DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart Remote Controller or Basic Controller / Fly More Combo

Mr Mint

Reactions
Hello Everyone. I see that there are a fair number of issues concerning the DJI Smart Controller. In general is it worth getting a new smart controller with the purchase of a Fly More Combo (MA2) or would you recommend just sticking with the original controller when purchasing a new MA2? I suspect that I would save some money on the price of the Smart Controller when having it bundled up with the Fly More Combo ? Maybe the simple plain controller might be a safe way to go. Any comments?

I just use the regular controller.

Reactions: Squidinc
Hello Everyone. I see that there are a fair number of issues concerning the DJI Smart Controller. In general is it worth getting a new smart controller with the purchase of a Fly More Combo (MA2) or would you recommend just sticking with the original controller when purchasing a new MA2? I suspect that I would save some money on the price of the Smart Controller when having it bundled up with the Fly More Combo ? Maybe the simple plain controller might be a safe way to go. Any comments?
I bought the plain package but in hindsight the package with the smart controller is a great deal. They are essentially giving it to you for $400.......and it retails for $750. You can sell the SC for a minimum of $600 currently on the classifieds here should you decide to move on from it.

I bought the plain package but in hindsight the package with the smart controller is a great deal. They are essentially giving it to you for $400.......and it retails for $750. You can sell the SC for a minimum of $600 currently on the classifieds here should you decide to move on from it.
My only concern about the SC (other than the major PIA it appears to be to update) is reports that the range is less than the regular RC plus phone/tablet setup.

My only concern about the SC (other than the major PIA it appears to be to update) is reports that the range is less than the regular RC plus phone/tablet setup.
The problem with that is:
Many of us update with zero issues because we follow set procedures and outlines, so where does that leave those reports? A SC issue or OE? See my thread on the latest SC update and why was I able to click download and install with Zero issues? DJI Smart Controller......New Firmware Again...V01.00.0880 The problem stems from about 90% of reports not clearing enough memory (As requested in release notes to have) and getting hung and then getting frustrated doing it over and over again (which just makes it worse) and then doing a factory reset (Which clears memory) and then updates go through and then complaining about all the hassle, when again in most instances had they just done it right the first time, it's a few clicks and it's updated.

Range has also been debunked as well, many videos on You tube to prove that. So again are we to believe that "Sometimes" the SC seems to be less range and sometimes the original remote get less range, or would it just be normal as most know that conditions at any given time change in areas of flight?

Or the SC just gets less range than stock as a proven fact. :oops: Granted I have a combo so never had a stock controller, but I know my M2 can fly easily to it's spec'd range, and it seems from numerous reports others can do the same.

My father always told me from a young age: "nobody has time to do anything right, but they seem to have no problem wasting time to do it over."

Thanks, Repaid1. This is the Internet, so some information tends to be less reliable than fact. I'm glad to hear it's at least as good as the RC, and screen brightness is supposedly superior to pretty much all phones and tablets (with maybe one or two exceptions).

Regarding the smart controller, to my understanding , the processor is an android base 32 bit operating system. Comparing this to a Mini 5 Ipad, I think it is a 64 bit apple based operating system. I think I see an advantage of using the I pad mini as part of the controller because I can also use the Ipad for many other uses where as the Smart Controller is a dedicated device that would have limited use compared to the Ipad. Any comments?

Regarding the smart controller, to my understanding , the processor is an android base 32 bit operating system. Comparing this to a Mini 5 Ipad, I think it is a 64 bit apple based operating system. I think I see an advantage of using the I pad mini as part of the controller because I can also use the Ipad for many other uses where as the Smart Controller is a dedicated device that would have limited use compared to the Ipad. Any comments?
That turned out possibly not to be correct either.

Actually you're being credited $350 for the standard remote that is replaced with the SC.

What would be nice is if you already have the SC, that you could order a compatible model without RC.

That turned out possibly not to be correct either.
As I understand, and I ain't all into it...nor care to be, it's all about running a Android 64 bit kernel OS that is the main thing. Not so much the Processor side...then again I read that on the internet :p

I bought the smart controller and it is so easy to use and fly the MA2 and Zoom. I know people are taking about range but it has outstanding range and far beyond the VLOS. If you get the combo pack it is a better deal, if not you will have a back up controller is you needed it to fly more than 3 batteries if you ran out of power. Last, the stock controller and an iPhone is no match for the smart controller! Just my 2 cents worth. Happy Flying!!

The diminished size of the tiny SC screen compared to any iPad has also been definitely proven. The iOS version of the flying app is also far superior historically in terms of support from DJI. The brighter SC screen is highly overrated, as any shade, sun umbrella, or hood will achieve the same result in midday sun. If quick deployment is your goal, just use a dedicated iPad and keep it permanently installed on the RC. Lots of better, cheaper solutions to the advertised "benefits" of the SC.

Reactions: normanh2
Most folks complaining about the SC do so because they either haven't used one or just don't want to spend the money in my opinion since it works so well, and when purchased with the combo kit is a deal. The very first glaring thing you notice using it is the lack of cables and other do das required to fly with other controllers, Ipads, etc. Turn it and the drone on and go fly. That simple. The screen is very nice, bright and works well in the sun. That obviates another do da, the sun shade. Yes, the screen is smaller than a monster Ipad, but it fits very comfortably in your hands, again, not doing a balancing act with all the weight on the OEM controllers. Hopefully DJI will make it available to the entire line up and not just a couple.

Most folks complaining about the SC do so because they either haven't used one or just don't want to spend the money in my opinion since it works so well, and when purchased with the combo kit is a deal. The very first glaring thing you notice using it is the lack of cables and other do das required to fly with other controllers, Ipads, etc. Turn it and the drone on and go fly. That simple. The screen is very nice, bright and works well in the sun. That obviates another do da, the sun shade. Yes, the screen is smaller than a monster Ipad, but it fits very comfortably in your hands, again, not doing a balancing act with all the weight on the OEM controllers. Hopefully DJI will make it available to the entire line up and not just a couple.
I totally agree with everything you said. I have used a iPhone and a iPad before I got a smart controller and would not go back to any of them. The SC is just so much better, yes the screen is smaller than an iPad, but the quality is superior. As @jetlag said there is no need for a sun hood, no cables or controller mount. I can have my M2P in the air within a couple of minutes.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54