have to try if you don’t want to hack the SC.

AirMap is s LAANC provider so you can use it to get authorization from the FAA to fly. Once you have the correct “legal” authorization you now have to ask DJI to unlock your drone so that you can use it.

Seems crazy I know but AirMap cannot unlock your drone and DJI cannot provide FAA authorization so this will be a two step process anyway you look at it.

For many sites in the US all that is needed is a self-unlock meaning that DJI isn’t going to be checking your authorization to make sure you have it but they will make note of the time and location of your flight and will verify your identity so that in the case of an incident they will be able to provide your information to the authorities.

Self unlocking can be done on site as long as the SC has internet access. This type of self-unlock will continue for 24 hours at which time the process will need to be repeated.

Alternatively, self unlocking can also be done from a computer through DJI’s flysafe website. (Please note they block mobile platforms from accessing this site so it really must be done from a laptop or desktop computer.) You can unlock a specified area ahead of time so internet access is not required at the time of flight with this method though you must download the self-unlock token to the SC and then to the aircraft within internet access but can be done before hand. This type of self-unlock is good for three days from activation.

More sensitive areas (red zones on the DJI map) May be unlocked but require a “custom unlock”. You’ll need to apply for the custom unlock with DJI and present them with all the proof of authorization for the area. This can take time to implement so plan accordingly well in advance.
Thank you for this explanation as it clarifies the steps. Question concerning, "Please note they block mobile platforms from accessing this site so it really must be done from a laptop or desktop computer." Does this mean I cannot use mobile phone as a wireless Hotspot for self unlocking?
Thanks,
Marty

No it is not easily installed and if you try other methods you usually get errors.

Have you noticed that AirMap ( the app the FAA wants part 107 to use) and the go4 app have conflicting info on air classifications? The Go4 was telling me I was on restricted Newark airspace while AirMap had me in unrestricted. It still let me fly. So far..

No it is not easily installed and if you try other methods you usually get errors.

Have you noticed that AirMap ( the app the FAA wants part 107 to use) and the go4 app have conflicting info on air classifications? The Go4 was telling me I was on restricted Newark airspace while AirMap had me in unrestricted. It still let me fly. So far..
Which post or person are you referring to when you say, "it is not easily installed....."?

Thank you for this explanation as it clarifies the steps. Question concerning, "Please note they block mobile platforms from accessing this site so it really must be done from a laptop or desktop computer." Does this mean I cannot use mobile phone as a wireless Hotspot for self unlocking?
Thanks,
Marty

In theory that should work for a 24 hour “instant self-unlock” on site. A 24 hour unlock is done within the DJI Go 4 app and it just is a message that says “you have entered a restricted zone. Do you accept full responsibility for flying in this area?” Something to that effect. There is s tiny little check box that many people struggle to see so if you check the box then you you should be able to fly in the area for 24 hours.

Note: Some low sensitivity areas actually do not require internet access and do not require your identity checked but it’s difficult to determine these locations before hand and so to simply I would advise for your first self-unlock to do this ahead of time through the flysafe website with a desktop or laptop computer within internet access.

To verify your identity DJI will ask for a cell phone number or credit card number to have on file so they can check the name against who the credit card or phone number is registered to. Once this is in file it will make it easier to do the 24 hour unlocks in the field with the hot spot.

As was pointed out if you know you will be flying in a restricted zone before hand it is better to do the 3 day unlock from a laptop or desktop computer. Best to think of the 24 hour unlock as a backup method in case you forget or don’t realize the zone is restricted.

Also as noted above DJIs “geozones” system is of their own design and doesn’t necessarily match up with the FAAs map of controlled airspace or AirMaps. Therefore there maybe instances where FAA authorization is required via LAANC but a DJI unlock is not necessary and vice versa.

Always check both the DJI geozones map within DJI Go 4 or their flysafe website AND something like AirMap or ArcGIS Web Application to avoid surprises especially if flying for a job

Reactions: Thomas B

When you post without referencing what your post is addressing at best it looks like you are replying to the post immediately above yours at worst it looks like a random thought.

For instance at first I thought you were replying to my post which is directly above yours. I now realize that you are replying to the original post.

I thought the initial post was asking if you can download AirMap on yo the smart controller

This looks like a random thought unless you follow the replies that were made to your posts. It just makes your posts easier to follow to hit reply to reply to a post. Does that makes sense?

In theory that should work for a 24 hour “instant self-unlock” on site. A 24 hour unlock is done within the DJI Go 4 app and it just is a message that says “you have entered a restricted zone. Do you accept full responsibility for flying in this area?” Something to that effect. There is s tiny little check box that many people struggle to see so if you check the box then you you should be able to fly in the area for 24 hours.

Note: Some low sensitivity areas actually do not require internet access and do not require your identity checked but it’s difficult to determine these locations before hand and so to simply I would advise for your first self-unlock to do this ahead of time through the flysafe website with a desktop or laptop computer within internet access.

To verify your identity DJI will ask for a cell phone number or credit card number to have on file so they can check the name against who the credit card or phone number is registered to. Once this is in file it will make it easier to do the 24 hour unlocks in the field with the hot spot.

As was pointed out if you know you will be flying in a restricted zone before hand it is better to do the 3 day unlock from a laptop or desktop computer. Best to think of the 24 hour unlock as a backup method in case you forget or don’t realize the zone is restricted.

Also as noted above DJIs “geozones” system is of their own design and doesn’t necessarily match up with the FAAs map of controlled airspace or AirMaps. Therefore there maybe instances where FAA authorization is required via LAANC but a DJI unlock is not necessary and vice versa.

Always check both the DJI geozones map within DJI Go 4 or their flysafe website AND something like AirMap or ArcGIS Web Application to avoid surprises especially if flying for a job
Thanks for clarification(s).
Marty

When you post without referencing what your post is addressing at best it looks like you are replying to the post immediately above yours at worst it looks like a random thought.

For instance at first I thought you were replying to my post which is directly above yours. I now realize that you are replying to the original post.

This looks like a random thought unless you follow the replies that were made to your posts. It just makes your posts easier to follow to hit reply to reply to a post. Does that makes sense?
Actually I think what I said was random because I misunderstood the topic..

Reactions: brett8883

I always use AirMap for LAANC clearance and it is much more straight forward than the DJI app plus is usually instantaneous without a bunch of codes to enter in your drone. Works every time and has FAA NFZs.
Note that I use it on my phone but fly with an SC.
The DJI flight clearance app is approved by FAA, but is still being evaluated. “Approval” is actually the start of a 10 month FAA process which won’t be finalized until August 2019... Maybe their maps will have clarification by then.

I know it has been awhile since there's been an update to this thread, but just following up to see if there has been any updates any of you know about AirMap working with the DJI smart controller now? I have heard that they are supposed to be compatible but I am not finding anything online to back that up.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catalinbbc27