DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart controller in Authorization zones help

tvleaker

Reactions
I do corporate real estate videos for a Big company. I have multiple Mavics including Pro 2, Air 2 and Air2S. I bought a smart controller because my iPhone always dims outside while flying. Ran into a problem I couldn't solve. Smart controller and MAvic Air 2 had no issues first few times out. I had property near a rural airport and it would not take off due to being in an authorization zone. In the past. I would request authorization and they would text me a code and off I went. But when trying to request authorization I would get a "connection required" alert. could not get authorization. scrubbed flight that day. I researched smart controller does not connect anywhere, would not recognize my iPhone iOS as it's android. I went back out to fly taking my mobile hotspot. It found it and I was able to get authorization code, but then it would not let me fly saying I was not signed on. since I am not using the fly app how the heck do I sign on. Fortunately I brought back up drones and got my shots, but I need some help on how to sign on with the Smart controller.

Robert

I flew once in a DJI Geofenced Authorization Zone. I fly with the Smart Controller and the Mavic Air 2. IIRC, I was able to do a self unlock (blue zone) through the self unlock website. I then did have to connect my Smart Controller to Wifi. I also then had to turn on the drone and download the flight license to the drone. I did have trouble doing this because all of the online instructions are providing steps for the DJI GO app where the Smart Controller uses the DJI Fly app. I did find the section finally (and have a thread about it here). I did all of this before I got out into the field. I would think as long as you can connect the controller to Wifi, you should be good to go.

I flew once in a DJI Geofenced Authorization Zone. I fly with the Smart Controller and the Mavic Air 2. IIRC, I was able to do a self unlock (blue zone) through the self unlock website. I then did have to connect my Smart Controller to Wifi. I also then had to turn on the drone and download the flight license to the drone. I did have trouble doing this because all of the online instructions are providing steps for the DJI GO app where the Smart Controller uses the DJI Fly app. I did find the section finally (and have a thread about it here). I did all of this before I got out into the field. I would think as long as you can connect the controller to Wifi, you should be good to go.
Not sure if it helps but I had a similar issue and was disconnected from wifi and when my warnings came up on the SC I clicked cancel and had no problem.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato