DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart controller versus Tablet

I fly a MM1 with my Galxaxy s20fe. I also fly a MA2 with the SC. I love my galaxy phone and have never had an issue, but if tomorrow dji announced MM2 and SC compatability, I'd probably order a MM2. The SC is more convenient, it's far more simple and it just works really well. The screen is easier to see than my phone. It gets me into the air much faster. The ONLY thing I wish dji would add to the SC is the ability to install a sim card and have local data on the SC as its basically just an integrated tablet and RC.

I have never regretted getting the Smart Controller to fly my MA2. Expensive? Yes but lovely bright screen and although I have no personal experience of a tablet/DJI Controller combination, it looks very top heavy to me. What do you guys think?

Yes but it is very heavy, very thick and is Android. Seems to be identical to the Tripltek Pro for a nice amount less.
Not Android which is why you need an Android or iOS device to drive it. Miracast and similar work, as does SC through HDMI instead of Miracast.

The new Apple iPad Pro 12.9, that was announced yesterday, has me thinking hard. At age 69, small screens are not as enjoyable as the larger ones. I have the Crystalsky 7.85 High Brightness and love it. Need something to fly the Mavic Air2 and Air 2S. Watched and read comments on the Smart Controller and majority say that it is old technology, problems with transmission, screen freezing, lost connections, etc. Yes it has a 1000 nit screen but no bigger than my phone. At my age, I can’t wait on new version of the Smart Controller. The new iPad Pro 12.9 has a new 1600 nit screen and it only weighs 1.5 lbs. Plus you can use it for other uses when you are not flying. As for setup speed, I’m retired and have the time to spend an extra 40 seconds to get the drone flying. Going to order the NEW iPad Pro 12.9 with the 1600 nit brightness.

Freeworld monitor is not an Android device. It is just a monitor, you can not download the DJI APP nor any APP or touch the screen to change any settings on the APP, it is just a display that receives the signal through hdmi from the SC, and it is pain because you also have to carry separated batteries for it.
I can take a lot of pain for 2200 nits in the Australian sun.

Reactions: John G.
I can take a lot of pain for 2200 nits in the Australian sun.
I check mine with a nits meter and it is about 1500-1600 nits when is connected with a power adapter to an outlet, and at this brightness, it gets hot in less than 1 minute. The brightness running on batteries is between 1000-1200 nits

I check mine with a nits meter and it is about 1500-1600 nits when is connected with a power adapter to an outlet, and at this brightness, it gets hot in less than 1 minute. The brightness running on batteries is between 1000-1200 nits
Yes, it does get very warm, but it doesn’t seem to affect performance.

The new Apple iPad Pro 12.9, that was announced yesterday, has me thinking hard. At age 69, small screens are not as enjoyable as the larger ones. I have the Crystalsky 7.85 High Brightness and love it. Need something to fly the Mavic Air2 and Air 2S. Watched and read comments on the Smart Controller and majority say that it is old technology, problems with transmission, screen freezing, lost connections, etc. Yes it has a 1000 nit screen but no bigger than my phone. At my age, I can’t wait on new version of the Smart Controller. The new iPad Pro 12.9 has a new 1600 nit screen and it only weighs 1.5 lbs. Plus you can use it for other uses when you are not flying. As for setup speed, I’m retired and have the time to spend an extra 40 seconds to get the drone flying. Going to order the NEW iPad Pro 12.9 with the 1600 nit brightness.

Read the specs carefully. It’s 1000 nits. 1600 nits is PEAK IN HDR. I doubt DJI apps will make use of hdr. Also you should first test holding a 12.9” 1.5lb screen on the top of your remote. I have an 11” iPad Pro and found it quite difficult to use with a DJI remote even when I could see it. [emoji4] You might also want to check out the Tripltek tablet.

First off, you can pick up a used SC for a much better price than new. We choose screens not for price but ability to be able to see it in bright sunlight. Any cheap tablet or phone looks great in a darkened room but we don't fly from such places.

Then there is the amount of extra stuff to carry and plug in each time you want to go flying. If you choose a tablet that won't fit in the control holder arms then you also have to buy and fit the adapter to hold your tablet plus fit the tablet into that adapter.

So take all that into account when comparing a SC with a tablet. No tablet can stand up to the screen brightness and ease of use and no cable connection and no adapter to fit and hold it, when compared to a SC. Therefore, it is a No Contest sort of comparison and rather pointless.
I haven't seen any smart controllers on ebay or amazon that are a lot cheaper than new. Most of what I've seen are around $50 bucks cheaper. I'd love to have one but I can't justify a controller that costs almost as much as I paid for my entire fly more kit. I'd love to find an alternative but even those are in the $600 range.

Take a look at this video of the new iPad 12 PRO brightness

Take a look at this video of the new iPad 12 PRO brightness

Considering it's STARTING AT $1100 bucks it should also buy you dinner and pay for a fun night in a hotel. Has anyone tested DJI apps on one? I have an iPad Air and that's a bit weighty, wondering how this feels attached to the top of your controller.

Considering it's STARTING AT $1100 bucks it should also buy you dinner and pay for a fun night in a hotel. Has anyone tested DJI apps on one? I have an iPad Air and that's a bit weighty, wondering how this feels attached to the top of your controller.
I’ve used DJI Fly on my generation 2 iPad Pro (12.9in). No issues with software, but even with the LifThor mount, it’s a bit unwieldy. The latest iPad Pro is obviously better on paper, but I assume that like most tablets and phones, it would throttle back the brightness if it became hot.

I am wishing that the Smart Controller supported more 3rd party apps. Looking at going 107 and using Drone Deploy, it appears I would need to get a "regular" controller to fly those missions with.

Great responses everyone, I use the Ipad mini 5 and while it works pretty well for me, the use of use and convenience of the SC really sound good. Cant use one with the mini2 just yet but hopefully when I can upgrade the SC will have been upgraded as well.

When it comes to what controller I prefer, I have a foot in both camps. I previously used my Android phone with my M2P Controller; as my Gen 2 Apple iPad was not compatible with the DJI GO 4 app. Then one day my phone ran hot and the GO 4 app kept freezing while my drone was still flying, which really freaked me out. Soon after, and not wishing to have that experience again, I bought the Smart Controller (SC) which as others have already discussed now enables me to get into the air far quicker, is more convenient (no cable connection issues), has a bigger brighter screen than my phone; plus I have never experienced that freezing issue again.

Last year when my old iPad finally needed to be retired I replaced it with an iPad mini, and now I also use that with the original M2P controller as a Secondary Controller to the SC. The iPad allows me to run any Apple-only drone apps that the SC cannot. I run this Secondary Controller setup as a “fail-safe” which can take over in case there are issues while I am flying with the Primary; plus it can be used by a photographer or other interested parties while the pilot in charge uses the SC to focus on flying the drone. I have also used this setup to introduce new users to flying a drone, allowing a trainee to use the Secondary Controller to get a feel for the drone while the Primary Controller can be used to immediately take control back when the need arises.

In summary, I do like the bigger screen when using an iPad with the controller (versus a phone), but I much prefer to use the SC for its convenience and reliability.
Isn't that Smart Controller like $1200?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Distantdoc