DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart Controller

Jaldrich

Reactions
I’m looking at purchasing the smart controller $749 (usd). I’ve seen a few threads here in there about how the MA2 is not correctly orientated when using this controller.

Is this just a bad batch of some or does all MA2 users experience this? Or has it been fixed in this is just a mute issue?

The problem I have with using my cell phone is that I fly in some areas that have little to no cell phone coverage so I’m worried that I won’t be able to use my GPS in those areas. Also being a single father of five kids that All have cell phones my bill is pretty high if I decide to get a iPad mini five and then have to throw that on a cell plan.

Thank you for reading and I hope y’all have a great weekend.

I’m looking at purchasing the smart controller $749 (usd). I’ve seen a few threads here in there about how the MA2 is not correctly orientated when using this controller.

Is this just a bad batch of some or does all MA2 users experience this? Or has it been fixed in this is just a mute issue?

The problem I have with using my cell phone is that I fly in some areas that have little to no cell phone coverage so I’m worried that I won’t be able to use my GPS in those areas. Also being a single father of five kids that All have cell phones my bill is pretty high if I decide to get a iPad mini five and then have to throw that on a cell plan.

For the record GPS has absolutely nothing to do with cell coverage. It is satellites in earth orbit if you can see the sky then GPS "sees" you ;) I use a iPad Pro to fly...it has no cell service...GPS works regardless. :)

Last edited:

We use the Smart Controller , never had any issues with flying thus far.
The only things were seeing is that the Software Program Air Data does not have a good working Profile for the AIr 2 just the Mini.

Maybe you can post a thread on one of the issues on the Smart Controller with the Air 2

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 in the Rain and Float on water.

For the record GPS has absolutely nothing to do with cell coverage. It is satellites in earth orbit if you can see the sky then GPS "sees" you ;) I use a iPad Pro to fly...it has no cell service...GPS works regardless. :)

Thank you for the response and I’ll have to look in to that then. It’s crazy there’s so many threads out there some of them say you have to have cellular service activated with an iPad for it to work and some so you don’t it’s so hard trying to figure out what is and what isn’t but thank you very much for your response in for the YouTube link!!!!!

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
some of them say you have to have cellular service activated with an iPad for it to work

Be sure to get the iPad that has the ability of cell service if you want GPS.

The WiFi only models do not have a GPS chip, but they do have a compass.

It'll tell you which way you are pointing, but not where you're at on the planet.

I've flown with my WiFi mini4 for over three years and haven't had a need for GPS.

The need for GPS is to "Find my drone" or resetting the Home Point to you if you moved from the original launch point.

I have been running my 5th Gen iPad for the past week...It is the WIFI only version but works ok. The screen brightness is lacking though. I downloaded google maps for use off line for my area so that works too.

I just received my Asus Zenpad z8s and will be testing it this weekend.

Thank you

i use an ipad mini 5 wifi only with my MA2. If I want the maps on, I use my cell phone as a hotspot to connect the mini 5. Works great.

Reactions: Jaldrich

I've been having some issues with my MA2. First, the range is nowhere near what the standard controller and my iPhone has. Also the aircraft direction indicator is of something like 120 degrees all the time. I tried recalibrating everything multiple times and even had the contoller replaced and I still have the same problem. Love the bright screen though!

I've been having some issues with my MA2. First, the range is nowhere near what the standard controller and my iPhone has. Also the aircraft direction indicator is of something like 120 degrees all the time. I tried recalibrating everything multiple times and even had the contoller replaced and I still have the same problem. Love the bright screen though!
Recommend you start a new thread to get answers to your specific question rather than having confusion with answers to the OP.

Reactions: quasarchris
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vamocognito