DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart Controller Screen Brightness - Low Light

Citizen Flier

Reactions
The Smart Controller has a Screen Brightness slider -which I leave at 50%. (default?) I find the screen to be a very accurate representation of my image exposures in brighter (mid day) light. But in low light -dawn/dusk- my images appear significantly darker on the computer than they did on the SC at time of capture. This discrepancy ONLY occurs in low light. I have posted about this before and got some useful feedback (mostly about using histogram etc). But over time I am convinced that there is an exposure curve wherein the SC Screen appears far brighter in shadow detail than the images captured -ONLY in low light.

I have now set my Screen Brightness to 35, which seems to more closely display low light scenes. But I'm still not fully satisfied. My computer monitor has been accurately calibrated and my on screen images and printed output are pretty closely in sync. I do understand the value of histograms. But as a visual artist used to working on well calibrated monitors, I am used to having an accurate preview of how my RAW images will look in post. Even my Canon DSLR gives a fairly close preview of how my images will appear in in PShop. So I'm fairly well convinced this is achievable device to device.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this phenomenon -again, low light only. What brightness setting are you using on the SC? Anyone discover a method for getting closer representation of the SC Screen in low light? Thanks.

Always use 100% brightness. Allows viewing screen accurately in bright sunlight without a sunshade. Also pumps brightness at dusk and twilight. Shooting RAW files in low light and amplifying the shadow/low levels is a good indication of the potential to render detail. RAW images are meant to be post processed not displayed as is. Shoot jpegs if you want to display wit little or no post processing.

Always use 100% brightness. Allows viewing screen accurately in bright sunlight without a sunshade. Also pumps brightness at dusk and twilight. Shooting RAW files in low light and amplifying the shadow/low levels is a good indication of the potential to render detail. RAW images are meant to be post processed not displayed as is. Shoot jpegs if you want to display wit little or no post processing.

I don't agree. Just because you have 2-3+ stops of latitude in RAW, doesn't mean you want to push it that far. Especially with a 1" sensor, you'll get grainy results. I NEVER shoot JPG, and as a pro retoucher, I enhance every image in post. But the goal is to start with as close to a correct exposure as possible, bracketing as necessary.

The point of my post is that I would like to have the SC screen preview be about as accurate as my DSLR -which may not be possible. I bracket my images, exposing for HL's and have a range of exposures for shads etc. But I always try to get as close as possible overall. As mentioned above, the SC preview is very accurate in bright light. My sole concern is that the preview can be 3 stops brighter in LOW LIGHT. THAT discrepancy is what I would like to minimize.

I understand about Histograms, and raw processing. My computer monitor is properly calibrated & balanced. My DSLR preview is fairly accurate, as is my higher end compact cam. I would just like to get close to that preview accuracy with the Smart Controller IN LOW LIGHT.

x
I'd like my Ford Focus to be as fast and nimble as my Bullitt Mustang. ☺
I think you have it backwards, the Smart Controller IS the Mustang. SC came out around 2018, has a 5.5" screen and is a sophisticated device. My Canon 7DII is also a sophisticated device -but with a 3" screen, and 2013 technology. As stated before, the SC has a VERY accurate preview. The discrepancy is ONLY with LOW LIGHT IMAGES. A legitimate issue as most landscape shooters choose dusk/dawn for best lighting.

Here are 2 images as they appear on the Smart Controller & in Adobe Bridge. One shot was captured mid day, the other at dusk. I took snapshots of the SC screen & my Apple monitor. I corrected one shot slightly to more accurately represent how the image appeared on the SC screen. The mid day image is fairly close in Bridge and on the SC. The sunset scene is far darker in bridge than on the SC. I thought the issue might be in Bridge, but I DON"T get a similar variation in DSLR images. The iPhone didn't do well with color temp. But I'm only comparing apparent luminance.
Once again, this is simply to show how the Smart Controller doesn't accurately display low light images as well as it does images captures in bright light.
IMG_4278.jpgIMG_4279.jpgIMG_4280.jpgIMG_4281.jpg

x

I think you have it backwards, the Smart Controller IS the Mustang. SC came out around 2018, has a 5.5" screen and is a sophisticated device. My Canon 7DII is also a sophisticated device -but with a 3" screen, and 2013 technology. As stated before, the SC has a VERY accurate preview. The discrepancy is ONLY with LOW LIGHT IMAGES. A legitimate issue as most landscape shooters choose dusk/dawn for best lighting.
I wasn't talking about the screen sizes. Was referring to the sensor size and resulting resolution in which the Canon is superior. As for wanting the exact same view on all your screens that may not be possible. To me it's only important what the final result is. Doesn't matter if I use the Mavic Pro2 or my Olympus DSLR EM-1 as post processing allows for the final result.

Sorry we misunderstand each other. I've been an active photographer for over 50 years. I look for the best equipment* that suits my purposes and then edit the images for final presentation.
* I did have a Nikon D800 but downsized to the Olympus as the weight was cut in half without compromising quality. I do print poster size and the Olympus allows me to continue long hikes and exploring foreign lands (at least before Covid-19).

The issue is not sensor size. The issue has nothing to do with the aircraft camera. I am ONLY referring to the discrepancy between images captured in bright light vs low light, and how they are displayed on the Smart Controller Screen.

Just got the smart controller for the HDMI out to stream live when needed like I can with the P4P HDMI out. Have been using the regular RC(s) with ipad with P4P and M2P, I shoot a lot of low light. Did some practice and agree with you 150%, seems like in low light the actual images DNG or JPG are 2-4 stops darker than what is displayed on the smart controller :( really sucks because now Im shooting almost blind and hoping to be able to get close in post, not really happy, probably wont use the SC unless Im streaming from the M2P. frustrating...

Just got the smart controller for the HDMI out to stream live when needed like I can with the P4P HDMI out. Have been using the regular RC(s) with ipad with P4P and M2P, I shoot a lot of low light. Did some practice and agree with you 150%, seems like in low light the actual images DNG or JPG are 2-4 stops darker than what is displayed on the smart controller :( really sucks because now Im shooting almost blind and hoping to be able to get close in post, not really happy, probably wont use the SC unless Im streaming from the M2P. frustrating...
My Canon DSLR gives me a very accurate display of what I just captured -even in low light. The SC has a light boost to make it more visible in bright sun. You can adjust that brightness. You can also display the Histogram & train yourself to read it properly. The pros always consult the histogram.

Take the drone rig to a low light situation. Bring your land camera -shoot the same scene at the same settings & compare. In daylight, they'll be pretty close. They'll diverge in low light. Might be able to VISUALLY compensate with practice.

With the current state of the world, having the SC not perform perfectly in low light will not be fatal!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000