DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart Glasses w/regular controller...or just Smart Controller?

greghoggatt

Reactions
I’m brand new to professional drones. It was a relatively easy decision to covet the M2P. (I don’t have anything yet.) My original plan was to get a bundle from Amazon for around $1,800 and get the DJI VR Goggles. Then I saw some YouTube videos on the Smart Controller. Sold me. Then I saw the BT-300 Epson Glasses. WOW! So here’s my dilemma...I can upgrade the basic package with a Smart Controller for about $400 more. That would be a total of around $2,200. Or, I could get the package with the basic controller, and order the BT-300 from Epson. Right now they’re discounted to $600, making the total package $2,400. Kind of like getting the BT-300’s for just $200 bucks. Without the Smart Controller, of course.

I’m 62, retiring as an international airline pilot in 2 1/2 years and was an avid photo enthusiast until the iPhone/iPad made me lazy. I flew F-14’s/F-16’s before going commercial over 30 years ago. I have lots of real estate contacts, and living on the water, know the guys who rent jet skis and have parasail operations. So I’m looking on making this a business.

What are your thoughts for a guy just starting out? Basic package with the glasses. Or Smart Controller package without?

Reactions: halifax
I like the smart controller very much and with the Moverio glasses you get the best of both worlds. You a redundant backup so if for some reason there is a problem with the glasses you have the screen on the controller. Also it's nice not having to use a phone or tablet. If you go with the standard controller the BT-300 is what you need. If you go with the smart controller then the BT-35 is the correct glasses. If you get the standard controller you can only use one device ( phone, tablet, or glasses) with the smart controller you can have two devices.
Where are you located?

I”m on the Emerald Coast of Florida. The Panhandle. I’m not familiar with the BT-35. I’ll check for YT videos. Do you recommend any specific links?

I”m on the Emerald Coast of Florida. The Panhandle. I’m not familiar with the BT-35. I’ll check for YT videos. Do you recommend any specific links?

$900. I’ll need some more positive reinforcement before investing that much. Have the BT-300’s been discontinued? Some have said they have been but it appears that Epson is still taking orders.

The BT-35 is the newest version of the Moverio glasses.
Here is a link that shows them.
Do you ever get up to the Philadelphia or Newark airports?
I would be glad to let you see how they work.

Reactions: TreeHugger
I’m brand new to professional drones. It was a relatively easy decision to covet the M2P. (I don’t have anything yet.) My original plan was to get a bundle from Amazon for around $1,800 and get the DJI VR Goggles. Then I saw some YouTube videos on the Smart Controller. Sold me. Then I saw the BT-300 Epson Glasses. WOW! So here’s my dilemma...I can upgrade the basic package with a Smart Controller for about $400 more. That would be a total of around $2,200. Or, I could get the package with the basic controller, and order the BT-300 from Epson. Right now they’re discounted to $600, making the total package $2,400. Kind of like getting the BT-300’s for just $200 bucks. Without the Smart Controller, of course.

I’m 62, retiring as an international airline pilot in 2 1/2 years and was an avid photo enthusiast until the iPhone/iPad made me lazy. I flew F-14’s/F-16’s before going commercial over 30 years ago. I have lots of real estate contacts, and living on the water, know the guys who rent jet skis and have parasail operations. So I’m looking on making this a business.

What are your thoughts for a guy just starting out? Basic package with the glasses. Or Smart Controller package without?

I just ordered the BT-300 firstly because I have a regular RC and don't want to carry around an ipad with me all the time. Plus, a lot of times I can't find the drone after looking down at the ipad, and lots of times I can't even see the ipad due to sun issues that I have tried to correct with sunshades and screen covers. The BT-35's seem to be more of a sharable solution but you do need that ipad or cell phone, or smart controller. So for me, I've ordered the BT-300 to basically replace my ipad and give me a view of what I want to take pictures of.

Reactions: ksmusa
I just ordered the BT-300 firstly because I have a regular RC and don't want to carry around an ipad with me all the time. Plus, a lot of times I can't find the drone after looking down at the ipad, and lots of times I can't even see the ipad due to sun issues that I have tried to correct with sunshades and screen covers. The BT-35's seem to be more of a sharable solution but you do need that ipad or cell phone, or smart controller. So for me, I've ordered the BT-300 to basically replace my ipad and give me a view of what I want to take pictures of.
You have the regular controller so the BT-300 is the correct glasses for you. You will love them. I agree using a iPad or phone even with sun shades never worked fo me.

Reactions: ksmusa
You have the regular controller so the BT-300 is the correct glasses for you. You will love them. I agree using a iPad or phone even with sun shades never worked fo me.

I think I will like them a lot. Can't wait till Tuesday rolls around. If the OP simply wants to use them for himself I think that is the way to go. But, if he wants to share what the drone is seeing with someone else like a coworker or family and friends then I can see the need for the BT-35's.

Difficult one. I have owned my BT-300s for about a year. For me they provide the best visibility solution by far, even compared to a double decker Hoodman with tripod mounted iPad mini, which is my other set-up.

I use the BT-300s mounted in the Rochester Optical Solitaire enclosure with the Solitaire shade, which prevents the glasses moving about and gives the best background, although reduces the all-round view.

Setting them up takes a while and the dedicated Android touchpad unit is not the easiest thing to use. Epson's version of DJI Go 4 has a continuing bug related to the map and does not contain some of the enhancements contained in the recent iOS and standard Android versions.

I still find myself using the iPad for more demanding operations, where I want to use flight modes or apps (like Drone Deploy) which are either not available on the BT-300 or where there is a extensive amounts of in-flight screen input required (which the BT-300 does not handle well).

If screen glare is as much a problem for you as for me (66 years old but good eyesight) then you may have problems finding a good enough hood for the Smart Controller.

Despite all this, when set up, the BT-300s make for a uniquely satisfying flying experience which it would be a pity to miss.

It's augmented reality. You see through the glasses to view VLOS, and shift your eye focus to view the semi-trandparent screen.

Think of movies where a cyborg sees data right in its eye while still seeing the world around it.

It only works on the RC1A remote, not the B. Nobody knows what the difference is between A and B, other than 300 not working on B.
Also can't say how outdated the Go app is that's built into the 300. However someone came up with the idea to use a regular phone and wirelessly mirror to the 300 controller.

It only works on the RC1A remote, not the B. Nobody knows what the difference is between A and B, other than 300 not working on B.
Also can't say how outdated the Go app is that's built into the 300. However someone came up with the idea to use a regular phone and wirelessly mirror to the 300 controller.
You aren’t restricted to the GO4 version in the Moverio store- trivial exercise to sideload any version you like.

Reactions: Flycaster
Difficult one. I have owned my BT-300s for about a year. For me they provide the best visibility solution by far, even compared to a double decker Hoodman with tripod mounted iPad mini, which is my other set-up.

I use the BT-300s mounted in the Rochester Optical Solitaire enclosure with the Solitaire shade, which prevents the glasses moving about and gives the best background, although reduces the all-round view.

Setting them up takes a while and the dedicated Android touchpad unit is not the easiest thing to use. Epson's version of DJI Go 4 has a continuing bug related to the map and does not contain some of the enhancements contained in the recent iOS and standard Android versions.

I still find myself using the iPad for more demanding operations, where I want to use flight modes or apps (like Drone Deploy) which are either not available on the BT-300 or where there is a extensive amounts of in-flight screen input required (which the BT-300 does not handle well).

If screen glare is as much a problem for you as for me (66 years old but good eyesight) then you may have problems finding a good enough hood for the Smart Controller.

Despite all this, when set up, the BT-300s make for a uniquely satisfying flying experience which it would be a pity to miss.

I wiped my Moverios myself when they arrived and loaded 4.0.5 of the Go app. Real early version, as it is not as resource hungry as the app "grew"....
Same on my tablet, and never updated my bird or controller since I cracked the boxes and activate over 2.5 years ago.

Zero issues....

I went with the Moverios (BT-300) for mainly for the "situational awareness" aspect.
Goggles way to confining, and folks can "sneak up on you", unless you have eagle hearing....
Now as to the MP2, I believe they work, as long as you happen to get the RC1B version of the controller. The RC2B did not work for some folks, they got the RC1B unit, and all was happy.

More here:

I went with the Moverios (BT-300) for mainly for the "situational awareness" aspect.
Goggles way to confining, and folks can "sneak up on you", unless you have eagle hearing....
Now as to the MP2, I believe they work, as long as you happen to get the RC1B version of the controller. The RC2B did not work for some folks, they got the RC1B unit, and all was happy.

More here:

Due to the latest firmware upgrade to the M2P and M2Z, both models of the remote controller (RC1A and RC1B) now work with the Epson BT-300.
Previously only the RC1A model of the remote controller worked.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsplum