DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

So bummed - no drones allowed on Alaska cruise

There is NO way on earth that any cruise line would allow a guest to on-board with a tank of compressed gas in their luggage!

Reactions: chiangmaicharlies
A few months ago, my entire extended family booked an adventure cruise in Alaska through National Geographic/Linblad Travel. In some of the promotional details for the trip they included great drone footage, and it inspired me (along with the Costco DJI Mini 2 deal) to start learning to pilot and take effective drone footage. In my mind, I had a year to practice my piloting and photography skills with my new photography platform.

These Linblad trips have an adventure photography director on each boat and our cruise will be led by a National Geographic photographer, which is great. He had a link to a previous preparation webinar posted in his profile, so I decided to check it out. I was incredibly excited about the different photography equipment and options being discussed for these cruises. Right until he put up a slide in the webinar with a DIJ drone and a huge red 'X' over the image and said drones were strictly prohibited on the cruise itself or any shore excursions.

I understand that an inexperienced pilot could be both unsafe and annoying to others on these trips, but **** I'm kicking myself for not doing better research first. I'm loving learning to pilot and consider this a new hobby, but it sucks to be going to one of the more scenic places I'll ever be and not be able to take the shots I'd been dreaming of.
That sucks.

It may be better to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission though.

Whst cruise line?
I was told the same thing when I went on a cruise out of Hawaii....I still took my drone....
Got on and off the ship with it...no problem...they never knew I had it....

Sorry to hear about the cruise line giving you such a difficult time.
I booked a cruise to Italy next year on the Princess Line, bringing my M2 with me no issue.
Checked with the cruise line in advance, and stressed that this drone looks like a toy, very light weight, it would cause no problems. I never bring the MP on a ship, it scares people just from the noise the props make.
And, I never, never, fly from the ship. Also, cruise lines that do not want to work with me lose my business, which amounted to $15.000 dollars. I will take my business to a company that is willing to work with me. As you already
know, do your research, and always good to talk with people that make the decision for the company.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000