DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart Controller & Maps ?

OK, I figured it out from your suggestion.

Actually, after opening up the Go4 app, I selected the little "hamburger" on the upper right.

From there, select "Offline map". Then on the next screen, touch the icon in the upper right which looks like a pencil writing on a map. Then you can see the list of offline maps downloaded.

FYI, as a bonus, I discovered once you're looking at the list of offline maps, touch and hold one and the "Delete" and "Rename" options will appear!
Thank you for you bonus tip! I had touched ("clicked") the name of the offline map but nothing happened. It's all about holding on it for bit and then the delete/rename dialog comes up. Thanks!!

Reactions: ff22
If anyone is desperate for internet and for some reason doesnt want to tether just put a USB 4G internet stuck and sim card into the SC. It works well enough.

Reactions: Drone Shot
Sorry, it just seems that the SC should be an improvement, which I would think means it should be able to store the additional information (hybrid map instead of a basic map) ahead of time as a download/save. For now, gotta tether.

Sorry, it just seems that the SC should be an improvement, which I would think means it should be able to store the additional information (hybrid map instead of a basic map) ahead of time as a download/save. For now, gotta tether.

That might be a restriction of MapBox not Go4. They might control the map types that are available for offline use like Google does.
Ive never really looked - i find the map display fairly useless and use the radar 100% of the time but then again ive never tried a waypoints flight.

This has absolutely nothing to do with Android and Apple, just so you're aware :) Once you're in the Go4 app it's all DJI.
Untrue. Go4 on iOS has a convenient map caching feature that just caches all types of maps, standard, sattelite, Hybrid. Go4 on Android is way more laborious.
DJI obviously avoid paying maps license to Google. Go4 in iOS caches Apple maps.

Untrue. Go4 on iOS has a convenient map caching feature that just caches all types of maps, standard, sattelite, Hybrid. Go4 on Android is way more laborious.
DJI obviously avoid paying maps license to Google. Go4 in iOS caches Apple maps.

You took my comment out of context, but regardless, caching maps on Android is very easy to do. My SC even does it automatically, and that's running Android.

Not to mention in iOS, map caching in Go is volatile. If you shut down the app, the cache is gone.
Go map cache on Androidis non-volatile. It doesn't go away even if you power off the Android.
What do you mean by shutting down the app?

You took my comment out of context, but regardless, caching maps on Android is very easy to do. My SC even does it automatically, and that's running Android.
Sorry for pulling your comment out of context. This sounds like there is another way caching maps without using the known download function of map tiles. Would you mind explaining what exactly you mean with you comment that your SC does map caching automatically?

Sorry for pulling your comment out of context. This sounds like there is another way caching maps without using the known download function of map tiles. Would you mind explaining what exactly you mean with you comment that your SC does map caching automatically?

When I fly with the SC in areas where I do not have cellular coverage (I use my phone as a data hotspot for the SC), it still shows the map overlay. It surprised me at first, but it's doing some sort of caching automatically as I have never been to that particular location before. I had the same in Iceland - I did not have cellular service everywhere I flew, but the SC still had the proper map overlay. I am not sure exactly how it's doing it, but it is.

When I fly with the SC in areas where I do not have cellular coverage (I use my phone as a data hotspot for the SC), it still shows the map overlay. It surprised me at first, but it's doing some sort of caching automatically as I have never been to that particular location before. I had the same in Iceland - I did not have cellular service everywhere I flew, but the SC still had the proper map overlay. I am not sure exactly how it's doing it, but it is.
I‘ve tried to reproduce what you‘ve experienced. It really works that Go4 on the SC is caching all three types of maps by scrolling the map around the desired area with WiFi enabled. After I‘ve turned of WiFi I was still able to see the map tiles where I‘ve scrolled over previously. That is really amazing. That makes the download function of map tiles (no sat) in the Go4 main menu kinda obsolete. Go4 on the SC now feels a step closer to the Go4 on iOS ?

What do you mean by shutting down the app?
In Android, you hit Back button until it says "hit back again to exit". However app really hasn't stopped. Next step is to hit the app list button and swipe Go out.
IOS is similar. If you've never shut down running apps, you really should learn how to. Too many apps running unneededly will slow your system down or at least drain you battery faster.
I'm sorry if this is condescending but I often see people's phones with 20 apps running because they have no idea they are still running. Also they have tons of notifications they haven't cleared.

That article switches from implying they are talking about normal close (swiping away an app) to force close. They are two different procedures.

I can tell you it isn't true that Android completely suspends the app when not in the foreground. Go for example really should not as it might still be controlling your quad.
Lately Dunkin Donuts app started showing notifications about location, even when I swiped it away. Only if I force close does it stop, and doesn't start until I use the app.

Also rebooting an Android tends to improve its behavior, although I noticed Android tends to restore apps to running when back up.

I think I'm smarter now. Recently traveled to Ireland from US with my Air 2S. Disappointed that I didn't have maps on SC like in US. So if my phone was hotspot I would have had maps?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman