DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart Remote Controller or Basic Controller / Fly More Combo

The SC becomes an essential piece of kit as soon as you try/fly it. Fiddling around with phones or tablets, mounts etc, seems so unnecessary when you can just get the smart controller instead.
Expensive? yes. Necessary for full enjoyment of mavic + mini2 drones? Yes.
So, where is the Mini2 support??

The diminished size of the tiny SC screen compared to any iPad has also been definitely proven. The iOS version of the flying app is also far superior historically in terms of support from DJI. The brighter SC screen is highly overrated, as any shade, sun umbrella, or hood will achieve the same result in midday sun. If quick deployment is your goal, just use a dedicated iPad and keep it permanently installed on the RC. Lots of better, cheaper solutions to the advertised "benefits" of the SC.
I use the SC with a Feelworld monitor attached (2200 NITS), love my setup. The only drawback is it reduces portability.

Attachments

• FW279 on SC.JPG
    FW279 on SC.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: Scubadiver1944
My only concern about the SC (other than the major PIA it appears to be to update) is reports that the range is less than the regular RC plus phone/tablet setup
I have been using the SC with my M2P with no complaints. When the updated the FW to add the MA2 to the SC, the MA2 flew fine with no complaints including range. However, when I selected the M2P from the menu, it started having reduced range, reporting connection issues at less than a 1000'. I have seen others reports of this on the Net. I recently installed a newer FW update, just haven't had the chance to test it since. The notes for the latest update did not mention a correction for this issue. So waiting for weather to allow me to fly again.

Hello Everyone. I see that there are a fair number of issues concerning the DJI Smart Controller. In general is it worth getting a new smart controller with the purchase of a Fly More Combo (MA2) or would you recommend just sticking with the original controller when purchasing a new MA2? I suspect that I would save some money on the price of the Smart Controller when having it bundled up with the Fly More Combo ? Maybe the simple plain controller might be a safe way to go. Any comments?
I've had the smart Controller a long time and love it. Never had a problem with it of any kind. It's so fast from startup to in the air, and the screen is great in any light. Just don't load it up with a bunch of junk and it will work great. Other than the usual updates, mine is exactly as it came from the factory and always works great. I guess it comes down to whether you want to spend the extra money, there is nothing wrong with the controller itself. Remember, there are folks who have trouble with everything, sometimes it's not the fault of the device. The smart controller will also work with several different models which is nice. Sadly not the Mini 2 yet at this time though, but maybe at some point.

Reactions: JNL
Most folks complaining about the SC do so because they either haven't used one or just don't want to spend the money in my opinion since it works so well, and when purchased with the combo kit is a deal. The very first glaring thing you notice using it is the lack of cables and other do das required to fly with other controllers, Ipads, etc. Turn it and the drone on and go fly. That simple. The screen is very nice, bright and works well in the sun. That obviates another do da, the sun shade. Yes, the screen is smaller than a monster Ipad, but it fits very comfortably in your hands, again, not doing a balancing act with all the weight on the OEM controllers. Hopefully DJI will make it available to the entire line up and not just a couple.
Yes agree with you 100%. Those saying not to get it have not experienced it! I could never go back to my iPhone 11Pro or iPad. Plus I always felt like I was going to break the adapter/antenna that holds the iPhone/ipad on the original controller. Too much weight on it with an iPad and sunscreen. Plus in killed my wrists holding the extra weight. Not too mention the bright screen which is useable in direct sunlight!

Reactions: JNL
Oh how wonderfully inspiring - thanks

Perhaps not very inspiring, but with 40 years in Software Engineering, I can assure you it's true.

IMHO I like to use my iPhone 12 Pro Max or an iPad mini and will continue to do so. I think the smart controller is great but I’ve only used it once. If I’m not mistaken it’s only 720p vs much higher resolution in the other devices. Also the screen size is too small. Since it runs Android I think DJI could’ve utilized more of the features like gestures and added touchscreen functionality. Also I feel the processor in the controller is marginal at best. They would’ve been better off going for a mid range snapdragon processor. That said the SC is awesome. I only have the MA2 right now but I do expect a Mavic 3 Pro (or whatever it will be named) this year and wouldn’t be surprised with some nice updates for the SC as well. As awesome as it is and I would love to have one I think it’s too expensive for what it is. That said I did spend around $800 for the Futaba 7PXR remote for my RC buggies/truggy and my monster truck but I feel t. If I got a M2 Pro I might opt for the SC but I really like the MA2 controller so I’m very happy. Personally I would save the cash.

I will say if you are buying it with the combo I think it’s $1399 for the MA2 Fly More with SC so the price does become much more appealing so if you like the SC that’s the way to go as it’s a pretty big savings.

Hello Everyone. I see that there are a fair number of issues concerning the DJI Smart Controller. In general is it worth getting a new smart controller with the purchase of a Fly More Combo (MA2) or would you recommend just sticking with the original controller when purchasing a new MA2? I suspect that I would save some money on the price of the Smart Controller when having it bundled up with the Fly More Combo ? Maybe the simple plain controller might be a safe way to go. Any comments?
Bought SC last spring in anticipation of it being compatible with MA2 so I could carry only one controller with my M2P and MA2. It took a while, but it’s a great solution. I had been using CS 5.5’ with M2P as well as MP, MA. Easy to mount on the DJI bracket, and long battery life, and not having to duck for shade in order to read iPhone. Unfortunately CS is outdated with its 32 bit processor, unable to run Fly. Hazards of early adoption of emerging technology. Only downsides of SC for me is android rather than iOS. I can live with that. Looking forward to more drone updates and still compatible with SC.

Reactions: hiflyer201
Hazards of early adoption of emerging technology.
I'm fine with my Iphone. With the super fast advances in DJI drones in the short time that I've been flying, I see the SC becoming outdated way too soon for the extra bucks.

I have a cousin that started flying a couple of months before me. He uses the stock controller/iphone combination and one time forgot to put the phone in airplane mode. Not sure what happened but some setting in his phone allowed another app to override the fly app resulting in a crash. That alone pushed me toward the smart controller because I could see that happening to me too. I don't like apple and only use android devices. I have one of the best Samsung tablets made but to get a bright picture on a clear day burns the battery to the ground quickly. I watched several YouTube videos before I made my drone/controller purchase to see what drone/controller to buy. I am clumsy with holding equipment and even though the tablet/controller combination looked cool I knew I would drop it on the ground in short order. I also didn't care for using my phone because the issue state above and if I turn the brightness up on my Samsung Note the battery doesn't last long at all. I want to go out flying for a couple of hours i really don't want my phone off (airplane mode) for that long of time. I ended up purchasing the smart controller and have never regretted it. I use a camera strap and hang it around my neck so its virtually impossible to drop it. I love to fly, have the Mavic Pro 2 with six batteries for the drone. The screen at max brightness is easy to see on sunny days and only a had a couple of times where I needed to turn my back to the sun to block the light. If I use all six batteries up flying I get better than 2 1/2 hours of actual flight time and the smart controller still has approximately 45% of battery life left. I have never regretted purchasing the smart controller and couldn't see flying my drone using a phone or tablet. It was worth every penny I paid for it.

Reactions: Crashdummytest
I've had all the controllers in the Mavic series (Pro, Spark, Mini-old style) with the exception of the "stock" version for the MA2. After reading the comments here (and the dribbles and whines on the DJI Forum), then watching a half dozen "reviews" on YouTube, I decided to purchase one as a part of the Bundle with the MA2. I rationalized ( nay, mitigated the increased price ) by taking advantage of the DJI buy-back when they offered a 20% premium (on the buy-back). I 'sold' them my Mini and Alpine Pro, and the buy back allowed me to upgrade the purchase to the Smart bundle.

