DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart Controller in the Wilderness...

Amir91

Reactions
Hey guys,

I'm planning to use the Mavic 2 Pro + Smart Controller in the middle of nowhere, where I basically won't have any phone signal.

I've heard that without signal you won't have access to the map.

I'm just wondering:

1. Would the GPS still work?
2. Would Return to Home still work?
3. Has anyone had any experience flying with no phone signal?

Many thanks in advance for advice/replies

You will be absolutely fine.

There is GPS in the Smart Controller so GPS will still work
Return from home will still work
Lots of peeps fly without phone signal me included.

One thing I would say though, is that you should boot up your AC asap and allow it time to connect to as many GPS satellites as possible seeing as you will be out in the wilderness. You will be able to clearly see how many you are connected to on your OSD. Also you can cache pre-load the map of the area you will be flying in using the wifi connection on your smart controller when you are at home or through a hotspot using your mobile device. Then you get everything you need for safest flight possible.

Have fun!

Last edited:
Reactions: 747P4 and ff22
You will be absolutely fine.

There is GPS in the Smart Controller so GPS will still work
Return from home will still work
Lots of peeps fly without phone signal me included.

One thing I would say though, is that you should boot up your AC asap and allow it time to connect to as many GPS satellites as possible seeing as you will be out in the wilderness. You will be able to clearly see how many you are connected to on your OSD. Also you can cache pre-load the map of the area you will be flying in using the wifi connection on your smart controller when you are at home or through a hotspot using your mobile device. Then you get everything you need for safest flight possible.

Have fun!

Thanks man,

Will be in the plains of Mongolia so will try to cache the maps, but I have a feeling it'll be a little too much ground to cover. Will just stick to the line of sight rule probably :)

Thanks man,

Will be in the plains of Mongolia so will try to cache the maps, but I have a feeling it'll be a little too much ground to cover. Will just stick to the line of sight rule probably :)
Wow now that's a location and a half!

I hope you might share some of the footage and photos if you are that way inclined. Plus I am sure that you could probably find some app that would allow you to have a large map in memory.

Hope its a great success!

Thanks man,

So SOLAR recharging of everything? Hopefully, even caching offline, there are maps of that area. Sounds great have fun.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki