DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart Controller Offline Maps - WITH Fly App?

s2seyecle

Reactions
Now that I've finally gotten a new MA2 AND the Smart Controller I want to fly in an area with no WiFi connection (for acquiring maps). It's remote, so mapping is bordering on a necessity :)

My other quad was an Mavic Pro which ran on Go 4 WITH the ability to d/l maps before venturing out. DJI apparently saw fit to denude the Fly App of that capability.

I've seen posts and (very poorly created) YouTube Toots that suggest opening Fly from a location with WiFi, finding a flying location of the map, then, without turning the Controller off, drive to the desired filming location.

After a long drive I suppose the batteries might be low, so maybe I should connect them to a charger to maintain charge, but S&*t that seems like a lot to go thru!

Does anyone have a better work around? (BTW, I know that I can d/l google maps to the controller, but the Fly app doesn't use it and it seems worthless, especially if there's a lost MA2 to be located.)

Caching and leaving it on in sleep seems to be the only option I can think of.

Many seem to like, even prefer Fly over Go, but I don't understand why. So much is missing from Fly. That may be fine for the Minis, but it's a downgrade for the MA2 compared to the MA1.

Reactions: s2seyecle
Caching and leaving it on in sleep seems to be the only option I can think of.

Many seem to like, even prefer Fly over Go, but I don't understand why. So much is missing from Fly. That may be fine for the Minis, but it's a downgrade for the MA2 compared to the MA1.
Agree without hesitation. Go4 is a monster sized App with capabilities to go with it. Much rather have all the features to choose from, over begging for upgrades to Fly :)

Now that I've finally gotten a new MA2 AND the Smart Controller I want to fly in an area with no WiFi connection (for acquiring maps). It's remote, so mapping is bordering on a necessity :)

My other quad was an Mavic Pro which ran on Go 4 WITH the ability to d/l maps before venturing out. DJI apparently saw fit to denude the Fly App of that capability.

I've seen posts and (very poorly created) YouTube Toots that suggest opening Fly from a location with WiFi, finding a flying location of the map, then, without turning the Controller off, drive to the desired filming location.

After a long drive I suppose the batteries might be low, so maybe I should connect them to a charger to maintain charge, but S&*t that seems like a lot to go thru!

Does anyone have a better work around? (BTW, I know that I can d/l google maps to the controller, but the Fly app doesn't use it and it seems worthless, especially if there's a lost MA2 to be located.)
Seems you are correct that MavA2 with smart controller can not d/l maps with DJI FLY and of course can not use Go 4 at all. Not too good!

Hey guys I'm facing the same issue. Hopefully there is a DJI rep reading this post as we speak and submit a request for another firmware upgrade!! Wishful thinking.

Im using phone as wifi hotspot but i would prefer having maps on my smart controller
Yep... one of the reasons to purchase the SC was to avoid any dependence on a phone for connection or "services" to the aircraft. (not to mention having to pay extra for hotspot service...my carrier charges $15-$20, depending on a plan. Seems like a lot just to get a map)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent