DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smooth Yaw in Sport mode

oscaro

Reactions
Hi everybody,

As I mentionned in my presentation post, I'm used to fly my drone following wakeboarders. I previously was flying with a P4, which I sold for a Mavic.

I went for a fly this weekend, following a friend of mine. I've set the drone into Sport mode, since regular mode isn't fast enough to efficiently follow the guys. What I was surprised with, compared to the Phantom 4, is how rough and hard the YAW turns are ! I've set all the settings which made sense to me to the lowest value available (Sensitivity to 50 and Exp to 0.10), but the drone still turns too fast ! Moreover, after a quick YAW turn, the drone seems to knida "lose the horizon", becomes not "parallel", and slowly returns back to normal, which is very annoying !

Anyone having this issue, and solved it ?

Cheers,
Oscar

Last edited:
I think trying to get smooth cinematography out of sport mode is quite difficult unless they're all straight follow or lead shots. Using the Yaw you have to go very light and feather it... and even then it will be jerky. Have you considered using Sport for the chase scenes and switching to normal for the turning/yaw stuff?

Since The Phantom has a camera that turns independently of the drone, you won't be able to duplicate this unless you switch into follow modes, albeit not in sport modes. The Phantom and the Mavic are quite different in this way.. you've traded portability for smoother camera movement...though some of it will come in time with stick/gimbal practice.

Extending the joysticks on the controller can help you gain a little more precise control, if that interests you. There are pen-caps that fit perfectly on the sticks which extend them, making very slight movements easier with your thumbs, making it easier to yaw or turn slower.

As far as I know, the "slow-to-return-to-level-horizon" problem is inherent in most mavics. After hard, quick yawing or stopping or turning, the gimbal takes a few seconds to balance out. I've tried a few things to fix this but have found nothing that really works. As mentioned above, I wouldn't expect great-smooth video when flying around in sport mode.

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
Hi everybody,

As I mentionned in my presentation post, I'm used to fly my drone following wakeboarders. I previously was flying with a P4, which I sold for a Mavic.

I went for a fly this weekend, following a friend of mine. I've set the drone into Sport mode, since regular mode isn't fast enough to efficiently follow the guys. What I was surprised with, compared to the Phantom 4, is how rough and hard the YAW turns are ! I've set all the settings which made sense to me to the lowest value available (Sensitivity to 50 and Exp to 0.10), but the drone still turns too fast ! Moreover, after a quick YAW turn, the drone seems to knida "lose the horizon", becomes not "parallel", and slowly returns back to normal, which is very annoying !

Anyone having this issue, and solved it ?

Cheers,
Oscar
The Mavic is just not as smooth as the P4 bottom line , I've tried several different settings , these are just my findings...

Thanks everybody for your answers.
So you're all confirming me what I thought :(

With the P4, even in sport mode, I still managed to get a kinda smooth YAW turn.
Maybe it requires a bit of practice with the Mavic indeed.
Or I'll give it a try in classic mode. Got to follow people going 30-35kmh, so I doubt classic will do the trick ...

TrayBoys, you're talking about pen-caps .. like pen-caps you can find on your desk ? Or some specific accessory ?

Smooth yaw in Sport actually can be set in the parameter. You can't set it in Go4. Unfortunately, we are not allowed to talk about parameter changes here as it is considered as hacking.

Edit: If you only need to do 30-35kph, you can do it in P mode. Just turn off your Obstacle Aviodance. Even with a bit of headwind, it would still be able to do 30-35kph.

Reactions: Wilbur and Jaysjob
Alright, so it would be with an "unofficial" way to do it, right ? Not with another app ?
Sure, I thnik that these speeds can be reached in P-mode, however, these speed levels are quite "long" to reach, whereas in Sport mode, it accelerates way more quickly !

Smooth yaw in Sport actually can be set in the parameter. You can't set it in Go4. Unfortunately, we are not allowed to talk about parameter changes here as it is considered as hacking.

Edit: If you only need to do 30-35kph, you can do it in P mode. Just turn off your Obstacle Aviodance. Even with a bit of headwind, it would still be able to do 30-35kph.
Can you PM me this specific parameter (smooth yaw s-mode), might be handy in time.

