DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart Controller will NOT link to Pro 2 after firmware update HELP!!

Try linking without an SD card installed on the AC. This was mainly the cause/fix on an MM but might also be the case with M2.
Also try without SD on controller.

Reactions: Thomas B
Start aircraft and pull the battery out without turning aircraft off.

then try to link.

Thanks...will try the battery pull / power-on tip next. This all started when I updated my Smart Controller to .650 firmware. Ugh. I've already reverted firmware on SC and AC and still can't link. Upgraded firmware on AC now to most current (for all batteries) then will try the new relink tricks. Update on this thread soon. Thanks for all the help!

Okay...tried the battery pull idea. I turned on Mavic Pro 2, pulled the batter then put it back in...still did not link after redoing relinking from Smart Controller. No SD cards in either device by the way. SC and AC are both running most current firmware for each. .650 for Smart Controller and .510 for Mavic Pro 2.

Blowing my mind that there isn't some other way to link drone and controller. I've done everything listed in the manual and seen/read/watched online. Totally stuck. Thanks for any help.

Okay...tried the battery pull idea. I turned on Mavic Pro 2, pulled the batter then put it back in...still did not link after redoing relinking from Smart Controller. No SD cards in either device by the way. SC and AC are both running most current firmware for each. .650 for Smart Controller and .510 for Mavic Pro 2.

Blowing my mind that there isn't some other way to link drone and controller. I've done everything listed in the manual and seen/read/watched online. Totally stuck. Thanks for any help.

I had the same issue with my M2ED today. I had to do the battery trick twice to make it work today!

I had the same issue with my M2ED today. I had to do the battery trick twice to make it work today!
Okay, can you walk me through the exact process you're doing with the battery? I'm turning on the drone, then the SC...pulling the battery, then putting it back in and once the drone boots up, I try to link and all I get is my SM beeping and the red light staying red on the drone.

Okay, can you walk me through the exact process you're doing with the battery? I'm turning on the drone, then the SC...pulling the battery, then putting it back in and once the drone boots up, I try to link and all I get is my SM beeping and the red light staying red on the drone.
there was something about mavic mini getting into limbo state and not linking if controller was set to manual wifi mode with all the way to the right freq area selected.
first thing to do - i would reflash both smart controller and the drone, again. during re-flash make sure to pull sd cards out of them both.

before doing re-flash of the smart controller - reset it to the factory settings. make sure the developer mode is disabled.

then after forced re-flash try to play with wifi mode settings, force 2.4 or 5ghz modes, try to alter something to see if that helps. it seems to be something new, unfortunately.

just to make sure - you do try to link it using 'Settings' SC function 'Switch Aircraft', right?

there was something about mavic mini getting into limbo state and not linking if controller was set to manual wifi mode with all the way to the right freq area selected.
first thing to do - i would reflash both smart controller and the drone, again. during re-flash make sure to pull sd cards out of them both.

before doing re-flash of the smart controller - reset it to the factory settings. make sure the developer mode is disabled.

then after forced re-flash try to play with wifi mode settings, force 2.4 or 5ghz modes, try to alter something to see if that helps. it seems to be something new, unfortunately.
Thank you for the suggestions! I got on the phone with DJI today and they think the drone is bad. We tried a lot of different things with them on the phone and none worked. Luckily, I was just inside of my one-year so I'm shipping it in to be replaced. Appreciate the help.

Reactions: Gindra
Thank you for the suggestions! I got on the phone with DJI today and they think the drone is bad. We tried a lot of different things with them on the phone and none worked. Luckily, I was just inside of my one-year so I'm shipping it in to be replaced. Appreciate the help.
highly unlikely for drone to get 'bad', but, all is possible. it is not uncommon for upgrade process to fail on some modules, therefore it is just a safe practice to always do same upgrade process twice.

but, again, what do you see in the 'switch aircraft' menu? try to delete old model from it and re-add it, does it do anyting? SC upgrades are the worst, i do not touch mine now for quite a long time, i think since .400 got out, and have no intention of ever upgrading it again, to be honest. just keep it not connected to internet at all times, it is safer.

Last edited:
highly unlikely for drove to get 'bad', but, all is possible. it is not uncommon for upgrade process to fail on some modules, therefore it is just a safe practice to always do same upgrade process twice.

but, again, what do you see in the 'switch aircraft' menu? try to delete old model from it and re-add it, does it do anyting? SC upgrades are the worst, i do not touch mine now for quite a long time, i think since .510 got out, and have no intention of ever upgrading it again, to be honest.
I hear you on the SC upgrade. Total nightmare. Ok...so when I just went back to my SC to check on adding a new device...I don't have ANY device on there. It doesn't see my drone. Under Aircraft Management, it just has a "plus" sign and says "add device". When I try to add the Mavic 2 Pro it begins linking beeping and then when I push the link button on the drone...same issue...nothing happens. Now I'm worried that maybe my SC isn't set up right. UGH!!!

so, do a full factory reset on the SC first, make sure to pull out SD card before that. then perform upgrade of SC to requires version of firmware. then try again.

factory reset - settings gearbox press - scroll to 'personal - 'factory data reset' item.

i do not recall anymore if you have to activate SC prior to linking or not, it was a long time ago.

so, do a full factory reset on the SC first, make sure to pull out SD card before that. then perform upgrade of SC to requires version of firmware. then try again.

factory reset - settings gearbox press - scroll to 'personal - 'factory data reset' item.

i do not recall anymore if you have to activate SC prior to linking or not, it was a long time ago.
Will try now. When I just looked at "switch aircraft"...it doesn't see ANY aircraft (which is obviously the problem). I'll give it one more try. Thank you!

Will try now. When I just looked at "switch aircraft"...it doesn't see ANY aircraft (which is obviously the problem). I'll give it one more try. Thank you!
i just looked, my SC is on .530. latest is .650 - after factory reset i would recommend setting it on the .530 version, as honestly i see nothing critical in the .650.

i just looked, my SC is on .530. latest is .650 - after factory reset i would recommend setting it on the .530 version, as honestly i see nothing critical in the .650.
After factory reset, do I need to do anything to help it BEFORE I try to link? I'm logged into GO4 and it sees me but the drone isn't showing up under equipment.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54