DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart Glasses w/regular controller...or just Smart Controller?

I opted for the BT-300 glasses because in most cases I fly alone & don’t have a spotter. These glasses allow me to have constant awareness of my surroundings as well as VLOS of my Mavic 2 Pro. The BT-300 are foldable which make for great portability once you have to pack up, unlike the BT-35e or BT-350. The only annoying thing about the BT-300 is the Android controller/touchpad. It’s too sensitive even at the least sensitive setting. I couldn’t even create a square to highlight a subject in QuickShot mode. The controller has also had overheating issues that may have been resolved with the latest firmware. So I purchased the Moverio HDMI interface ($284.87), modded my AppleTV to be powered via USB from a tiny 3000mah powerbank, ditched the BT-300 Android controller in favor of wireless mirroring using Apple’s Peer-to-Peer AirPlay from my iPhone 8 Plus w/standard DJI controller. I have no video dropouts, no noticeable lag & the entire contraption fits in small fanny pack. I originally wanted to buy the Smart Controller, but I got spooked by countless issues posted in this forum & the FaceBook groups I belong to, of mid-flight disconnections, that leaves you with no video which could be scary if you loose VLOS temporarily until you can restart the GO 4 or FLY app. I also have done a lot of reading up on the Smart Controller & have concluded that it’s too expensive at $749 and is underpowered to handle future DJI drones that will require more processing with power-hungry iterations of the GO 4 or FLY apps. With the AppleTV Airplay option, the only issue I see is if your BT-300 video cuts out, which would only happen if you forgot to fully charge the powerbank. But you still have video from your iPhone w/standard controller which allows you to continue flying or have it RTH safely! One last tip is that you can also recoup some money by selling the BT-300 Android controller on it’s own. Hope this gives you an affordable & future-proof solution to consider.

Last edited:
I would go Smart controller * and 2nd hand Dji white goggles on ebay ($200)...
more for Re version,if budget is rigid.
Don't think I've come across anyone who doesn't like the SM,makes the whole experience quick and easy
What are you referring to when you say “Don't think I've come across anyone who doesn't like the SM”? What does SM stand for? Or did you mean to say SC for Smart Controller?

Last edited:
I run the smart controller and the bt-35e smart glasses with my mavic zoom best set up I ever used tried the DJI white goggles and I noticed I sweat a lot when wearing them

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143