DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart Controller and Google Play

Srcrain

Reactions
Just wondering if any one knows why the smart controller can't load the Google Play services and the Google App store. I have the Moverios where Google can't be loaded and some have suggested that it is a competitive issue, given Google has or wants their own smart glasses that would compete with the Moverios. But why can't the Smart Controller get Google Play? There isn't an obvious competitive issue, and there are literally hundreds (if not thousands) of Android devices that have Google Play. Why not the Smart Controller? This makes no sense to me. Not only will Litchi apparently not work without Google Play, but other good drone apps like Airmap and Wunderground (weather app) don't work without Google Play.

Just wondering if any one knows why the smart controller can't load the Google Play services and the Google App store. I have the Moverios where Google can't be loaded and some have suggested that it is a competitive issue, given Google has or wants their own smart glasses that would compete with the Moverios. But why can't the Smart Controller get Google Play? There isn't an obvious competitive issue, and there are literally hundreds (if not thousands) of Android devices that have Google Play. Why not the Smart Controller? This makes no sense to me. Not only will Litchi apparently not work without Google Play, but other good drone apps like Airmap and Wunderground (weather app) don't work without Google Play.
Im sorry I dont have a very technical answer but the reason you cant use Google Play is because the Smart Controller is using a customized version of the Android OS.

Its not majorly customized but still enough for the 2 OS's to not work 100% compatible.

This is why you 'cant' install a Go4 app apk on the Smart Controller that is meant for the standard Android OS (I said 'cant', but I should've said 'shouldnt'. I say, shouldn't because while it may install, load and 'seem' to work fine, the Google Play Go4 app is different to the Smart Controller Go4, even if only slightly, and indistinguishable thru use or sight of the screen... The differences are all in their coding)

Sorry for that long spiel there.

A GREAT EXAMPLE is the Amazon Fire Tablets. They run a customized, and slimmed down version of Android but there is a method to install Google Play onto those tablets.

If its possible, I expect there will be folks working on making that happen on the Smart Controller BUT I STILL WOULD ADVISE AGAINST THIS. The only reason the Amazon Tablets can run Google Play apps is because its been slimmed down, so there's not much conflicting code. The Smart Controller custom OS isnt likely slimmed down as it needs alot of 'juice' to run the Go4 app, along with its integrated Screen record & HDMI out functionality.

Not very technical I know, and its all just my own opinion but I hope it helps a bit?

I was able to root the CrystalSky and load the Google Play services. I tried with the Smart Controller using the same exploits and couldn't get it to go, hopefully someone a little more technical savvy than me will be able to do it. Unfortunately the Android version is different and it's ARM64 architecture instead of ARM.

Reactions: Techeternal
I was able to root the CrystalSky and load the Google Play services. I tried with the Smart Controller using the same exploits and couldn't get it to go, hopefully someone a little more technical savvy than me will be able to do it. Unfortunately the Android version is different and it's ARM64 architecture instead of ARM.
Im glad to hear that rooting is possible on CS. I do hope to see it done on the Smart RC, although Im not the one that knows how!

Please link to any posts you find regarding rooting methods for both CS and SRC!

can you pls confirm - after you rooted it and installed google maps - does it let go4 app to use it?

Following this... I have a Smart Controller and as I understand it, The version of Nougat is simply not "Google Certified". It may be possible to root it and add Gapps, but I personally am not able to do it... but maybe the guys at XDA have some thoughts?

can you pls confirm - after you rooted it and installed google maps - does it let go4 app to use it?
No the Go 4 app does not utilize Google Maps even though they are installed on the CrystalSky. Other apps do though like Litchi.

Following this... I have a Smart Controller and as I understand it, The version of Nougat is simply not "Google Certified". It may be possible to root it and add Gapps, but I personally am not able to do it... but maybe the guys at XDA have some thoughts?
I was hoping to see something from XDA or Lordroot (the guy that did the CrystalSky exploit) but nothing yet.

Reactions: chuck1026 and ff22
I stumbled upon a way to make the Google Play Store and apps work on the DJI Smart Controller. So far a few people over at DJI Forums have tried it and it seems to be working. Here the link to the tutorial I created:

Feel free to drop me a line and let me know how it was for you!
Thanks for posting, I linked your page to another thread on the forum HERE yesterday, your process looks easier than the method I used, I will give it a shot if I have to re-install the Google Play services again.

Reactions: chuck1026 and ff22
I stumbled upon a way to make the Google Play Store and apps work on the DJI Smart Controller. So far a few people over at DJI Forums have tried it and it seems to be working. Here the link to the tutorial I created:

Feel free to drop me a line and let me know how it was for you!
It is working for me - so far!

Reactions: Sergio Espinoza
It is working for me - so far!
Should continue to work, I've had it on for weeks even through a firmware update, and it's kept working like a champ.

Reactions: ff22
Should continue to work, I've had it on for weeks even through a firmware update, and it's kept working like a champ.
That's good to hear. I did wonder if a firmware update might wipe it out or break it in some fashion. I installed over the existing setup which included a few already added 3rd party apps as well as an earlier attempt to merely install the Playstore.

That's good to hear. I did wonder if a firmware update might wipe it out or break it in some fashion. I installed over the existing setup which included a few already added 3rd party apps as well as an earlier attempt to merely install the Playstore.

I'll reply to myself!

I do suspect that the Smart Controller does report back to DJI various aspects of the SC and one of those reports might be what is installed on the SC. Hopefully, DJI or China does not find installing Google an issue.

Also with Google, hopefully, they don't react to all Chinese manufactured goods like they have with Huawei

I'll reply to myself!

I do suspect that the Smart Controller does report back to DJI various aspects of the SC and one of those reports might be what is installed on the SC. Hopefully, DJI or China does not find installing Google an issue.

Also with Google, hopefully, they don't react to all Chinese manufactured goods like they have with Huawei

Fingers crossed! ??

The SC probably does send data back however I don't think DJI would go to great lengths to prevent this especially in the American market.

I understand the US banning DJI drones from military operations but the data that DJI is collecting from an average user doesn't seem that it would be that threatening national security.

The SC probably does send data back however I don't think DJI would go to great lengths to prevent this especially in the American market.

I understand the US banning DJI drones from military operations but the data that DJI is collecting from an average user doesn't seem that it would be that threatening national security.
As Tango India said: "fingers crossed."

We are cursed by living in interesting times!

Reactions: Sergio Espinoza
As Tango India said: "fingers crossed."

We are cursed by living in interesting times!

I guess stakes emulate cold war times ??‍♂️ as we pawns of the world hold our breath waiting for an outcome... LOL... ok, lets loose the dramatic vibe... and rename it fortune cookie war! ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djiNonMini