Worth every every penny. No struggling with cables and connecting the cable; no messing with keeping the phone/ipad charged and separately updating the app(s); the screen brightness, size, and responsiveness is ideal. Turn on the aircraft, turn on the SC, they hug each other and Fly loads automatically (it recognizes which aircraft was last flown), tap Go Fly, and it's in the air. While slightly heavier than using a phone, the trade off of convenience and much brighter screen is worth it.

As a "hater" of Android operating systems, spending an hour or so messing with the app (after watching a few YouTubes on software updating, navigation and the like) made it seamless, for me. Since purchasing I've had two aircraft firmware updates, and two Fly updates, one round of battery updates, and two SC firmware updates... slow (my rural internet connection is pathetic) but being patient, following directions, using the DJI based downloads, being methodical, worked most of the time... no different from firmware updates using other controllers.

No regrets; only one disappointment... no offline maps like what's available in DJI Go4. FWIW, that's not available with the "stock" controller, so not really a Smart Controller issue. However, I would have expected that to be a major benefit for a premium accessory.

Hmm...... using the Fly app 1.2.1 I have been able to cash maps on the mini & the MA2 with the stock controller & 2 different phones?

Reactions: rxlawdude
IMHO I like to use my iPhone 12 Pro Max or an iPad mini and will continue to do so. I think the smart controller is great but I’ve only used it once. If I’m not mistaken it’s only 720p vs much higher resolution in the other devices. Also the screen size is too small. Since it runs Android I think DJI could’ve utilized more of the features like gestures and added touchscreen functionality. Also I feel the processor in the controller is marginal at best. They would’ve been better off going for a mid range snapdragon processor. That said the SC is awesome. I only have the MA2 right now but I do expect a Mavic 3 Pro (or whatever it will be named) this year and wouldn’t be surprised with some nice updates for the SC as well. As awesome as it is and I would love to have one I think it’s too expensive for what it is. That said I did spend around $800 for the Futaba 7PXR remote for my RC buggies/truggy and my monster truck but I feel t. If I got a M2 Pro I might opt for the SC but I really like the MA2 controller so I’m very happy. Personally I would save the cash.

I will say if you are buying it with the combo I think it’s $1399 for the MA2 Fly More with SC so the price does become much more appealing so if you like the SC that’s the way to go as it’s a pretty big savings.
The smart controller is 1080p, which is the same resolution as you get from Ocusync, so resolution is not an issue. The new Samsung S21 and S21+ Also max out at 1080p. As do the Iphone 6-8 The Some of the X's and the iPhone 11 is actually less than 1080p, as is the new SE. You have to have your face within 3-4 inches of a screen that size to tell. Your 12 Pro Max is a good bit better, although the larger screen-size somewhat negates that.

It is touchscreen, so not sure what you mean by they should have added touchscreen functionality. It does run an older Android version, so you aren't going to see all the gestures that come with the newer versions, but it supports the full (old) Android touch-screen controls.

The processor, however, may be notable, and over time may be the weak point. It is actually a decent processor for what what the SC was envisioned for...running some light Android apps, processing video, and supporting a second screen via HDMI out. For things like Android TV boxes, it does great, as it can deal with 4k video, and supports dual output. It even made for a good mid-rage Chromebook chip. While it does under-perform the best Snapdragon chips of the day by a little, it was a pretty good chip for the purpose and probably made much more sense as for DJI as the biggest differences (size and power efficiency) probably don't matter in this application as the screen will hog power. It is also good bit cheaper. The problem is, it is now 4 years old, the Fly App is becoming more demanding, and most users are adding other apps as well. So far, it's not really an issue, but could be over time.

If the "Smart Controller 2" had a more modern processor and a newer version of Android, I'd be happy even if everything else was exactly the same. Nice-to-haves would be a little bigger screen, more battery life and such, but I'm happy.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13