Normal mode with OA off is only about 10km/h slower than sport mode but maintains "normal" sensitivity settings.

Alright, so it would be with an "unofficial" way to do it, right ? Not with another app ?
Sure, I thnik that these speeds can be reached in P-mode, however, these speed levels are quite "long" to reach, whereas in Sport mode, it accelerates way more quickly !
Correct. Unfortunately this forum put a blanket ban on parameter changes. Admittedly, in the wrong hands some of the changes could be harmful to our hobby in the future. But parameter changes are not only about NFZ and height limit removal, there are others that could be beneficial yet "harmless". Well, rules are rules, we'll just have to follow them here. There are other forurms that allow such discussions.

We can make P mode almost as fast and quick to accellerate as Sport mode while maintaining it's smoothness, but it's back to parameter changes... oh well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mavick Mel
Normal mode with OA off is only about 10km/h slower than sport mode but maintains "normal" sensitivity settings.
Alright, I shall give it a try then ;)

Correct. Unfortunately this forum put a blanket ban on parameter changes. Admittedly, in the wrong hands some of the changes could be harmful to our hobby in the future. But parameter changes are not only about NFZ and height limit removal, there are others that could be beneficial yet "harmless". Well, rules are rules, we'll just have to follow them here. There are other forurms that allow such discussions.

We can make P mode almost as fast and quick to accellerate as Sport mode while mainting it's smoothness, but it's back to parameter changes... oh well.
Maybe you can send me a PM too then ? Cheers ;)

Maybe you can send me a PM too then ? Cheers ;)
Sure can, but if your Mavic is not "unlocked", have all the latest FW, Assistant, and Go4 App, then it's going to be a rather steep learning curve. The prime time was 3-4 months ago :). If you think you are willing to do it, send me a PM.

If all you need is to be able to follow surfers and have little interest in doing other stuffs, try with OA off first, see if it meets your needs.

Alright Porto, I'm gonna check OA off first, if it isn't sufficient, I'll ask you again then :)

We can make P mode almost as fast and quick to accellerate as Sport mode while maintaining it's smoothness, but it's back to parameter changes... oh well.

Would you mind sending me a PM with this info as well?
Thanks!

The best result I've been able to achieve with fast flight speed and smooth cinematography is a simple fix, but it does have limitations...

Litchi allows a top cruising speed of 54km/h when using waypoint mode. I've used this quite effectively doing a high speed tracking shot but here's the limitation - you need to set a waypoint course first, so your constrained to that course. That said, you can make it work for you really well: if you know the rough course your wakeboarding friends are going take, set that course. I would also set altitude presets here too, since you can get some nice cinematography by changing your altitude relative to the subject. Finally, set aircraft rotation and gimbal pitch to manual. This allows you to keep pointing at your subject despite not being able to predict 100% where they're going to be at any point in time. This also allows to deal with acceleration; just because the Mavic can't accelerate as fast as a wakeboarder, doesn't mean you can't still get great shots.

This is the method I used to capture this footage, which, with the tailwind I had, was shot at 62km/h.

Reactions: lisadoc

Hello!
So shutting off obstacle avoidance with give you some extra speed? Do you know why this is?
Thanks!
Jay

Hello!
So shutting off obstacle avoidance with give you some extra speed? Do you know why this is?
Thanks!
Jay
Not allowed to discuss about parameters here. My advice: if you don't need the OA, it will do you more good to switch it off rather than leave it on.

Reactions: Jaysjob
I see some new members asking me about smooth sport yaw parameter. Please note that you can only change your parameters if your Mavic is unlocked. For those whose Mavic is already unlocked, you can sent me PM for the parameter. For those whose not, I am sorry I can't help you. Well, rules are rules. We have to follow those rules as we have already agreed to them when we joined this forum :)

Many maybe unaware that Sport EXP setting is separate from Normal EXP. We can set Sport's Yaw EXP to a more sluggish value such as 0.20 or even 0.15. While that is only half of the solution, it's better than nothing :)

Reactions: strdr and Jaysjob
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard